1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Burned out...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 11, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

(I guess its my user name it should have titled it burnt out :twisted:)

There's been a real lull in my guitar interest recently. I did a lot of learning new tunes and recording covers of them in the first 6 months of the pandemic. Now I think I'm burned out.

Burned out on learning, recording or even just picking up the guitar. I entertained the thought of buying an ES-335 and a new amp but then I lost interest. Now, indifference and laziness has set it. I look at my guitars and think "meh". I tried to regain some spark by watching an old DVD lesson and I almost enjoyed it. Then I resumed my disinterest.

I know it will pass. It always does. When I get "reborn" I have a bunch of lessons to keep me busy for a while.

Wallaby, frank a, P Thought and 3 others like this.
  2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I think I can relate to some of your feelings. I tell my self there will be plenty of time after the seasons change and I'm stuck inside. For now, the weather is awesome and I don't want to waste opportunities that brings.

I'm content with the gear I have. No gas and that is OK.

JL_LI and Cali Dude like this.
  3. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I sort of burned out on electric guitar a while ago and am just starting to get into it again. Too much hassle - pedals, amp settings, etc. It's been so much easier to just grab an acoustic and start strummin!

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do you play any keyboards???

If not, you might try starting ...

You already know music theory, so you are at least halfway there...

Or another instrument that interests you ...

richiek65 likes this.
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Try a different instrument. When I felt like that, I bought a five-string banjo. Played it a lot for a year or so, then went back to guitar. Now I am thinking I might pick it up again.

Please refrain from the banjo jokes. I've heard them all. It's a cool instrument, very different from guitar, but some skills transfer. I played clawhammer, not bluegrass. Jerry Garcia started out on banjo and you can hear some influence in his tone and guitar style.

loopfinding, P Thought and richiek65 like this.
  6. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I recently quit my band after losing the thrill/desire (other reasons too) .. I now spend maybe 10 mins a day noodling and I'm very happy (and i did just buy a 335!). Now I'm waiting for some kind of direction to return and see if I can grow as a player, but I'm in no rush. In the meantime, I'll keep reading about everything guitar on here and keep my eyes out for an acquisition or two

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I took a year or so off a while back. It happens. Keep moving ahead!

Telecastoff1 and irie like this.
  8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I can relate. I get that way from time to time. I just force myself to pick up an acoustic guitar, and practice scales, and play songs that my partner enjoys. Then, we both can enjoy it, and she enjoys singing along.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

get a 12-string. You will be mesmerized.

bsman likes this.
  10. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

My motivation has always come from gigging, always had the passion to prepare for a gig and to perform that gig. And much of my “growth” has come from rehearsals (band context) between those gigs as well as the gigs themselves. As of March 14, my last gig, the pandemic put an end to much of that passion and motivation.

Yes, I still practice by myself, still work on my weaknesses, still find some joy in playing, but have to force myself to do so.

Yes, I do believe the virus will end its control over us, but I don’t think that will be any time soon, and I don’t think live music will be the same when it does.

tubelectron and Cali Dude like this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I played some acoustic earlier this week.
    The motivation has definitely diminished.

I’ve been super busy at work, so that accounts for some of the lack of playing time.

In my mind, I want to play more, but bringing it to fruition is another story.

Cali Dude and JL_LI like this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Burned out? I get it. There are days I don’t feel like doing anything. I’m playing, but not as much. I don’t like to cast blame, but I think Covid fatigue has a lot to do with it. I really need my life to get back to normal. I haven’t been inside a guitar store since November. I’ve canceled two vacations. My wife is scared to fly to see the grandkids. I need normalcy back. I’m confident I’ll be able to adjust to the “new” normal, but I need a recognizable starting point.

Rocky058 and Cali Dude like this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

+1 for another instrument. used to play upright bass in school, currently mess around a lot with analog synthesizers, and while i still play guitar every day out of habit, there are periods of a few months where i'm more obsessed over one or the other. keeps things fresh and one always seems to bring new perspectives on the other when i return, so it's not for naught.

14. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Pick up a $10 pennywhistle and just fool around with it, it's a fun and refreshing change. Always sparks my interests, YMMV.

15. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Been there, done that.
    At first, I was concerned. But I realized after awhile that's it's relatively normal and figured it would probably come back. And it did, with a vengeance. I hit walls sometimes in everything I like and do but they pass eventually and I get my old eagerness back.
    I imagine it will happen that way for you too.

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

things sure change thru years of playing. I'm 69 and have an acoustic, mandolin and tele sitting right beside me. I've plunked around on each this morning and everyday.

Playing out began getting a whole lot less fun as I aged, I didn't care for the club scene that had quickly become unrecognizable when I hit about 50. I'm still obsessed with music so I just practice and practice to keep from going insane...

elihu and Cali Dude like this.
  17. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Man, I hear you. Except for me it's sort of been ever since the pandemic. But I look at my guitars and amps the same way....and I move on to something else. I don't have the interest in me right now. It makes me bummed because you realize that to some extent, your drive to play is not something you just switch on and off when feel like it, but that it comes from a deeper place, that you really can't control. At least me, and probably many others.

I too hope it passes. I suspect the pandemic has a lot to do with it for me, but I'm not sure.

Hang in there and here's to a speedy guitar recovery!

18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I have other hobbies I do intermittently when I hit a wall guitar wise.

But i also have you children and work alot, so walls aren't as normal as in my early 20s. I've got steel guitars to delve into as a backup. Lack of variables led me to boredom and complacency a few times.
    It comes and goes.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Oddly, the pandemic hasn't really effected my playing. In fact, as I stated, I used the time to learn new songs and record covers of them. Plus, I'm not much of a socializer so my hermit like qualities are a like a super power. I am lucky that my daughter and granddaughters live nearby and I see them often.

Oh sure it will. It always does. It's not the first time it's happened. I think I will lower my expectations given my meager talents and skills. That means playing for the fun of it and doing things that are in my wheel house. I still want to try and get better, particularly at improvising solos etc but that may never come. My fingers don't seem to be as nimble as they once were.

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I quit playing for about 15 years because of musical dissatisfaction. I don't recommend taking that much time off, but I did it when I realized I only listened to "guitar" music and for technical reasons. Yuck.

One way I maintain interest is to focus on rhythm, and rhythms. Not sure if this is helpful, but I find it easy to maintain interest when rhythms are involved.

I try to make all playing about getting "something" rather than "somewhere". I'm less interested in getting a part down and more interested in developing my understanding of ... you name it. Intervals, construction, theory, triads, octaves, key changes, leading notes. Every time I play I want something new to understand and relate to what I already know. I want to know how everything works musically.

Good luck, don't give up, it will be even less satisfying ultimately. Focus on something you know works but don't understand *why* it works.

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.