Built me an Esquier

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Munchie99, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

I got a Bullet tele for $139 on MF. Ordered a Fralin Blues Deluxe, CRL switch and CTS pots, Fender knobs and switch tip, and a Musiclily pickguard.

Wired it all up today with the Eldred mod, sorta, only I didn’t have a proper .0047 capacitor. So I put a treble bleed cap and resistor on the volume pot instead because I happened to have one in the drawer. The right one (NOS Soviet military with optional Putin-direct listening device) is on the way, so I’ll fix that when it gets here. I suspect that’ll make a difference. As it is, I hear a subtle difference between positions 1 and 3.

I also bought a proper three-saddle bridge, but I’m too lazy at the moment to go filling and drilling holes. So later for that too.

I put half-round 10s on. And I only made one stupid soldering mistake.

This makes me cool.

Attached Files:

Strummer59, bls82261, puddin and 8 others like this.
  2. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

It’s a beauty!

Munchie99 likes this.
  3. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yup, you are cool. I have two one-pup guitars and love them both.

Munchie99 likes this.
  4. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

4827E77B-D0E8-4F32-A0E5-849E52576BB8.jpeg OK, I got tired of trying to hear a difference between position 1 and position 3. It was almost nothing. So I came back downstairs, took off the treble bleed, and put a cheap little 223 ceramic cap in its place. Instant difference!

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Nice work :)

6. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Getting a top loading Callaham or Vintique would probably be huge on that guitar. If you have theregualr Fender bridge, Gattonize it. File the side on top and bottom. You want to pick up high on the low E. And my pick and pinky need the mettle gone on the high e side too. Lots of tone right there by the bridge, especially on an Esquire.

Munchie99 likes this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Very nice.

I have three electrics, but only four pickups, so the math will tell you how I feel about such things. :D

Munchie99 likes this.
  8. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

I’m gonna have to research how to place the new bridge. But I want the Fender three-saddle look eventually.

What do you do to get it right? Make sure it’s centered and the saddles are 25.5” from the nut?

9. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

What is an "Esquier?" I own two Esquires, but I'm not familiar with this guitar you are referring to...;)

10. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

I think you did a great job on your build. Don't worry about the typo, I guess some people have never ever made any:rolleyes:. Again, nice build

11. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

I am perverting my decades-old English degree in the service of advanced wordplay. The fact that you noticed means you must be another intellectual sophisticate. High five, my literate brother!

Dan German likes this.
  12. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

It still needs more work. The right capacitor, for one. A better (three-saddle) bridge, for another. A bone nut, when I get to it. A sticker or two, maybe.

And the neck cavity is empty; it needs a little picture of Luther, a Link Wray action figure, or something, for mojo. I'm open to suggestions.

It's a humbucker-sized cavity. The good folks in Indonesia think ahead.

Dan German likes this.
  13. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

ESQUIER UPDATE

To recap: Bullet Squier tele, proper butterscotch blonde. No neck pickup, Fralin Blues Deluxe in the bridge, Esquier dark circuit wiring.

I just put Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flatwounds on it, 10 - 44. Holy crap! Clear, articulate, smooth under the fingers. I cranked the Princeton Deluxe to 11 and brought the guitar volume up to 6 or 7, and like I said, holy crap! I lack the vocabulary to describe it properly, but I think holy crap is a good start.

14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I'm assuming you're using the stock pup eh? What year was yours made?

15. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

No; I took out the stock pickups and put just the Lindy Fralin pickup in the bridge. I believe the guitar was made by those fine folks in Indonesia in 2020. It was on sale on Musician’s Friend for $139. So with the pickup, the fancy-pants strings, the new pickguard, and new pots and switch, I’ve spent more on the mods than on the guitar. Yeah buddy!

FortyEight likes this.
  16. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

Great work! Sounds like a fab project. I had my Affinity Tele Esquire'd as well!

FortyEight likes this.
  17. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

Yeah, big fun. Just twisting the two volume knobs (amp and guitar) in different directions makes for a variety of sounds.

FortyEight likes this.
  18. FortyEight

Darn, I was hoping to see if you did all that with the stock pup and see what you think of it. I can't ever decide if I should put new pups in or just leave it. Seems like it would likely sound better with a better pup, but then again, maybe not. I have a Chinese affinity 2014. I don't think the pups are all that bad but..... it's hard to know cuz I don't have a higher quality tele or pup in any guitar to play back to back to see if I can hear much of a difference.

19. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister

I understand completely. I have another one just like it (it cost a whopping $179) that I’ve left the stock pickups in and only put in a new switch and pots. It was going to be the Esquier, but I like the stock pickups in it, especially the neck, and I couldn’t bring myself to change it. So I bought the second one.

FortyEight likes this.
  20. FortyEight

I should feel good. I usually don't get good deals but I got mine for 150. It was used though. But it's in very good shape. I thought that was at least a fair price for an Affinity. Not too much, not a super great deal. It plays really nice.

Now that I think about it, it was almost exactly a year ago I bought it. LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.