Bulb limiter bulbs

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by maninsuitcase, Jun 17, 2019.

1. maninsuitcase

maninsuitcase TDPRI Member

I'm intending to start off my first amp build by building a bulb limiter, safety first and all that.

Standard incandescent bulbs are pretty scarce round here now, amazon/eBay seems the only real option.

I can however get some Halogen based ones, still not cheap but I can get them in the shop over the road. They come in a range of wattages from 30-100ish (these are the rated W not the "equivalent").

Is there any issue with Halogen bulbs in a limiter? From a pure limiting point I cant see any issue but I remember them being rather temperamental and I wonder if they might not last very long?

If I do source some standard bulbs, is the bulb life in a limiter okay or do I need to get a reasonable number of spares?

2. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The light bulb current limiter is designed around an incandescent bulb.

Here's a suggestion to use 12V automotive bulbs.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Digital networking for model train control. I preside over a bunch of AV over ethernet systems, and never would have considered this is even a thing, considering my train diorama as a kid was controlled by a rheostat.

4. maninsuitcase

Would a 12V bulb not blow the instant it saw mains voltage? Well unless you series up about 20 of them.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Quartz halogen lamps can be very temperamental if they're not used at close to their rated voltage and current. Under driving them shortens their life considerably. Their characteristics can be a bit on the odd side too, plus they get hella hot and dazzly ( technical terms ).

Have a look in the cupboard under the stairs to see if you kept your old incandescents when you upgraded to LED.

I kept some 25, 40, 60 + 100W because I figured they'd come in useful someday. My wife thinks I'm a packrat, and she's not wrong ( She never is! )

Try an automotive tool supplier. Toughened incandescents are/were used in inspection lamps and they may still have stock.

6. maninsuitcase

I may have one of those actually.

I know I don't have any as when we moved the house was all CFL and I binned all of them for LED. I'll have a rummage at my dads though, he may well have a few.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

How about oven bulbs ?

8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

have you checked an internet search for incandescent bulbs in your area? I live in Holland, and they are becoming difficult to find at normal consumer shops. But right at the end of my street is a specialty lamp shop, and they still have everything available. Of course the prices are a bit higher, because yesterday's regular 100W bulb is now a 'specialty item'. Bur you only need one or two.

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i found mine at walmart.

play music!

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

11. 20strings

20strings TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Yeah, in the States you can find them at Home Depot, etc. still. Not so much in Europe. You might be able to find some of the 'decorative' incandescent bulbs that look like old school bulbs though.

12. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Check for "rough service" or "shock resistant" bulbs at the automotive or hardware store. They can still be found here in the US for use in work lights and droplights.

6stringcowboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.