1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Builds four and five …and maybe some of three (Damn, I forgot to build a Tele…)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ModerneGuy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Ha! I feel less bad about struggling to understand it. Anyhow, I finished wiring it up - complete with a wire grounded to the back of the pickup and ...It works!!! I managed to wire the switch in reverse but I don't think I've got the wiggle room to turn it around so one more round with the soldering iron.

Too late last night to play it at any volume... but it all works. Cheers!

2. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

A few weeks ago I made some waterslide decals (laser) for the Dano. Seeing as my name is Dario it seemed appropriate that I should mess with the logo a little. This was rather easy in Illustrator as there was already an "R" I could play with - just re-sized it slightly. Unfortunately, as I was placing this on black background the logo (off white/pale yellow) was a bit "stealthy".

I've been thinking about some kind of stencil (in lieu of screen printing) and then thought I'd try and make something with label paper. Then yesterday afternoon at work I found some glossy labels (four per sheet) and ...what the hell, cut it out on the outer line and stuck it on there. I printed the logo with a black background this time. Slightly misaligned but I'll stick another on there when I get round to burying it i lacquer - hopefully it doesn't react badly.

...& a photo of two and three together

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That looks sweet, If'n yall don't wannit, I duz.. I can hear Page wailing out Celebration Day already.

When I was a kid, I thought Danlectro's were exotic, because Jimmy Played one, and Randy Rhoads's Polkadot V neck was made from one.

4. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Ok it's been a while. Been a busy few months and haven't had time to update ...or maybe it's not been my priority. The remolition continues - another six to eight weeks I think. Cannot wait to move back!

Anyway, I still intend posting a video of the other build once I can sort out my youtube account issues. But in the meanwhile...I somehow started building another guitar (six!)...a kind of bigger cheaper brother to the filtertron equipped one. Both have New Guinea Rosewood bodies with Victorian Ash/Tasmanian Oak tops - great to have a bandsaw to re-saw tops! The one with the knock-off Toasters and the Wilkinson wraparound (which will be mine) has a thicker body- both have been heavily chambered and are ridiculously light, and will be getting a slotted headstock (because I want to make one).

Making the binding was kind fiddly - and there's still plenty of scope for it to go completely awry. Looks very rough in the photo but with patience and some sanding/scraping it may turn into something...

[​IMG][​IMG]

While re-sawing I thought I should have a look at what this scrap of old decking timber might be like as a fretboard - works for me. It could be brush box, or blackbutt ... or something else with a double-entendre name, but I know it is hard, polishes up nicely and I have enough to make a bunch of them. This was just with some lemon oil and 800 grit:p That's unfinished/dry rosewood underneath. At the right of the second photo is the same timber - before oiling etc ...stealthy. Will probably use it for "six".

[​IMG][​IMG]

Finally - these guitars need necks. The one with the thicker headstock is going to get the slotted head.

[​IMG][​IMG]

ok, last couple of shots for now. To reiterate, other than the shape (ok the toasters on one) there's nothing "ric" about their construction - they'll have angled necks with body construction more like a tele thinline and neck joints more like a long tenon Gibson SG. The finer details on these is kinda vague as I'm sort of making it up as I go along, but if there are any questions I'll be happy to answer. Hopefully I update more regularly again soon.

Cheers.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Video ...

Ok, excuses out of the way quickly. Done really quickly over the weekend - playing is a bit dodgy to begin with (and then you add a camera ...) and the amp is sounding well below it's best. The tunes at the beginning and end are played in the middle position (Best Imitation of Myself by Ben Folds and an original riff with a bit of zep vibe), the soloing bit is on the bridge pickup ...

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

Sounds great!

7. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Love it! It must make all the hard work and nightmares worthwhile...

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

And how! Great twang on that bridge pup ;)

9. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Thanks Chris, Sean and Dave. I am happy with how it sounds - completely different to all my other guitars! The bridge pickup does have plenty of twang (which is great) but it all has plenty of shimmer with the volume turned down a bit - it cleans up really nicely and never loses too much of its top end. I really like the middle position with just enough of the neck pickup filling out the sound of the bridge. I should pull out another amp and do some clean sounds ...sounds like a plan.

Ok, hope to get some more work done over the next few days ....

Cheers, Dario

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Fun! Sounds great!

11. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Very cool, Dario! Sounds great, man.
    I dig the logo.
    Those ric-influenced ones look fantastic.
    Cheers,
    Chris

12. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Thanks Chris & Jupiter. I played it for the first time today through my modded Blues Junior (it's very clean by my standards) and it has really nice range of clean tones too.

On a sour note, while outline routing one of the necks today my router made a "bang" sound, started to shudder and gave off that telling cooked electronics smell ... it is going to slow things down a bit. I suspect too much crap got into the motor while it was under the table. There might be some delicate negotiations with my wife (currently overseas) when she rings later this evening ...:oops:

13. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Asking for forgiveness, or asking for permission... it's a choice we all make.

14. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Ah yes. My wife's great and really encouraging with this hobby/obsession I have, but we're a bit financially stretched at the moment (our fault) and I have no excuses for not having sold a bunch of guitars (and some furniture) before now...which she'll remind me about:rolleyes:

thanks for your comments back in August too - I think she'll be a keeper, though I may end up doing more finish experiments on it one day.

15. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Guitars looks awesome, GREAT WORK! Did the toasters come from GFS? What about the Filtertrons?

When you do replace your router, you may want to think about a Triton. They are designed to go in a table and the dust get pulled away from the motor rather than into it. I have had awesome results with them.

16. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Hi axedaddy, thanks for the compliment - I'm a big fan your work so it means a lot. Regarding the pickups the toaster knock-offs were from eyguitars who are based in china. They're surface mount mini-humbuckers and not true toasters. They look the part but no idea what they sound like, but I figure I can swap them out or possibly try my hand at winding something more true to the real deal when I get 'round to learning how to wind some day:p They were inexpensive (they're currently only $23US a pair!!!) so I figured why not? I notice that they've just added an "interesting" looking bridge to their parts list - let's just say it would suit these pickups if I was building the guitar closer to the original;).

Filtertrons are regular modern Gretsch ones (alnico magnets) I got from an ebay seller ...or was it Darren Reilly. The pickups on the Dano were GFS and I'm happy with them.

Routers - thanks for the recommendation. I did see your thread about your recent positive experiences. A Triton has been my preferred option for a while - I really want something that will be easy to use under a table as well as light enough for hand use. I see you went with one of the more powerful models - is that more of an "insurance" thing or do you think I could get away with the 1.5HP model? It will be almost exclusively for guitar work where I'm generally getting close to the line with a saw and hogging out with forstner bits etc. Happy to get people's thoughts. Cheers

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  17. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Wow, thank you....never had someone say they were a fan of my work before.

Those Chinese pickups look super cool and cheap, I wonder if they are making GFS pups. I noticed the surface mount mini humbuckers at GFS and thought they might be neat to try, I look forward to a review and video. Those are good prices for the Gretsch pickups too.

As for the Triton router, I bought it exclusively for the table, so there was no need to go smaller. If I was buying it for both uses there no way I would buy the big one, it is huge and heavy. The 1.5 I think is perfect for your application, light enough for hand work, good plunge/fixed combo base and still blows the dust away from the motor. If I had to have a router to pull double duty, it would be the 1.5. Plus aren't they an Aussie company?

18. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Thanks for advice axedaddy - and yes Triton are an Australian company so it would be good to support them ...if I get the go ahead. I really enjoyed your challenge build a few years ago and I remember one with a spalted top that was really cool - you look like you know what you're doing!

The 1.5 sounds like it'll be the way to go then. It's frustrating that it's virtually impossible to find a new non-plunge router in Australia - they don't import the Porter Cable 690 and the Bosch is prohibitively expensive. I found my current plunge to be nearly impossible to adjust accurately under the table but the Triton system seems like it covers all bases.

Cheers, Dario

19. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Lazarus

Ok, I'm going to reawaken this. After 18 months of inactivity on this thread...though not quite that long on the actual build, here are some updates. Really hoping to get more regular about this...I just lost so much momentum that it has been hard to build it back up. Really feels like I'm doing everything for the first time again - and I wasn't very experienced at it when I left off!

some photo updates ...

made some half moon style markers (ages ago)and put together my first bound fretboard - I'd do it differently next time ... probably cut the slots put the binding on, trim some nibs off the frets and then put them in. I didn't think/research this through properly.:eek:

[​IMG]

Obligatory clampasaurus photo - this is from earlier today. I think I added a few more after I took the photo. Tomorrow I'll find out how it turned out. The board had developed a bit of bow having been lying around fretted for ...a while. Have been wrestling it back to relative straightness over the past few weeks.

[​IMG]

The downside of not having planned things too far in advance, trying a few layout options ...I guess the second would be good for volume swirls but would involved more complicated or bigger rear routing. If I went with that I think I'd go for a master volume and tone, and individual volumes. Must buy a switch for this too - that's a battery substituting that's about the same size.

[​IMG][​IMG]

What else? The binding isn't perfect but it'll do. Next time I'm biting the bullet and buying the official expensive stuff.

And if anyone is wondering about the Dano style build, I've been too busy playing it to worry about refinishing it or building another body - though I'm going to add a Dano convertible style Tele to my build list. I'm hoping that posting regularly again - which I intend doing, will push productivity up about 100 notches.

Cheers.

20. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Hey Dario!
    That looks fantastic!
    I think the first layout would be best -- the volume is still close enough for swells, but it's not in the way for more strummy stuff.
    I really dig the Darelectro one too -- so cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.