1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Burstbucker pro

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by speedy mcfeely, Aug 21, 2010.

1. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

Hey guys, just got a Les Paul DC. It has Burstbucker pros in it. They seem awful hot, I was wondering if anyone knew the specs of these guys. I found the Gibson website,but it just has propaganda. I want the classic PAF sound. If that is what the BB pros are supposed to sound like then maybe I don't want that sound?

Here are the obligatory pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

I've done some research on the BBs. The BB 3 & Pros are a little hotter than PAFs. You may check out the BB 1 & BB 2....less hot.

3. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

+1 You'll want a BB1 in the neck and a BB2 in the bridge.

4. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

The BB Pros I've had have all measured in the 7.8-8.5k ohm range... not very hot. They are almost the same as the BB1/BB2... the difference is that the Pros are wax potted & use A5 magnets instead of A2. I still have a set in my LP Standard, and recently used a set in a Guild Starfire V (335-style semi-hollow) project, both guitars sound great.

5. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

I think it's the Alnico 5 magnets and Gibson's winding that makes these pickups have an edge to them. I know a guy that swapped out his bridge pickup for a Duncan Custom 5 and was happy with it, but if you're not happy with the neck either, then it's probably best to try out the BB 1&2 set.

6. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

The BB Pros have the AL V magnet as mentioned above, and are generally hotter and many would say more harsh than the regular BBs. I like the BB Pros in the neck position, but they're a little zippy in the bridge for me. The BB3 (not Pro) is a great bridge pup for classic rock sounds. I gig regularly with a LP with a BB Pro neck/BB3 bridge set, and I play blues.

SD Alnico IIs are a nice warm, vintage sound, as are Gibson's Classic '57s; both are easy to find on the 'Bay.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck in terms of a classic "PAF"-type pup is the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary set, highly recommended. One of the characteristics of a so-called "real" PAF is they are actually a little on the bright side, and can have an almost single-coil like clarity. The 36ths have that mojo. I have a set of these in my main gigging axe, and love them. The neck pup is to die for.

Hope this helps...

-Tim

7. dkbemb10

dkbemb10 Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lover Humbuckers are about as close as you're gonna get to a PAF without actually paying the thousands of dollars for a real PAF

8. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I lowered the bridge pup a little bit and played with the amp eq some more... I think I'll just leave it alone. It sounds like a les paul, I am just used to vintage style single coils I guess.

I am contemplating a bigsby though.

9. MrRhoads

MrRhoads TDPRI Member

The coils in the burstbucker pro are wired in paralell which means you have half the resistance of the two coils.
    So a Burstbucker that reads 8,3kOhm actually has 16,6kOhm but since it´s wired in paralell it only gives 8,3kOhm.
    This i just my theory but i think it´s correct

10. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I'm no Gibson expert but find the idea that Gibson would have a humbucker that is wired in parallell quite strange. Also two humbucker coils in parallell tend to give an even cleaner and lower output sound than if you cut one of the coils and run it as a single coil.

And also drawing parallells with speakers: two eight ohm speakers in parallell give four ohms so if the same principle holds true for pickups your theory would indicate that each of the coils had to be 16,6 ohms in order for the parallell reading to be 8,3...

But I have been wrong before and will be again.... maybe this time too?:rolleyes:

11. MrRhoads

MrRhoads TDPRI Member

Well when i took my Burstbucker Pro´s apart the coils were indeed wired in paralell.

12. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

...so wrong this time too then ;)...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.