Building the Harmony H-191

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dan Miller, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

Some of you may recall my false starts in recreating this little amp, documented in these threads:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/reverse-engineering-the-harmony-h-191.658946/
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/twin-ht-191s-harmony-tribute-build.664424/

Armed with proper info (thanks to a hit-and-run post by Rjelam84), refreshed from missing most of the north country winter, and holed up due to a mid-April ice storm, I decided to take another stab at it. This time, I opted to mimic the original and wire it PtoP, and with success this time!

Here is the corrected schematic:

Harmony H-191 DIY Schematic.png
    and the corrected layout:
    Harmony H-191 DIY Layout.png

Front view of cab with speaker baffle installed (I also work leather, so I made my own handle):

P4151150.jpg

Rear view of cab:

P4151152.jpg

Gut shot:

P4151154.jpg

Didn't have all the right carbon comp resistors on hand so a few other types snuck their way in.

Chassis in cab - I have to order solder lugs to connect the OT leads to the speaker. P4151155.jpg

And finally with rear panel installed:
    P4151156.jpg

I tried to make some sound clips, but apparently I don't know which buttons to push on my recorder yet. I'll try again tomorrow. (Don't get excited, I am a horrible player).

I'll eventually hit the faceplate with some Rustoleum hammer finish paint.

What to cover it with? The original is covered with pretty light stuff (see first thread at top of this post). I have some jute (burlap) I brought back from Costa Rica in the form of a coffee bean sack that I might use for the grill cloth.

I hope you enjoy this little foray into the world of cheap and simple 1950s amplifiers.

Dan

Nickfl and dan40 like this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

That is really nice. Maybe some brown faux leather tolex? Or whatever color you chose, it looks like you could disassemble the cabinet, put tolex on each panel and then just screw it back together with brass screws and finishing washers.

That looks inspiring.

Edit: Looking at the original now, looks like they did a similar thing. Were the side panels covered by anything or were they just left as wood?

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

The side panels are covered with a thin cream-colored something that wraps around and onto the front/top panel. The latter is then covered with the contrasting red material. Pretty clearly the cab was covered after assembly (which would hide the assembly screws).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.