Built for Show or Go?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Milspec, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I only have 1 partscaster and its my #1 not too long ago I got an Epi Riviera (reissue) that stole the spot light but this one wiggled its way back into 1st place. The image is my signature but they're not visable on mobile browsers.

36079529452_efe48a8a36_z.jpg

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Is that an MIJ Epi neck?
    I have one- not the same- I bought years ago but never chose a use for.
    Have you seen those NOS Gretch Corvette bodies that were being dumped on the market for a while?
    They sold pretty cheap and I'm sure there are more sitting unused.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

This latest Bass I made is a bit of both, I guess...

the first slab of real cabinet timber I've used for a body.... fancy, huh?... like, no cracks, no nail holes or knots... ;)

SO bass knobs2.jpg

Sneaks, telemnemonics and Milspec like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My only partscaster was not supposed to be a partscaster, but it became one, and not because I wanted it to. I purchased an "MIM Fender Stratocaster" on eBay, and when it arrived at the post office, even before I opened the box, the weight didn't feel right. So I opened the box in the parking lot and the guitar looked normal for the most part, but was very light and when I strummed it, it sounded very thin. I took it home and just happened to see my daughter's Starcaster (the cheap guitaris you used to be able to get at Toys R Us) sitting there, and noticed that the bridge and saddles looked like her guitar. I took the pick guards off both guitars and the guts including the bodies were identical. Somebody bolted a MIM neck to a starcaster body! After notifying the seller, and getting a partial refund, I ordered a Stratocaster body, and three DiMarzio pickups (HS-1, HS-2, and HS-3), all used. I purchased a Fender bridge and a larger bridge block, basically I bought everything except the neck and assembled a new guitar from all those parts. It was a great guitar, super clean for recording. I should not have sold it.

5. brashboy

brashboy TDPRI Member

Maybe you're kinda like my Dad.... when he was a kid he would build something, like a wagon, say. While he was putting it together, though, he would think of even better ways to build one. So when he finished it, he gave the wagon to other kids to play with, and they were suitably impressed with the fine little wagon he'd made (he made things really good; anything that sucked, he took apart). But once done, he'd lost interest. He was on to the next one. He didn't have that much interest in actually playing with a wagon, I don't think. Hopefully, you play your guitar more than he played with the wagon!

Milspec likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I did see them but it was years ago, not sure where to look for them now. The Epi body is in my shed, I'll have a look at it to see where it might be from.

7. brashboy

brashboy TDPRI Member

Anyway, in answer to your show-or-go question, I think we all like to have guitars that are really cool or gorgeous. I've sold many guitars on ebay and reverb -- probably over 200 since the late 90s -- and the cool factor or gorgeousity (word?) makes a huge difference in 1) the price you get and 2) how fast it sells. I've owned some jaw-droppers, though none were worth a lot of money.

The interesting thing, though, is that my most gorgeous guitars were rarely the best players or had the best sound. Oh man, I sure wish I had my beautiful Fender Heartfield Elan II back.

All that said, I would always favor a beautiful piece of wood over a plain one in a new build. I mean, why not? For me, at least, there is immense pleasure in looking at beautiful wood. And -- you have no idea how it's going to sound until it's part of a playable guitar. There may be people who can reliably tap a piece of wood and determine its musicality (hmmm...), but I'm not one of them.

Turning it around, what would be the logic in purposely choosing ugly or plain wood? The only things I can think of are a) cost savings or b) ya just don't want a fancy, ostentatious piece of wood cuz that's not how ya roll.

What say you all?

Milspec likes this.
  8. Tippy

Tippy TDPRI Member

Great thread!

I have five Telecasters, and in my mind they all do something different, four of which I would consider parts-casters.

My #1 guitar is a blonde '83 Squier Telecaster that has been heavily modified over the years. The only parts that are still original are the neck and tuners, the body and the bridge plate. Currently it has Peter Florance pickups, a long neck and a TE-50, IIRC correctly. The neck and body have become super worn and dinged up in places.

I have put the other four together out of various parts that caught my eye. The first one is a Daphne Blue Warmoth body, white pickguard, a reverse Fender telecaster neck, with a Bigsby and TV Jones Telecaster pickups. This guitar visually is stunning but with the reverse neck the string tensions feel a bit off so it really doesn't get played that much.

The second is a Guitar Fetish Surf Green body (with binding) and a MIJ Fender neck. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. I use this guitar for slide mainly.

The third is some Paisley body I found on Reverb combined with a used (and worn) Fender neck that feels great. The pick-ups are Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pick-ups. Sadly, this guitar hardly ever gets played because it is basically a copy of the '83 Squier so it is usually in an open tuning.

Last is what I call my Eddie-Caster. The body is some kind of heavily relic'd Fender copy that I bought used somewhere. The neck is also some relic'd rosewood MIJ Fender. The pick-ups, and why the guitar gets it's name, are EVH Wolfgang pick-ups. The hardware is all fairly cheap stuff that is all relic'd as well. Basically I put together this guitar around those pick-ups. I really love this guitar, though its a bit light, and I use it mainly in a band I play in that veers more towards hard rock.

Sorry if these descriptions come off as a bit weird. I am not really a gear guy, nor do I really try to recreate certain sounds, but I am "heavily influenced" by people who are, so quite often I am buying stuff based on their recommendations. I also have to admit sometimes I buy stuff just because of the way it looks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.