1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Building my first (Princeton Reverb kit)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by padefjord, Mar 4, 2021.

1. padefjord

padefjord TDPRI Member

To make a long story short, the Princeton model in my HX Stomp was so good I decided to sell the pedal and build a real one... This will be my first amp build, I have done a couple of pedals and some other small electronic projects before. Going with a kit, but I'm not sure what speaker I'll choose. I'll post updates (and pictures of course!) here. :)

OldPup likes this.
  2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like the Eminence GB128 a lot, if you're going to do a 1x12.

3. Phrygian77

The GA-SC64 is a good one also, but it's darker.

4. Phrygian77

IMAG0125.jpg

padefjord and PingGuo like this.
  5. padefjord

padefjord TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably go with a 10" though.

Paul-T likes this.
  6. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I would seriously consider a 12 inch, you will not regret it.

Les Gear and Telenator like this.
  7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Great amp. Good choice. Fun, somewhat challenging build.

I see you're in Europe. Which kit? Have you seen the great PR page by our amazing friend @robrob ?

You'll find there are two schools of PR thought, make it bigger (speaker, etc) or make it vintage. Both are perfectly valid.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. padefjord

padefjord TDPRI Member

I thought about starting with something simpler, like a tweed champ. Then I decided it was more reasonable to build the amp I really want, even if it's more complicated. If I take it slow and check everything twice I'm sure it'll be fine.

There is a place here in Sweden actually, Nordström Audio. I think they do their own kits. Not completely sure, but at least I've only heard good things about them!

@robrob's page is amazing! Learning a lot there. I might do a couple of the suggested mods, but I'm probably more in the "make it vintage" camp. Although I have been considering a celestion gold, which might be far from "vintage correct".

nicknklv and OldPup like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

12' Emi GA SC64 is THE speaker.
    If you go 10" get a Weber 10F150 or 10F150T 50 watt! Killer.

Forget the mods in the Princeton, I've tried most of them. it's a great amp as designed.

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Noooooooooooooooooooo! ( reaches for the 10" speaker in slow motion )

You'll be giving up 1/2 the amp's potential! A Princeton sounds kinda OK with a 10" speaker, but a 12" speaker sends it into a whole new category!

You will regret using a 10" speaker for the rest of your days.

padefjord likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Oh gee wiz! The twelve inches are heavy here!
    My '64 PR had a 10, because that's what Leo put in them in 1964. Had a '71 CTS alnico in it when I got it. (probably out of some fools Super Reverb) Sounded fantastic.
    My brother uses a 12" in his PR, has since he built it, he absolutely loved playing my amp. (actually he was the last person to play it before the fire)

Now I could see a 12" if you absolutely gotta squeeze every possible decibel out of a Princeton Reverb. But this is 2021 we don't play loud anymore and most players never leave the house.
    If you do gig at a large venues they have these things called public address systems, microphones and monitors.
    You can actually amplify your amplifier now !

Why people wanna screw up a perfectly good little amp, I'll never know.

12. King Fan

Whew. Thanks Bobby. I needed that. :)

In general, guys on a forum trying to pick your speaker is like strangers trying to pick your wife. And, in both cases, somebody always wants 'em to be bigger.

13. padefjord

padefjord TDPRI Member

Good points. I can see "the thing" with a 12 as well, but I'm still leaning towards a 10. More true to the original and certainly "enough". Even if things go back to as they were before the pandemic, it's not going to be a gigging amp. Maybe a jamming amp.

I got the kit yesterday - or at least part of it, I didn't order everything at once but now I've got all the small parts and the chassis. Transformers, tubes, cabinet and speakers will come later.

Seems like their own version of a kit - it has grid stop and screen resistors, plus a trimpot for the bias. Things I had thought about putting in there, so that was a nice surprise!

2L man likes this.
  14. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Not a typical first build. Lots to troubleshoot there so go slow and be deliberate good luck with it

15. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

10 inch speakers are great. I much prefer my Princeton with a 10 inch alnico to my vintage Park 20W combo, which has a much revered 70s Celestion 12 in roughly the same size box. I don't think there's particularly less bass, even, it's just a tighter sound.

We all have our own obsessions but a 10 inch speaker worked for Steve Cropper so the OP is not making a life-changing mistake!

Edit: I am getting a weird forum glitch last couple of days, posts don't show up until later so I see King Fan has already had the final word. Yes, you are the person who knows what speaker you like.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    King Fan and BobbyZ like this.
  16. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

I've rebuilt an all original '64 PR, thinking it could reduce the amount of background noise. You know what? It didn't. lol The worst mistake you could do to a nice vintage amp.

Anyway, as for the speaker choice, indeed go with a 10". You could always connect an external speaker with a 12" or a 4-12" cab. The PR cabinet is not big enough for a 12". Yes, it still fits, as I did it on mine :cry:, but it's too tight. It just doesn't sound good if the cabinet is so small. That cabinet is for a 10".

BobbyZ and Paul-T like this.
  17. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I agree with @takauya, if anyone needs to hear their Princeton through a 12, connect a 12 in a cabinet, or in your Deluxe Reverb, etc.

OP, ignore all the people who come around to say that a Princeton is too complicated for a first build. You'll be fine. I've built only one amp. That was over a year ago and not a day goes by that I don't wish I could start another. For now, I have to wrench on my old amps and live vicariously through people like you who post builds online. So post plenty of pictures, please, once you get going.

Paul-T and BobbyZ like this.
  18. King Fan

I agree with @OldPup. My PR was a second build, but the first where I had to figure things out, and tho challenging, the challenge was a ton of fun — in many ways it’s still my favorite build.

In the meantime, I’m gonna humbly suggest that, much as I enjoy 'em, a 10 v. 12 discussion is not what our friend starting a PR build needs most right now. :):):)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Paul-T likes this.
  19. Phrygian77

A PR was my third build, not really anymore complicated than a Bassman, which was my second.

I looked at as many pictures of pre-CBS examples as I could find, and copied the lead dress as close as possible. If you do that, you'll be fine. The only thing that absolutely needs changing from the original is the mains wiring.

King Fan likes this.
  20. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

When wounding/connecting wire ends marking each to a schematic copy is good practise and while adding second ot third checking previous wire count makes it very good method. Then when soldering use different color. Layouts are not needed after components are wound to turretts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.