Building a Walnut Tele-Bo! (Official)

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Hey all, I plan on building a Tele/Billy-Bo hybrid and by Stringbanger's suggestion I'm restarting the thread here. To recap, I have brand new parts from a Paranormal Offset Tele and I also have my wood, which is currently acclimating/drying.
20201112_125213.jpg
20201107_174859.jpg
20201112_193236.jpg
20201116_071119.jpg

Attachments

• 20201112_125405.jpg
    20201112_125405.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 121

RiversQC

Tele-Meister
Hey Derek, Nice start, and nice piece of walnut. Not messing around!!!

I recently started on a Billy Bo project myself and hope to start a build thread soon. Hope you won't mind if I do, stealing your thunder(bird) if at all :)

That shape has really been growing on me, can't say why.

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Hey Derek, Nice start, and nice piece of walnut. Not messing around!!!

I recently started on a Billy Bo project myself and hope to start a build thread soon. Hope you won't mind if I do, stealing your thunder(bird) if at all :)

That shape has really been growing on me, can't say why.
I'll be sure to check it out!

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Finally, two weeks has passed! Got a solid start by routing out the body and the neck pocket (shoutout to my dad) and I sanded it a good bit too. The only flaw right now is the neck pocket, it's a little uneven and part of it is slanted from a jigsaw mishap, so the solution is looking to be to simply cut it in a little deeper, so it's more sturdy and all. Thoughts?

20201126_175233.jpg
20201127_152943.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
but we don't have one of those fancy long drill bits! Should I buy one off Amazon
That's where I bought my long bits...Irwin brand and reasonably priced. go 5/16" or 3.8"...1/4" is too small for some wiring situations, including some vintage wire insulation and a quick plug system like GFS provides.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
A good hardware store or the box stores like H.D. will have the extended length bits for drilling out the wire path. I've seen them in the H.F. stores too.

Edit: I was going to say something about Amazon, but on second thought this is probably not the time or place - so I'll just keep my mouth shut ;).

Last edited:

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Alright, buying a bit tonight. Now next step is applying oil, and I'll be using Boiled Linseed, how many coats should I do, and how long should I wait? I've been researching the topic a lot and can't find a decent answer.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Alright, buying a bit tonight. Now next step is applying oil, and I'll be using Boiled Linseed, how many coats should I do, and how long should I wait? I've been researching the topic a lot and can't find a decent answer.

BLO is a nice finish to provide a soft look and it does cure as it's a drying oil. It doesn't "build" in the same way that most other finishes do. But it's not very protective if that is your goal. I use it to pop grain, etc., but rarely as "the" finish for something unless they are decorative items that will not be handled a lot. The lone exception has been the cherry desk I built for Professor Dr. SWMBO back in 1997 as my first furniture project...BLO and wax.

There are a lot of finishing products that have "oil" in the name, but they are much more than oil as they have resins, etc., in the formula before they are "cooked" into the final project. A popular "gun stock" finishing product comes to mind in that respect..."oil" in the name, but it's a film finish that builds.

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Yes, that's the look I'm going for, nice and simple. Tru-Oil does give pretty interesting shine, I'm not a pro but later on if I did buy some I could just coat it on top of the BLO right?

Dereksys38

Tele-Meister
Second coat of BLO just applied, I really like how simple it is but how it still makes the body look gorgeous. The bit came in, and tomorrow I plan to drill the holes, solder and screw everything in. The holes in the neck pup hole is from an attempt to drill the hole instead of routing:lol:
20201201_192629.jpg
20201201_192543.jpg

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Tru-Oil does give pretty interesting shine, I'm not a pro but later on if I did buy some I could just coat it on top of the BLO right?
Yes, you can do that should you decide you want more build and shine. One thing you can do to provide a little more protection is to use a low sheen wipe on varnish/poly...just a coat or two to seal things better without buggering the soft look that "just the oil" provides. Oils, etc. from your fingers can and will become noticeable over time with just the BLO.