Building a winder... winding a pickup...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Mat UK, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Creeping closer... but more bumps in the road - two to be precise.

I soldered up the majority of the switches, motor etc. I managed to get everything hooked up. And powered up. So far so good.

Turning the motor on *tick*
    Adjusting the motor speed *tick*
    Reversing the motor *tick*

9BC9FC61-0E4A-4EC1-A48A-BA076252AB89.jpeg

Counter picking up hall pulse *tick...ish*

Unfortunately, the counter only counts the pulse up to about 500rpm any higher than that and it stops counting.

I checked that the hall sensor/magnet was working and set up correctly by hooking it up to a battery powered counter I have and also to the unneeded tachometer. Both count well into the 1000rpm region...

811E0D86-92BF-42F0-B1B6-0A6C2985E08D.jpeg

So I assume the counter is either faulty or limited.

I’ve contacted the seller to see what they think... this is very annoying.

The second thing: the motor shaft has some slop and movement in it so the bobbin mount doesn’t run nice and true... I may think about getting another motor... but maybe that’s excessive.

I’m already starting to think about how I can do this counter better the second time around!

Thanks

guitarbuilder likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

My other winder motor armature moved sloppily too and that is when I started having problems with it. My motor was connected via a belt to the shaft within bearings though. Probably too late to add a shaft and bearings in the box I'd guess.

Mat UK likes this.
  3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, yeah too late. My other thought is to try another motor but I suspect it will probably have the same issues... and may not fit... and I’ve probably spent too much already

4. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

I took another look at the rotation, adjusting the flange made no difference, if anything it made it worse. Then I crudely stuck a nut onto the opposing side to the magnet to see if it was a balancing issue and it helped hugely. So I think If I find a suitable counter weight that might fix it.

Can you demagnetise neo magnets easily? A matching magnet would do the job.

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Re the counter balance Mat .... could you try a fishing sinker? It has a hole through it for mounting already which is easily drilled out to size and is soft enough to shave off to correct weight with a sharp utility knife of a file.

DC

Mat UK likes this.
  6. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Nice idea Dave, I've had a peruse and there aren't a huge number of suitable sinks - what was the kind of thing you meant?

I've settled on using an identical magnet on the opposite side - I have two options, either use a magnet with opposite polarity so it doesn't trigger the sensor, or demagnetise a magnet - I've read heating a neo magnet in boiling water for 15+ minutes demagnetises it. I'll give that a test.

7. guitarbuilder

How about a wood screw about the same weight as the magnet? Drill a pilot hole and then screw it in.

Mat UK likes this.
  8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I looked at the link you posted for your new counter, and could find no specification for its cycle-per- minute/second so it could be that it’s design just can not handle faster than 500 RPM. this will be ok for your first tries, but guaranteed once you have done a couple, it will annoy the hell out of you to be limited so slow.

I’d be leery of using a demagnetized neo magnet as a counterweight, if you inadvertently stored it to another magnet, it could easily become magnetized enough to play havoc with your counting. If you have access to a postal scale, or other reasonably accurate small weight scale you could weigh the magnet, and use a screw or fishing sinker like Marty or Dave suggested and not have any worries about magnetizing your counterweight.
    Really cool looking machine, hope you get it sorted soon.

Mat UK likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've never heard of de-magnetising a magnet by boiling,but maybe it works. My other suggestion would be a small wood screw on the opposing side and adding washers until it balances the magnet. I'd be a bit wary about another magnet ( de-magnetised or not) I'd probably go through my lost and found buckets of rubbish until I found a brass screw to use as well!

DC

Mat UK likes this.
  10. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Im using aluminium bar for the bobbin mount so a wood screw wouldn’t cut it - I’ve bought countersunk disk magnets so I can machine screw them on which is why I’m keen to use a demagnetised magnet (and cos aesthetically it looks better!)

I boiled a test magnet this morning; I kept it in the water over heat for about 25mins... it didn’t make a jot of difference. BUT then I thought I’d give it a try over the hob flame and it demagnetised in about 5 seconds - some of the chroming started peeling off so if I am to do it, I’ll do it in smaller stages. It still has a faint magnetic field, but if I use a reverse polarity magnet (which in tests doesn’t trigger the sensor) it should be safe and I’ll run it through the flame a few times to kill the field some more.

I dropped the seller an email, they’re trying to help me out - they said the counter should pick up the pulses in the region of 5-6000 times per second... which is clearly not happening!

It’s the kind of thing where I could accept defeat and run it at half power and 500rpm... but it will feel like a compromise too far - and as you said, while it may be useful for a beginner to run it at slow speeds initially, it’s restrictive further down the line...

My other thought is: the unit can be bought with a hall sensor which runs at 300ma, I’ve used a hall sensor that I already have that runs at 200ma - could that be the problem?

In desperation ive ordered two more counters... hopefully I’ll get to the bottom of it.

11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

I tested out a new counter this morning. Well, actually it was the same model of counter but this came with a hall sensor.

I didn’t bother testing the new counter but instead tried out their sensor - lo and behold it worked... HALLELUJAH.

I took a closer look at the new sensor and compared it to the old sensor that came with the tachometer - which I had been using. It turns out a teeny detail that was lost on me was the problem - and it was these two printed letters: NO (old sensor) and NC (new sensor)

The new counter only works with an NC npn sensor - Normally Closed. I was using a Normally Open sensor...

Success *wipes sweat from brow*

12. guitarbuilder

Was that indicated in the description or not?

13. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

It wasn’t, no. Even in their instructions it doesn’t differentiate between different types of sensors...

I’ve managed to send back the bits I don’t need for a refund - I’ve ended up ordering 5 different units for this poxy build now...

Almost there

14. R. Stratenstein

Well done, anyway.
    Slogging through gets you there every , , , well, some of the time. it sounds like your tach required a different input than your counter. But now that you have it, maybe you can hook it up and have 2 displays PLUS lighted pushbuttons to distract the simple-minded, like me! Think of how sweet those first pickups will be, that you've had to fight so hard to bring into this world.

Mat UK likes this.
  15. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Sheesh, the first time I get some wire onto a pickup i reckon I’m going to shed a tear...

It’s been a fun project... a tad frustrating at times. It’s been nice to have something to occupy me in these wet and cold winter months.

Funny you should mention flashy buttons; I hooked these up this morning - I was expecting them to light up on press, but permanently lit up suits me too!

82EDB4EC-B89C-4D69-B918-3FD08D2443B9.jpeg

I’ll save the tach for another winder - it’s a squeeze in that box and I’m yet to see if all that wiring will fit in!

16. R. Stratenstein

Really cool looking! Looks like you’re about to make your first clown-wig. No, that’s not a jinx I’m wishing on you, it is part of the required rite-of-passage.

Mat UK and guitarbuilder like this.
  17. guitarbuilder

Order twice as much magnet wire as you think you need....

Mat UK likes this.
  18. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Ha, tears of a clown then. I really hope I don't mess up... I don't think i'll participate in your rite... not that it's my choice!

I've got this from Stewmac - bought it years ago. It says it should cover 5-6 single coil pickups... please tell me I won't mess up that much! I should start looking for some wire suppliers in the UK...

19. guitarbuilder

I bought that one at first too. Since then, we here can get this. Twice the wire for less than the STewmac one. They ship to the UK, but it's probably not cheap.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=321121362251

Mat UK likes this.
  20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Love the chopping board you've used!

Mat UK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.