Bus driver got mad at me today

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Today I went out with my daughter to celebrate my birthday. The second bus we boarded (after coffee), my bus tickets were stuck together and I had my gift from mini me in one hand. I tried to separate the tickets with the other hand and it wasn’t going quick, so my daughter helped me out. But the driver got pissy and yelled at me for not being ready ahead of time.

Still smirking about it. I wasn’t blocking anyone. Everyone else had boarded. And the driver had started going to the next stop.

But, it worked in my favour. I felt like I was 15 getting in trouble instead of 51. ;)

The irony was amusing.

This post has no point other than to share a laugh. I needed one. Maybe someone else relates.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I married a teacher. When she uses "that voice" on me, it's a free trip back to 9th grade.

Sometimes if an exchange goes off the rails with someone, I'll say "well, at least I didn't yell at them"...then Mrs says "no, but you used your Captain voice". (Which apparently is nearly as bad in this day and age 😂🤣).

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
That's required, by some stores anyway, here in Hoosierlandia.

My wife and I are both 69.

D.H.
Wow. Here in the UK you don't even have to carry or even possess an ID of any kind.

I currently have no valid ID. No passport, no driving licence.

If the police ask me if I have any ID I can just say . . . no. Good day.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Wow. Here in the UK you don't even have to carry or even possess an ID of any kind.

I currently have no valid ID. No passport, no driving licence.

If the police ask me if I have any ID I can just say . . . no. Good day.
In Texas, you don't HAVE to have I.D. just to walk along the street......but I.D. is required by law if you want to drive, (including proof of liability insurance) buy alcohol, vote, buy a gun or ammunition, CARRY a gun, enter most schools, write a check, open a bank account, and on and on.......
Also, since a driver's license number is better to identify yourself than anything else, (Social Security #, etc) I have mine memorized. After my house was broken into in 1994, and many things stolen, the police told me the best thing to do is engrave my D.L. # on everything, to aid in recovery. After doing so on probably 100 or more items, that number is kind of "engraved" in my brain.
BTW, don't you (in UK) have to have your National Health card for medical reasons?

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
In Texas, you don't HAVE to have I.D. just to walk along the street......but I.D. is required by law if you want to drive, (including proof of liability insurance) buy alcohol, vote, buy a gun or ammunition, CARRY a gun, enter most schools, write a check, open a bank account, and on and on.......
Also, since a driver's license number is better to identify yourself than anything else, (Social Security #, etc) I have mine memorized. After my house was broken into in 1994, and many things stolen, the police told me the best thing to do is engrave my D.L. # on everything, to aid in recovery. After doing so on probably 100 or more items, that number is kind of "engraved" in my brain.
BTW, don't you (in UK) have to have your National Health card for medical reasons?
No, you don't have to carry anything. No one is going to deny you medical care, even if you are technically not entitled to it.

And yes, if I want to drive I would need a licence, of course.

Funnily enough, last year I paid off my mortgage (yay!) It was really complicated to do it online so I went to my bank. They said they could do it in one payment but I'd need photo ID - which I don't have.

-So, what are my options?

-Well, you could write a cheque.

-But no one's written a cheque since before D-day.

-But you can.

-What I mean is no one has a cheque book any more. Including me.

-Then you need photo ID.

So . . . I went home and searched in my loft, and there was a grubby old cheque book from around the time of the Norman conquest (well, ok, about 2000), and I walked into my mortgage bank, wrote a cheque to myself for over 100k, and that was that.

Seems like not all the old systems have died out.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Bus drivers have bad days too, of course. The OPs ticket fumble was small beer, compared to dealing with intoxicated, abusive, or telephone obsessed passengers.
There are days when just sitting back, letting the driver make the decisions and take the strain, is the preferred solution.
I had missed my Saturday night city centre shows, over the last couple of years. Catching the last bus home, with my gig bag and a few beverages in my belly, is close to a perfect musical evening.
IMG_20190123_224914485.jpg

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I feel sorry for crabby people who hate their jobs, it make me not hate them which is my previous default response. I might say something like "I'm sorry I didn't meet your readiness expectations, I will strive to be better prepared in the future.". They will grumble because they are just that kind of person and I will smile because I have my life and not theirs

Last edited: