Bumping old threads

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jddub440, Jun 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Hey fellow tdpri members I was just inquiring here, since this is where I mostly fall into on this forum, if someone can explain to me why it is inappropriate to bump threads that have not been commented on in years and also what the cutoff time might be to stop posting on a thread.
    I have been a member here for years and see this issue of "dead thread" come up quite often on this side of the forum as well as most other sections of the tdpri forum.
    I don't recall ever being an "offender" of this "rule" but I am very, very curious as to why it is important to us as a forum.

cyclopean and northernguitar like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Probably to bring new threads and novelty and new opinions in the forums. The mods would rather you create a new thread rather than posting in an old one.

As for the time before considering a thread dead, i don't know, 2 years is not so fresh.

Blue Bill and stormsedge like this.
  3. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

One exception that comes to mind is club threads. They live on for many years in some cases.

radiocaster and stormsedge like this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have no idea why this puts some members panties in a twist. It’s ridiculous what sets some people off on guitar forums. Even weirder when people get castigated for starting new threads when they ‘should use the search feature’ because the question has been previously discussed.

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

my take is it used to be more of an issue than it is now. Zombie threads would be closed instantly, but now things are more relaxed. I have bumped 10 year old threads that I started without having them closed. And it makes sense that resurrecting an old thread with a similar question might not be helpful since many of the original posters may no longer be active.

Nahtabot likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Sometimes, an old thread bump is timely...other times, it might be better to pull a quote from an old thread to start a new one. The goodness in starting a new thread is that as the OP, YOU get to place your question/comment front and center rather than risking it to the noise in a long thread---leaving your particular question/comment unnoticed. ((imo, some longer threads do not get fully read by posters..."guilty")). My dollar2ninety8o_O.

Nahtabot, drf64 and TelEBaby123 like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It is a good question and I suspect even the moderators have a difficult time deciding. There is some great information in old threads, but starting up a new thread might be more appropriate at times. Not a simple decision or rule could easily be defined for either case.

I’ll bump new threads for people looking for specific information just so that it can reach a bigger audience.

8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I am SO going to bump this thread in 2030…

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Google's algorithm tends to prefer new pages so that may the incentive to produce new threads rather than resuming old ones.

Another moderation factor is that sometimes the OP is no longer around or the subject is outdated.

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm fine with bumping. Some are really good to reflect on.

11. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Yep, and many to ignore. Don’t click, you all have the power to not irritate yourselves.

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

So are we trying to contend that the majority of new threads are any different than the majority of old threads?:rolleyes:

MrGibbly likes this.
  13. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

In my opinion it’s rude and inconsiderate to start a thread without a cursory search beforehand.

But then again, I think a lot of people use this forum as an outlet for their obnoxious behavior.

wyclif likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

E X A C T L Y

papa32203 likes this.
  15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Ed Driscoll and Hiker like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There are many many places on the internet that are more obnoxious than here though.
    You see it occasionally here; in many other spots it's the norm.

cyclopean likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Regardless of if/when threads age out, there are certain pieces of information within these threads that warrant longevity. One that comes to mind is Ron Kirn's fret leveling tutorial.
    My best suggestion is when you find stuff like that is to save it onto your device. That way you always have it, and you will grow an awesome personal reference library over time. Be careful not to repost without the proper permissions, though.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm sometimes surprised when I realize that I have been posting in a Z-thread. It would be helpful to be reminded that it is a Z-thread that I'm reading. Some kind of sign or notice could indicate a Z-thread. I suspect that the owners of the forum don't want to complicate their lives.

I wonder how other forums handle this situation.

Blue Bill and Hiker like this.
  19. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

So, bad behavior should be tolerated because worse behavior exists?

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think it's too bad when discussing a piece of gear, but if someone is looking to buy a piece of gear and would prefer total strangers with different musical tastes to recommend of piece of gear 7 years before, then I understand, although sometimes there is some serious gear talk in those threads too. Or maybe all gear talk is general nonsense for the most part, in general.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.