Building A Swing Arm Belt Sander

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guitarnut, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Warnz

Warnz Tele-Meister

Looking great Mark :cool:

2. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Here's another option on the thickness sander. I may go this way instead. The builder wasn't successful in getting a feed belt to work but I think he took the wrong approach. A second overhead roller on a drive reduction would do the trick and eliminate all the tracking issues he had. It would mean a redesign of the adjusting mech but that's probably in order anyway.

This idea could easily be adapted to most lathes.

Shopsmith Thickness Sander

Mark

3. Guitarnut

I've greatly appreciated your input and support along the way. Thanks!!!

Mark

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You should sell plans for that sander....it is great looking. One of the drawbacks to my edge sander is the gap between the roller and platen. If you could essentially close that up... you'd be able to use that roller effectively too.

5. Guitarnut

I reassembled everything this morning to check clearance and such. It all looks good. I need to trim the plate a bit and get it and the ply bed fastened down. I'll have it mounted to the Shopsmith tomorrow and get the final tweaking done. I know for sertain that my side panels will need to be shortened in height...I left them tall knowing I couldn't get a final fit until it was on the way tubes. I'll likely leave them a touch long and slot the mounting holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark

6. Guitarnut

Thanks GB.

My wife mentioned that just last night. She said "Is this something you can sell?" My response was "No, I'm gonna use it in the shop." She replied "I mean can you make them to sell or sell plans? Don't lots of people have Shopsmiths?" She's a "big picture" kinda gal. :cool:

Unfortunately, the gap has to be there to allow the roller to travel for belt changes. It will get even wider when I trim the plate to length. Unless the plate travels too, I think I'm stuck with the gap. The front side of the roller is still plenty usable though.

I could cheat the plate all the way to one end and close the gap, but the opposite end would be the permanent traveler. So, to make use of the free end roller, I would have to make belt changes by unhooking from the Shopsmith, sliding the roller on that end, then do the belt change and tension adjustment from that end as well. Cumbersome.

Mark

7. Guitarnut

Mounting the Sander

Last night I started the process of fitting the sander to the Shopsmith. The first time I set the sander on the tubes was very encouraging. I went ahead and mocked up the entire setup. It looks very much like my drawings. I don't see any nasty surprises at this point.

[​IMG]

The height was off, as I knew it would be, but the alignment with the quill was almost dead on. The difference here is easily adjusted out with the roller arms.

[​IMG]

After some careful measurements and disassembly ...again... I removed 1.625" from the height of the side panels. On the second fitting, the axle popped right into the chuck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More today. My goal is another live run but this time on the Shopsmith with real time adjustments.

Mark

8. dietrichluthier

dietrichluthier Tele-Meister

good job!!

I love the machine!!:D

9. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Thats pretty darned impressive there Mark !!

10. Warnz

Warnz Tele-Meister

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :D

11. Guitarnut

Thanks!

12. Guitarnut

Thanks Mac! Your input along the way has been greatly appreciated.

Mark

13. Guitarnut

I do, I do, I do...

14. Guitarnut

Shopsmith Live Run

Well, my goal today was to get the sander buttoned up and do a test run on the Shopsmith. Mission accomplished. :D :D :D

It took only a few minute to install the belt once I had the sander supported by the SS chuck. The tracking is very responsive and easy to accomplish with the guides allowing adjustment while running.

I have some progress pics from today that I'll be posting later.

My new Canon camera decided to take a dump last night...the lcd screen is no longer displaying. Still takes pics and video, I just can't see what I'm shooting. So, I shot this with my phone...not great but it shows the day's results.

Mark

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  15. Guitarnut

Here are some steps and pics that lead up to the video posted above.

First thing was to get the guides marked and drilled so they would be ready to go on with the bed.

[​IMG]

Next were the bed and lower support panel. I drilled and mounted them in the same way as the base...I used 1/4" hardware here since I had limited thickness to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When those were installed and squared, I cut and drilled the final axles.

[​IMG]

I locked the axles into the bearings, and moved the roller in tight so they were between the rails. I drilled thru a hole in the hub to mark the holes for the cotter pins.

[​IMG]

I drilled the holes thru the axles on the drill press and then drilled out the other side of the flange...this way, I wasn't trying to match a hole that was already drilled in the flange. The exit hole was drilled on the path of the hole thru the axle.

[​IMG]

With all the sides and bed tight and square, the plate was 1/16" too wide. So I trimmed an edge on the band saw.

[​IMG]

...like a glove. :cool:

[​IMG]

16. Guitarnut

With the sander back on the Shopsmith and the live axle tight in the chuck, the hinged panel was a breeze to use. The sander relaxed just a hair...no sag and everything stayed put.

[​IMG]

I drilled the plate and countersunk the holes for 1/4" flat head machine screws. I used tee nuts underneath to tighten the plate to the bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then finally, the belt. It went on with ease and the live run test was a piece of cake. The belt started out hard to one side but a quick adjustment centered it right up. The adjusters worked really well and were very responsive...a quarter turn made quite a difference in the tracking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Fantastic Mark , when is the first radius run ?

18. Guitarnut

Thanks Herb. I plan on finishing up the towers and swing arm tomorrow. Should be able to make a test run before the weekend is out. :cool:

Hope you're feeling better today. :)

Mark

19. PLAYONIT

PLAYONIT Tele-Meister

Great stuff !!!!! Nice to see good things happening in Western New York :D

20. Guitarnut

Inmy quest to sling a radius before sundown, I started on the towers,making heavy use of a square to be sure things say square and plumb. I changed my design for the gussets because I didn't have any scrap wider than this. But these towers ar square and rock-solid. no worries there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I clamped everything in place to make another check on alignment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.