Building my VERY FIRST guitar.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hrscharft, Aug 10, 2014.

1. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Hello everyone,

Im new here on the forum, My name is Harm i'm 31 years old and live in a small place called Delfzijl in the netherlands.

A while ago i built my very own CNC machine and already had a lot of fun with it.
    For example some friends of mine got married some time ago and the groom being a bass player gave me the idear to give them a nice engraved Bass body for a present. It probably isnt useable but it sure is nice just to look at.

Well so far my short introduction and on with the real project. Because the above project turned out so well i decided to try and build a real one this time.

The materials will be the same as for the show project. Mahogany body with a Black wallnut top. I intend to buy a neck so that probably will be maple with what i can get my hands on for cheap frettboard.

Some pictures :
    The first is the drawing of what i intend to build. the other ones are of the present i gave my friends.

Attached Files:

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

The body you built for your friends wedding is wonderful. I'm sure he loved it… his wife, maybe not so much??

Is the plan to build your guitar using CNC?

It looks really cool.

3. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

The plan indeed is to use the CNC machine for the most part of it.

And his wife did love it too :) it bnow has a nice place on a stand in their living.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

So glad to hear his wife loved it too!

I for one will be following along. Good luck!

5. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

A quick question

What is the minimum thickness for a Tele body,

The drawing sais 44mm but with the wood ive got i get to about 40,5 mm
    Wil this be a big issue? if so then i will add another 6mm of wallnut.

I dont really want this because this is just an extra layer and doesnt really add to the beauty of the total.

6. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Pfeww

so far the easy part.

Routed the controll and Humbucker cavities and most of the cutout of the body is routed.

Next things to do:

Glue on the Top wich seals of all of the cavities.
    Route the pup cavities and the controlplate open again

-Make a negative mold wich helps to flip over the body so i can route the back.
    -Complete routing out the body.
    -3d routing of the armrest and belly cut.
    -route out the reces for the tone-bar or whatever its called ;)
    -MAKE the tonebar out of a piece of 10mm aluminium.

And so on and so on.

Here are a couple of picks from the work so far.

Attached Files:

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome to the forum!

Very nice work, both your friends' gift, and the new body work.

the 40.5 mm thickness dimension should be OK, just be sure to allow for it with your belly and forearm relief cuts, and when routing out the cavities for pickups, neck, and controls. The 40.5 mm (approx. 1.5 inches) would probably be considered the reasonable minimum thinness, although many guitars have been built thinner. Too much thinner, and you may not have enough room to "bury" controls, switches, etc.

Many of us here are CNC owners and users, or hopeful enthusiasts, and we'd love to see some pictures and descriptions of your CNC.

8. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Well,

about my CNC machine....

Its a DIY one wich i built in about 2 months while being out of a job so had loads of time on my hands.

It's still not completely finished but functional
    Things to add for example are the limit and home switches and hook up my VFD to the breakout board.

The range is about Y-1200x X-600 Z-200mm

Max speed is about 2000mm/min on one axis. if moving diagonal it can reach up to 2800mm/min.

A not so interesting piece of film of the very first 3d milling test in some glued together pieces of firewood. (mind the volume)

Some pics.

Attached Files:

9. rbarr110

rbarr110 TDPRI Member

Welcome. a CNC makes guitar building easy. Nice CNC. It looks like your machine needs a little bit of tramming done, a lot of tool marks on your surfacing cut. Anyway, still looking good!

10. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

The result after an evening long of hard CNCing, Sanding, glueing, Eating Drawing, Sanding.... Sanding some more Even more sanding... eerrrr some CNCing again and after that some more sanding ;)

Have fun with the pics.

Attached Files:

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that looks super nice.

12. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

great work on both the CNC and the body!

13. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the compliments.
    I know the mahogany isnt the best piece of choice for a guitar but it was the best straight piece i had laying aroung (hope it stays that way whehe)

It wont be much longer untill all the questions come along ;)

For example. I'm opting for a pickguardless design so is it wise to drop all the components down in the body for about 3mm? and with that i mean all of it.

neck, bridge, pups.... ?

14. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

small update,

did some more routing and sanding again this evening.
    I also test fitted the pup's and they are really snug fit. Had to even tap the brackets in a little.

Owyeah... The odd formed cover over the controll cavity is a piece of veneer i cut to see how it looks. It has to be some form like this to cover up a F-up from my cnc machine..... i really shouted some strong words when that happened.

Attached Files:

15. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Well spent some time on the body again today and this is the result so far.

Cut the new reces for the modified 'knobplate' and actually cut the 'knobplate' out of a piece of 5mm aluminium that i had laying around.

Further i put two layers of 50% thinned down yacht varnish on it. So the wood gets saturated and protected from pollution when i work on it.

The result?... THE WOOD IS ALIVEEEEEEE !!! muhahahahaaaaah

Attached Files:

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mahogany is just fine for a guitar body. (Or don't tell Gibson what a big mistake they've been making on all those LPs)

Since you're using some nonstandard parts, rather than simply dropping them a set amount, I'd measure them for proper string clearance, fit of controls inside of cavities, and other functional considerations. Looks great with some finish on it!

Thanks for photos of your CNC. Beautiful machine, especially for a home built.

17. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

with not the best choice i didnt mean the mahogany itself but i ment how the piece is cut.

the odd coverplate form is to cover up the little mistake where the cnc had a mind of its own. it stalled in one direction while cutting the pocket and i was just a little too late hitting the stop button.

The neck i wont be making myself. Two necks are in the mail by now i bought them off some guy for about $30. One is an ION strat like neck and the other one is a Squier tele neck, the only problem with the tele neck is that the truss rod is stuck.

18. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Tis looks great, maybe make the control,cavity mistake look intentional. Put the output jack into,the area where is sweeps up!

19. Pickguard

Pickguard NEW MEMBER!

Wow! This is an inspiring thread. THe CNC is damn cool (on my DIY bucketlist, lol). I am re-tooling my shop after moving into a new home and have a coupe of nice, wide, 8/4 boards of Sipo and Khaya Mahogany that I hope to start on later this year.

I will be following along for sure!

(just realized I have been a member for nearly THREE years and this is my VERY FIRST post! ... does that make me an official lurker? :confused:)

20. hrscharft

hrscharft TDPRI Member

Oramac, thats actually a great idear. i will think about that one :D
    It also saves me the energy of drilling a hole in the side of the guitar and some money for a jack plate.

While waiting on my parts to arrive, Bridge, necks and other stuff like knobs and pots. I got in my shed today and made the tonebar piece as well as polishing the other alu parts i had allready made. This way they go a bit better wit the shiny steel bridge.

some pics of all the SHINY parts ;)

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.