1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bullitt car chase

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Jan 12, 2021 at 9:43 PM.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I watched the making of Ronin, Robert De Niro says if you watch it again you can tell he was petrified and tried not to show it.

From memory, for realism, the car the actors were in WAS the drive car but was stacked on top of the base chassis with a real stunt driver underneath driving and him pretending to drive at the same time on camera.

I watched it again and laughed as it was so obvious when you knew but an awesome movie. Sadly it is one of those (few) movies that I just don't enjoy re-watching. Maybe because I loved it so much the first time.

SRHmusic and electrichead like this.
  2. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

It's also one of those rare movies where Sean Bean's character doesn't die, even when he should.

electrichead likes this.
  3. TCI

TCI TDPRI Member

Like many, I’ve watched Bullitt on TV countless times, it’s great.
    2 years ago numerous theaters across the country had a one-night only showing of it for the 50th anniversary.
    Seeing that chase on the big screen was an entirely new experience for me, very intense and even more amazing.

electrichead likes this.
  4. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Another movie most have not seen was the original Gone in 60 seconds..
    About half the movie is a car chase ...

Obviously low budget but when you are like 17 or so it was great..

In the bullet movie I never quite understood why they ran from him in the first place.
    Obviously he did not have a radio on him so why didn't they just pull over and shoot it out with him..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    Paul G., Flakey and Thinliner like this.
  5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

If I have the right movie here ...that French connection chase scene was McDonald avenue in Brooklyn. I was a NYC taxi driver at the time. Those moves were absolutely true to life. Every day I saw stuff like that, incredibly dangerous, barely controlled driving on streets just like that. The wildness of city chases came through so well in that scene. Very well scripted and filmed.

electrichead likes this.
  6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

TCI and willie ray like this.
  7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Yep Bill Hickman

Acted and drove in:

• Bullitt
    • The Fench Connection
    • The 7-Ups

Quite a body of work

8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

It's like the tortoise in the Tortoise and the Hare

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

It's a toss up Bullit or Blues Brothers chase BTW don't take your 64 Valiant push button trans to SF and play Bullit

BB 104 cars destroyed
    60 police cars were purchased for the making of this film - and none survived.

10. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

142D58DC-3611-42B0-ACB0-4A77A5327D93.jpeg

Big fan. This is on my shelf above the puter, some Lego Porsches in front of it. Has all the ‘main’ cars including the omnipresent Beetle.

SRHmusic, Mad Kiwi and electrichead like this.
  11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

And of course , The Blues Brothers had a few cars in it , cops and sirens . Oh yeah , a Pinto also .

12. buster poser

Oh, and I posted this in another thread a while back, but I got to see THE car a few years ago on the Mall. April 2018:

2018.04.22.001.jpg
    2018.04.22.002.jpg
    2018.04.22.003.jpg

SRHmusic and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I forgot a 68 charger was in the chase.
    I had one. Only 318..but great 8 track.

Paul G. likes this.
  14. buster poser

Further littering of this thread... they had it lit up like this at night (not my photo):

upload_2021-1-13_7-47-16.png

SRHmusic, electrichead and Mad Kiwi like this.
  15. Stillhouse

Stillhouse TDPRI Member

I always said that if I could have one car from that scene it'd be that VW. Fast enough to beat a Charger and Mustang around the block three or four times!

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My maternal grandfather drove Rambler Americans, mostly.

My paternal grandfather never learned to drive until age 60, and God Bless his memory (and he was my role model in many ways) but he was easily the worst driver in the family.

What was that question, again?

17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

How about the chase in “Mr. Majestyk,” in which Ford actually used the truck footage in a F-series truck commercial?

KirbyBarba likes this.
  18. buster poser

Glad someone posted about Ronin. The E34 M5 is still my all time favorite of that model, and it's mostly down to that movie.

Also down slightly to this (the driver here died in the passenger seat of this car some time after this was shot). Shot in Tbilisi, Georgia and obviously illegal/dangerous as hell, but lord the driving:

KirbyBarba, electrichead and SRHmusic like this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

My Dad had one of these '50 Tudors, with the flathead V8 and an Iskendarian cam and custom exhaust. In dark green.

When I tried as a kid to cut my left arm off at the shoulder, my Dad tossed me in this car and was rushing me to the hospital. The motorcycle cop tried to intercept him, they exchanged a few crucial words and the cop decided to Follow my Dad, not to lead him, to the hospital. This car was seriously fast.

Yeah, it had that serious wheel hop problem, as there was even less weight in the back of this 1950 Ford as there is in the back of the "lightweight" Mustang.

20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I was also going to mention "Ronin". That movie shows how real footage is way more exciting than CGI special effects. Just the sound of tires actually skittering as they try to maintain traction in tight turns is enough to get my heart racing. Way better than fake sounds pulled from sound files and cut/pasted onto manufactured computer graphics.

Another honorable mention is the car chase in The Bourne Supremacy, or whatever the first in the series was called, when Jason Bourne drives the cr*p out of an old Mini-Cooper, including down narrow stairways. I thought the coolest aspect was how super-agent Bourne is able to quickly scan a map of the area, lock it into his memory, and then proceed to confuse the multiple chasers and elude them until he is able to hide out in an underground parking garage. Very fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.