Burning smell from speaker cab???

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OttoCorrect, Nov 14, 2018.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

So here's a new one for me... I had a moment alone in the house while my wife was away and decided to really turn up my amp. I run a Quilter Mini 101R (the one with the traditional tone stack, not the TriQ) into an open back 1x12 Eminence Cannabis Rex. The amp is 50w, the speaker is rated for 50w at 8ohm, I have it all hooked up correctly (8ohm out on the amp, etc).

Cranked the volume to about 1 o'clock on the master (just past the 10w part of the knob) and had the gain at noon (clean but full). Kicked on a couple of my drive pedals, etc. These Quilter Mini's are stinkin' loud, and at slightly above "10w" it's already WAY too loud, even for a band practice or a small show, but no one was home and it was fun. All of the sudden, I detect a faint burning smell. I ignore it for a little while and continue playing another 5 minutes or so. Then it occurs to me that I've never heard this head wide open, so I crank it all the way to the 50 watt setting just to see what that's like, try it clean, with the onboard gain, with some drive and fuzz pedals, etc. SUPER CRAZY LOUD. I'm feeling every note in my body kind of loud. I detect a slightly more present but still not particularly severe burning smell. I cut the volume and sniff around the amp and detect that it is slightly sweet in nature, and it is definitely coming from the speaker cab.

I stop what I'm doing, google it, don't come up with anything significant (just a lot of conflicting opinions from forum goers on audio pages, etc.). After about 5 minutes I feel around on the inside of the speaker through the open back and nothing is hot or even warm, nothing feels damaged etc. After a little bit I plug in again at a more reasonable but still too loud for most people volume and everything sounds as it did before I ever cranked the amp. My ears are ringing a little bit from cranking it all the way up but any difference I'm hearing is clearly my now abused ears, not the speaker or amp.

In short, my amp and gear still sound essentially the same for me as they ever did.

So... what happened? What caused the burning smell?

2. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Not sure but replacing it with a Twin Reverb would eliminate the problem without eliminating the ringing in your ears...

3. Dave Harmon

Dave Harmon TDPRI Member

Probably overheated the coil in the speaker.

4. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

This ^^^^

That speaker doesn't have long to live....

BobbyZ likes this.
  5. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Probably just the hemp.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

If I remember correctly your speaker should be rated at least 50% higher wattage than your amp. So you might want at least 75 watts or better on your next speaker

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I got a pair of Weber SigBs hot enough to smell in with a BF Twin Reverb a time or two. Those are rated at 50 watts a piece and a BFTR is only 85 watts. (is kinda funny a SFTR is rated at 100 watts)
    Must've been the shear volume of it all. :)

The Sigs still work fine, so maybe a person can get away with it for a little while, but I wouldn't bet on it.

thegeezer likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

if you have chaffing of the speakercoil and you bump it on high volume the coil may be rubbing in the frame to a point of over heating enough to slightly melt the laquer on the voice colis but not enough yet to short the coil wires , so they still work , you can easily blow the speaker coil apart by that, I had a fmim made 12 inch and I installed it into my Iso box and it started to distort at low volume to a point of unusable , eo I replaced it with a 100 watt 12 inch Jensen and I now get crystal clear out from my Twin BFRI and My Mashall JCM800 at loud volumes.

if there is any thing in the slot were the coil enters the magnet in the basket of the speaker , dirt , piece of magnet etc it will rub against the coil and prevent it from working properly causing it to over heat and bugger the coil

9. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

The rex is “50W RMS handling, 100W peak” so is my amp really overpowering the speaker? Shouldn’t 100w peak handle a cranked 50w?

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nope. The "peak" level just refers to quick transient spikes, like when you smack that power chord for a second or whatnot. RMS is the sustained amount of power it can handle over time. With the symptoms you described it's likely cooked a bit, and could fail anytime. If it sounds good, use it around the house, but I would have trust issues with it for important performances.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Id get a speaker that's 2x the rated RMS of the amp.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  12. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I see. I’m surprised it started smelling when I had the level at the one o’clock setting. Supposedly that was just above 10w. I can’t believe my Quilter roasts a 50w speaker at less than half power. It’s very loud at that setting but still, a 50w speaker should hold up to more than that.

13. Crustycabs

Crustycabs TDPRI Member

prolly melted that gummy bear your kid dropped in the back of the cab last year. ;)

BobbyZ and kookaburra like this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

How new is the speaker? Like a furnace being turned on for the first time in the winter this could simply be a case of residual burn off and nothing to worry about, or it could be that you actually damaged the speaker.

IMO: I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the problem continues. Aside from turning down, there isn't a lot you can do.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Distorted signals affect a speaker in a way that prevents the voice coil from being cooled properly because such signals maintain the speaker at full excursion without ‘rest periods’ that allow cooling. A 5 watt amp can take out a speaker that is rated much higher IF this type of situation exists....so it might be no surprise that a 50 watt amp with some dirt pedals going at it full time could compromise a 50 watt speaker.

16. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Speaker is just shy of three months old. I got it brand new. This is the first time I had it cranked that loud. I’ve played plenty loud before but never with the volume over half way on this amp (usually the master around 11 o’clock is enough to hurt ones ears with this amp). And the whole experience was less than 20min playtime. If something was burning up that fast I can only assume I would feel something warm if I reached inside the back of the cab and that wasn’t the case. Nothing was warm.

17. luckett

luckett Banned

It probably hasn't gotten this hot before and just burned off some chemicals from the manufacturing process this time That happens all the time with new electronics. If it still works fine, rock on and don't worry about it.

privatesalt and codamedia like this.
  18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I’m not tremendously worried, more curious. I’ve been playing as a hobbiest with the very rare occasional performance for around 16 years. I’ve dimed amps before on more than one occasion. This was the first time I can say that doing so produced a smell. So like I said, I was curious. I’m continuing to just use the cab and amp head as usual. If the speaker does break down a Swamp Thang will be replacing the Cannibas Rex.

19. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Just to ask the ‘other’ obvious question: you are using a speaker cable and not a guitar cable for hooking up the cabinet? You don’t have to answer as I’m sure you are, but just on the off chance the wrong cable was grabbed.

20. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Yep,,, This Guy is a true Guitar God!! I'd hate to have to supply this Beast with picks, he must go thru them like crazy! I can't even get my speakers to warm up with my playing?? Salute!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.