1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Building" my first tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by FretFire, Mar 2, 2009.

1. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

Ok, so it's more of an assembly than a true build, but it's still going to be my first tele! I put together a strat from parts a few years ago and it's been my #1 since, so when I got a hankering for a telecaster I thought "why not put one of those together too?"

Here's what I've got so far:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Fender Am. Std. body in "blizzard pearl"
    • Glendale "Blackguard" doublecut bridge for Am. Std.
    • Glendale brass saddles
    • Standard control layout with 4-way switch for added "both in series" sound. CTS 250K pots, .047 orange drop cap, etc.
    • The white pickguard is likely temporary, I've got a 3-ply B/W/B guard on order from Warmoth that I'm fully expecting to like better.

As you can see I went with an LP-style jack plate instead of the typical cup. I've never been a big fan of the aesthetics of the cup, and really got turned off when I went to install it! I like the look of the plate personally, although I know some won't.

The only parts I don't have yet are the neck, tuners, and pickups. I plan on getting a maple/maple neck from USA Custom Guitars, very similar in specs to my strat's neck. 1 11/16" nut width, 9.5" radius, their "The '54" profile which is a .850" soft V at the first fret that tapers to a .900" C around the 12th fret. It looks like I'll be going with the Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuners, and DiMarzio Area T pickups. I'm hoping to complete the build sometime this summer.

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

looks like a nice 'un in the making! i agree on the b/w/b pickguard ... even fake tortoise shell might look good on that body if you care for that look.

just curious: what made you decide on Area T's?

3. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

I tend to gravitate towards modern sounds, for lack of a better word, for example I love the DiMarzio Cruiser as a strat pickup. Still very stratty and does the SRV thing very well, but is a bit more modern sounding when played with more gain. I've heard some cool clips of the Areas and thought I'd give them a try. The added benefit of being noiseless is nice.

Other potential options I've considered are a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge pickup with a Vintage Stack in the neck. I haven't bought any pickups yet, so I'm definitely open to suggestions to research before I do.

4. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

The black pickguard came in today and I got it in place. I must say, I like it more than I expected to!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe TDPRI Member

Your neck specs are exactly like what I got on my USACG
    strat neck, which is quartersawn though. Love the carve, fit and finish is awesome. It has green abalone inlays which
    compliment the surf green body.
    I'm going to get the same thing for my upcoming tele build, but with flame maple back/maple fretboard, black dots. The flame back to add a little zing/wow factor.
    You won't be dissapointed with the Area T's. I have a set
    in my Grosh hollow vintage T. They are even better than
    I hoped for.
    What size hole accepts the side input jack? 1/2"?
    With your neck, did you get a curved or flat bottom
    nut slot? What kind of nut are you getting?

Looking forward to more pics too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

The jack was just the standard size hole, I didn't modify the cavity at all. I just had to drill the 4 holes to mount the plate. I'm going to go with a standard flat-bottom nut slot. I already have a pre-slotted Tusq nut for it.

I already have a neck with the same radius and back contour from USACG on my strat, but it's a great birdseye/birdseye piece with an LSR nut. I love the feel of the neck, but just want some different aesthetics for the tele. I should have pickups installed next week, so I'll test it out with the strat neck to make sure I want a maple board and not rosewood before I actually order the neck.

7. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

I just about have everything on the way now, I got the neck ordered today and the pickups are already on the way. Tommy @ USA Customs told me they are turning orders out in a week or two right now, and since the neck I ordered won't require a finish I should have it pretty quickly!

8. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

Pickups should be in today or tomorrow. I know I'll want to play the thing as soon as they're in, so I moved my strat's neck over to this body in preparation:

[​IMG]

9. FretFire

FretFire TDPRI Member

Another update: Got the pickups in and installed. First impressions are very good, these may just wind up being the pickups I stay with. I'm still testing with the neck from my strat, I'd imagine the neck I ordered for this is still a couple of weeks out. The tuners should be in this week.

[​IMG][​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.