Bummed with my new Classic Series 60's Tele?

wiggingout

TDPRI Member
was leaning heavily towards returning it but wanted to fiddle first....then, I realized something I hadn't noticed. The truss rod position. For me, that's a deal-breaker.

like i said, this is my new guitar in about 10 years, and first EVER bought without playing. It's not a big deal - i'll return it in store at GC. But I doubt I'll ever buy without playing again.

radiomanjh

Tele-Afflicted
I think you should hold on to it for a day or two and if you are undecided on it just return it. A new guitar should be a "yeah baby this is nice" kind of a feeling that you, we all deserve when getting a new guitar. Guitar center is great for returns.

xFallenx

Friend of Leo's
You don't like the heel adjustment? I love it down there. Also you shoulda looked at the specs. Seems like you just want to find a reason to return it which is fine because like another member said you should be happy with your purchase. No I don't mean that in an attacking way! I just think you found a lot wrong with it wanted to try it then found another thing that was a deal breaker. Just an observation :D

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Seems like you just want to find a reason to return it which is fine because like another member said you should be happy with your purchase.

We make some of these models sound so cool but the truth is, some guys want other features and they just get swept away in the glow of all the wonderful things we have to say.

I mean, all he needs is 1-2 things he doesn't like to justify returning it - instead he's got ten reasons. I cannot imagine wanting to keep something I discovered 10 things about that I didn't want.

xFallenx

Friend of Leo's
We make some of these models sound so cool but the truth is, some guys want other features and they just get swept away in the glow of all the wonderful things we have to say.

I mean, all he needs is 1-2 things he doesn't like to justify returning it - instead he's got ten reasons. I cannot imagine wanting to keep something I discovered 10 things about that I didn't want.

Yep that's why I said it was fine to the OP :D I get what you mean though we all like basically make love to the Baja with praise ,but some people just can't get along with the neck. I just meant though he didn't need to justify it to us if the OP found something that wasn't as easy as just a pickup swap then I agree to sending it back ;) Though the heel adjustment for the truss rod was an easy thing to see in the specs sometimes things like that just get overlooked :D

FredDairy

Friend of Leo's
3 times I've bought the MIM 60s Classic due to the high praise it receives here. 3 times I was very let down. As much as I try not to let it shape my purchases internet hype is a VERY strong thing.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with not buying any new guitar without playing first-sounds like you bought the wrong guitar so just sell it back-Its kind of nice to hear some negatives about this model because I keep hearing its praises and I begin to think "maybe I need one of those."

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
If the guitar didn't wow you from the get go, I really don't think a little tweak here and there will change anything.

Playing a guitar for the first time is kinda like a first date, either the two of you are a fit or you are not. It rarely gets better over time and in the end it just shows how much time you wasted trying to make it work.

Monotremata

Tele-Afflicted
3 times I've bought the MIM 60s Classic due to the high praise it receives here. 3 times I was very let down. As much as I try not to let it shape my purchases internet hype is a VERY strong thing.

And this Im shocked at.. Now, I know you have a rather NICE collection of AVRI's, and myself I have never played one so Ive only got Standards to compare my Classic too but I thought my Classic was simply the best right out of the box.. None of the issues you described with yours, no sharp frets, etc.. I know theres duds here and there, but did you get 3 duds, or are the AV series just THAT much more awesome than the 'regular' Fenders that these don't stand up to em??

FredDairy

Friend of Leo's
And this Im shocked at.. Now, I know you have a rather NICE collection of AVRI's, and myself I have never played one so Ive only got Standards to compare my Classic too but I thought my Classic was simply the best right out of the box.. None of the issues you described with yours, no sharp frets, etc.. I know theres duds here and there, but did you get 3 duds, or are the AV series just THAT much more awesome than the 'regular' Fenders that these don't stand up to em??

That's just the 60s MIM Classics too. I didn't include my 50s MIM Esquire, Tele, and 60s Strat. Each needed a fret dress to play better or a the level of the AV RI. Each certainly needed a pickup upgrade to compete sonically. I'll be generous and say 50 percent of them had decently cut nuts.

Please don't take offense to this but if you haven't played an AV you may just not know what you are missing. I honestly didn't think my first MIM 60s needed a fretdress until I befriended a luthier who constantly told me it could use one. After much going back and forth he offered to do it for nothing. The guitar played 100 times better.

Monotremata

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah sadly Ive never had the chance to play an AV.. I REALLY want one of the 64s but Id have to sell a kidney or something to get it with the way things are nowadays haha.. Come to think of it, I don't even think Ive ever seen one on the wall at the GC in Oxnard where I used to live or the new one down here in Palm Desert.. Plenty of Standards both MIA and MIM and an FSR butterscotch but none of the 'special' ones just the bread and butter.. Not even a single Classic either but then again apparently that's pretty common in the stores..

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
While I haven't played anywhere near as many AVRI's or MIM Classics as Fred - only three of each - I agree that the AVRI's are more perfect out of the box. A little more care is obviously put into the final finish of each guitar. My '52 RI is the best quality Fender guitar I've played with the possible exception of two expensive Wildwood CS guitars (Tele and Strat) belonging to a friend. But I didn't care for the tall frets on those ...

Yes, my 60's Classic needed a little nut and fret work to be PERFECT, and my 50's Classic sounded a bit shrill on the bridge pickup - besides it was on the heavy side at 8.6 lbs - but sitting down with my eyes closed, it was very difficult to tell it apart from the '52 RI. The fret work was impeccable and the neck profile/size was similar except that the 50's had a hint of a soft V at the first frets. Overall it was the weight and the bridge pickup that made me sell it in favor of the '52 RI.

I've kept the 60's Classic though. First of all: a rosewood fretboard whiteguard is THE most iconic Telecaster for me. And in its current condition, it's real close to the '52 RI in overall quality. It's just minor nuances when you compare them. And no matter what Ron says; It's in no real need of a fret levelling/crowning!;) No buzz anywhere and no fretting out.

The two sound a bit different though, but why would I want a 60's Tele to sound like a 50's Tele?

I trust Fred when he says that the '64 RI is the better guitar (But no way TWICE as good!), and maybe I will get a chance to find out some day. If so, I guess it will be my only electric guitar. With one gig a year - at the most - I no longer need more than one. But then it's got to be THE ONE!:cool:

simonsp

Friend of Leo's
... my 50's Classic sounded a bit shrill on the bridge pickup - besides it was on the heavy side at 8.6 lbs - but sitting down with my eyes closed, it was very difficult to tell it apart from the '52 RI. The fret work was impeccable and the neck profile/size was similar except that the 50's had a hint of a soft V at the first frets. Overall it was the weight and the bridge pickup that made me sell it in favor of the '52 RI. ...

That's heavy. My 50's Classic weighs in at 7.6 lbs I'm glad to say. I'm having a "Phew, glad I missed *that* one" moment right now. I was undecided about whether to get the Classic 50's, a 52 avri or a 52 Hot Rod when I was buying. I came down on the 50's on cost grounds in the end, I couldn't justify spending twice as much on a guitar that I pretty much just play at home. I've had no regrets, I think it's a wonderful guitar.

buddhuu

Tele-Meister

^ This +1.

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Right!

As I said in my first post (#7):

"Then we're all different. Maybe the 60's Classic simply isn't the guitar for you"

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That's heavy. My 50's Classic weighs in at 7.6 lbs I'm glad to say. I'm having a "Phew, glad I missed *that* one" moment right now.

But then my Les Paul Deluxe weighed around 11 lbs! But I didn't mind that ... It sort of was supposed to weigh a ton, and I was young and strong.;)

I wouldn't want my Teles to weigh over 8 lbs though. I'm an old man with a bad back and neck.:oops:

FredDairy

Friend of Leo's
While I haven't played anywhere near as many AVRI's or MIM Classics as Fred - only three of each - I agree that the AVRI's are more perfect out of the box. A little more care is obviously put into the final finish of each guitar. My '52 RI is the best quality Fender guitar I've played with the possible exception of two expensive Wildwood CS guitars (Tele and Strat) belonging to a friend. But I didn't care for the tall frets on those ...

Yes, my 60's Classic needed a little nut and fret work to be PERFECT, and my 50's Classic sounded a bit shrill on the bridge pickup - besides it was on the heavy side at 8.6 lbs - but sitting down with my eyes closed, it was very difficult to tell it apart from the '52 RI. The fret work was impeccable and the neck profile/size was similar except that the 50's had a hint of a soft V at the first frets. Overall it was the weight and the bridge pickup that made me sell it in favor of the '52 RI.

I've kept the 60's Classic though. First of all: a rosewood fretboard whiteguard is THE most iconic Telecaster for me. And in its current condition, it's real close to the '52 RI in overall quality. It's just minor nuances when you compare them. And no matter what Ron says; It's in no real need of a fret levelling/crowning!;) No buzz anywhere and no fretting out.

The two sound a bit different though, but why would I want a 60's Tele to sound like a 50's Tele?

I trust Fred when he says that the '64 RI is the better guitar (But no way TWICE as good!), and maybe I will get a chance to find out some day. If so, I guess it will be my only electric guitar. With one gig a year - at the most - I no longer need more than one. But then it's got to be THE ONE!:cool:

I think the fretdress on the MIM Classics(and any other guitar) has to be decided on a player by player basis. With my light Burton strings and low action I'm yet to find a MIM Classic that doesn't play as "buttery" as my AV RIs. If I up the action slap on a set of 10s or 11s and just play Cropper licks I think I wouldn't notice it as much.

I would take money on a bet that if we drew lines over all the frets with a sharpie on a MIM Classic and a AV RI then ran a fret levelling beam over each of them there'd be more high and low spots on the MIM. And there better darn well be with the price difference.

Telemarkman I'm being nice when I say the AV '64 RI is twice the guitar of the three MIM 60s Classics I've owned. Now maybe you've got a VERY VERY good MIM 60s. But once you play one I wouldn't be surprised if you thought so too.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

I hear you.

This is the reason why I am so glad we almost never have titles here with the words "No Haters Please" in them. I try my best to remember to mention the problems I see in any model (ones I buy, ones I wish I had, ones I'd be rid of in no time) to give some sense that no model is totally issue free and some things that roll off one player will drive another to not buy or keep that same model. I don't like the concept that if someone sees a problem and points it out, that he'd be ostracized. I think he always belongs in the mix and especially the guys who've bought and played 'em - not just read about them.