Building my own Oscillating Sander

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PapaLion, Sep 28, 2011.

1. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

It's fascinating watching your progress. As others have pointed out, you could probably buy one for less, but then we'll never know how to make one ourselves, will we?

I hope your health is on the up, Bret. Look after yourself, and happy new year to you.

2. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

The one possible gotcha I see in this is the bearings. One of the problems with re-purposing drill presses for anything but drilling is that their headstocks generally don't have the correct bearings for sideways loads.

3. bajaasdad

bajaasdad Tele-Meister

wow..

no cost savings and a lot of time... I have no doubt it will be more durable than a chinese made jet...

but I spent something like $65 bucks or so on a HF one plus a purchased warranty.

When you consider you could get anywhere between 100-200 guitars worth of use out of that... well let's just say even I question the math on this.

And by day I am a Sr. Finance Analyst lol.. amongst other things.

Still though, I am all eyes for your MacGyver like skills.

But I've come to the conclusion that if I am not eating off it, I do not care if it is Chinese.

Considering the cost, they build stuff better than we do at home. Very RARELY do we build anything SO MUCH BETTER that it would be cheaper to buy US made products and amortize cost over time.

Great thread though... if only for the gov sales link.

Bajaasdad

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Good to see ya' Papa :), in my prayers as always

5. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

Very valid thought on bearing quality Riato, I appreciate the constructive idea. The bearing will be protected from dust and debris using a small plastic dust cover. Other oscillators do the same. If they give out then I would pull the head apart and replace them with a better bearing I suppose. We'll see how that goes in actual use.

kwerk if I were 30 I think I'd take my best South African Boer Goats and emigrate to NZ. Every time I see pics I just love the place. Hope UR doing aok. One of my young bucks, TroubleMaker ... 220# at ten months old.

For me> No comment on Chinese tools... on this forum:)

Baja... no bean counting allowed here:) Strictly overspending on a fun hobby. I did some least cost analysis when younger too... this one would have had the plug pulled pretty early on.

Hey Crazy how U is Pogo? Prayer could be the best meds for me, thanks. I feel ratty about 3/4 of the time these days, I'm busy every day regardless. Docs got no news but bad news so I figure my big problem is I keep going to the hospital. if I would stay out of there then I'd do better? Very logical right:)

I have another huge project going so this one is the little project and it gets no respect.

thanks to all who enjoy the process, we'll muddle on.

Attached Files:

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This project peeked my curiosity on how a spindle sander works. I laid my ROSS on its back and took the bottom off. Flipped the switch on to see if I could see anything happening ..............BIG MISTAKE. It started to smoke and tripped the breaker on the power strip it was plugged into. I romoved th motor/oscillator unit from the case and tried running it by itself. Smoked and tripped the breaker.

Here it is in its current state.

......[​IMG]

7. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

Worm gear most likely. Principle is the same as a level wind fishing reel.

8. Jack Wells

No worm gear in this one.

9. Martyn

Martyn TDPRI Member

Sounds to me like you've opened a whole can of worms! :rolleyes:

10. LC100

LC100 Tele-Meister

Really? I would have thought a ball worm drive for sure. Can you see what it is now that you have it in pieces?

11. Jack Wells

The oscillation comes from the black cup underneath the motor armature in the picture above. It's full of black grease. Since I have it apart I'll try to clean it out a little and get some pictures. Sure wish I had left well enough alone.

12. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about your sander, Jack. Does the motor use a centrifugal switch or potential/current relay to start?

13. Jack Wells

Don't know yet. I don't want to completely hijack PapaLion's thread so I'll start another entitled *Inside The Ross* later. Since I wanted to know how it worked I might as well continue and find out.

14. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

I'm hoping for a relay. Most of those relays don't enjoy being inverted. Experience talking there. Good luck.

15. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

Dad gum... not good news. Something jammed, which caused the motor to lock and then it drew too much current, which caused the smoke. Hopefully, that smoke is just the start capacitor. Try to get the motor spinning freely and not hooked up to a load and then carefully apply power. Then we'll go from there. It'll live again:)

Meanwhile to hijack my own thread... teeheeheheh... I thought you'd like to see the bigger project.
    This is a Dodge 1 ton I bought and am converting it to a ranch truck.. I added a B&W Gooseneck attached to the frame directly, and a class 4 receiver hitch... read> it'll pull just about anything.

I started with a service truck because they have heavy duty everything, springs, brakes, tranny etc. Remove the service bed, sell it and find a nice flatbed. I wanted the flatbed lower so I remade the flatbed framing underneath, boxed it and set it down so the bed is barely 40" off the deck instead of about 46" which is more common.

Lots to do still but I put the bed on the truck Thursday, Receiver hitch I adapted and bolted in yesterday and today.... read> SLOW project. I do till I'm tired, usually 3-4 hours... it is exercise which seems to do me good.

I'm going to post a few more pics>

Attached Files:

16. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

The pipebender will bend heavy schedule 4o pipe up to 3" in diameter. These are 2" and will hold the spare vertical on the passengers side and the other side will have a tool box probably.

Attached Files:

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the motor body pics take me back..

I started my trade building motor bodies of all sizes... even buses, fire engines.. as well as basic tray backs and service bodies... bending bull bars & tow bars... blacksmithing... all those metal/wood/fibreglass/fabric/paint skills that last a lifetime.

it 's funny .. everything in the shots and in the background I've built, except for the truck cab/chassis... I've cut and stretched plenty though...

the industry stuffed my back in the end.. too heavy.... Teles are about as heavy as I go in the workshop these days...

18. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Is that a greyhound bus? You should take it round the world!

I'll put the coffee on. ;)

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

oh, yeh... my goat "dopey" wants to say hello to your goat...

I guess they all bleat the same lingo?.. meh he he meh he he .;)

Attached Files:

20. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

Nothing's really changed as far as the chuck is concerned. It's still turning
    in the "tightening" direction. You are just looking at it from the opposite
    direction, upside down.

Could be a problem with the direction of wrap of the sandpaper on the drum.
    I'm not sure how they're made, but maybe the direction needs to be a certain
    way to keep it from unwrapping?

Nice job though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.