Building a T-Style from a historic stump

cfay

TDPRI Member
Hello all!
I am newer to this forum but figured I would post a project I am working on if yall are interested. It is a stump I am making into a Tele.

A brief backstory about this wood: I was one of several chosen by the city of Mobile, Alabama to receive a piece of historic lumber from Bienville Square. This lumber was from 200+ year old oak trees that fell during Hurricane Sally and at the time I didnt know what I was going to do it with it. After letting it dry in the shop for well over a year my wife challenged me to the only logical thing I could make out of this: a guitar.

After digging it off the top shelf in my shop I discovered it had cupped quite a bit (expected). It also had a lot of checking and cracks in the lumber (these trees came down for a reason). I then decided it would need to be milled into smaller "chunks", epoxy filled and remade into a "solid piece" of wood again if it had any hope of being structurally sound. I will add pictures of that process now and see if yall are interested in seeing more. I had to chamber this quite a bit to get into into a playable weight since the raw body with no cap on it yet still weighed well over 9lbs.

Planned specs so far:
-All oak body and neck (historic oak will be on front of Tele with a cap on the back)
-Back is book matched oak from a local lumber mill in Mobile, AL they lost behind their kilns many many years ago after getting it from a torn down cabin.
-The neck will be from the same lumber as above.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Bienville1.jpeg
    Bienville1.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Bienville7.jpeg
    Bienville7.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Bienville6.jpeg
    Bienville6.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Bienville5.jpeg
    Bienville5.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Bienville4.jpeg
    Bienville4.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Bienville3.jpeg
    Bienville3.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Bienville2.jpeg
    Bienville2.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like the multiple piece look in a tele and that should turn out awesome.

I tore out the pine porch from my home that was built in 1860 by the railroad and built a tele out of the planks. It took a lot of pieces, but I loved the result when I finally finished it.
tele 003.jpg

cfay

TDPRI Member
7 lbs dead even....even with the Baja neck
I see, thanks for sharing! This body came in at over 10lbs before I hallowed it out and added a back cap. I did a Gibson style route out on the inside and managed to get the body down to just under 7lbs though with oak back. This is going to be a beast but theres no way around that with this almost petrified and insanely dense oak.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe if you could make a Tele out of Long John Silver's peg leg, that would truly be a historic stump.

cfay

TDPRI Member
Love the way you layed out the pieces prior to cutting the body
Thank you, was hard to make a gem out of this wood but tried my best to line up grain, color, etc. and hide the less than desirable pieces under the pickguard all while still doing this wood justice. Literally had just enough wood to work with for the body without cap.

I reckon I used nearly half a bottle of the large 30 minute finishing epoxy too in filling all of the cracks and grain filling after but was worth it. Just as I thought I was done I would find another crack, especially when routing out the inside for weight relief. This thing is rock solid now though so should hold well past my time here.