Building a replica of my old strat, school me on PAFs

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 4pickupguy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Becky, my old strat had an original PAF in the bridge when I first assembled her. It was really bright and airy for a humbucker. In my infinite wisdom I replaced it with a Duncan JB. I want this strat to have as close as possible to that old PAF. I would like it to have Fender spacing if possible. What’s out there that is a good vintage PAF replica?

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There are so many options out there it's overwhelming. Gibson was all over the place with early PAFs which is why you see replicas with several different magnet types, different amounts of winds, and options where one set of bobbins has fewer winds than the other. People can argue about it endlessly. I like Duncan antiquities and Lollar imperials quite a bit but my favorite set if what Grosh wound for the 59 spec I have.

Mincer and Jack Clayton like this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I use the vintage series USA made Fender's and love em. I got a set of 54 CS pups in my 54 Strat that I built, and wouldn't give em up for nothin' ;) That said, my USA made 56 LP has it's original P90's in her and likewise I love them too.

4. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

+1 on these recommendations. I've got a pair of antiquities in a 335 build, and they sound excellent. But if I've played a better PAF than the antiquity, it's the Lollar imperial. Those babies have simply the best midrangey edge of break up PAF sound I've ever heard.

Telekarster and Golem like this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

DiMarzio has quite a few "vintage" style PAF offerings. Most come in F spacing.

The new "Fortitude" looks kind of interesting.

Jakedog and Zepfan like this.
  6. J-fish

J-fish Tele-Meister

You might try with wiring the JB in parallel instead of the stock series wiring. I did the same and then I found the pickup didn't need to be replaced anymore.
    Granted, it is not a PAF tone, more of a Filtertron like thing, but I like this. I suggest to wire the parallel wired JB to a tone control, too. It might be even too bright without one

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Antiquity or Seth Lover would be my choice. I've recently been using an Antiquity and if your style depends on touch-sensitivity and clean to Marshall-levels of distortion, it is the perfect pickup.

Retrobob, Wallaby and Golem like this.
  8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The Dimarzio 36 Anniversary PAF's are fantastic.

The SD PRails are great for PAF HB tone, plus you get the P90 tones too that are very good. Don't know about the little rail pup yet, I got a set with some triple shot rings coming today or tomorrow.

Jakedog and Golem like this.
  9. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The p rails in parallel or series?

The Dimarzio transitions sound pretty good for a PAF tone despite using ceramic magnets and having a hotter DCR. Must be the air bucker thing they do. I hesitate to recommend them because they’re not traditional and a bit hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 4pickupguy

Thanks folks! Been looking at the Rio Grand Genuine Texas and Lollar low wind Imperial. Any have experience with any Rio Grands? Yes, I forgot to mention 4 conductor for parallel option.

11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the lollar Imperials, not the low winds, they are nice.

There are soooo many people trying to make PAF replicas. I listened to lots of samples before I bought some tyson toneworks for my LP traditional. I wanted something not as hot as most of the replicas. I bet the lollar low winds are nice.

12. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Fender loads a lot of HSS Strats with "Pearly Gates plus" models, it's a PAF spec HB. It's basically a PAF made for a Strat, I imagine they're "F-spaced". You can probably find a lot of them used since they're a stock pickup.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Seymour Duncan or Throwback.

14. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Does Throwback make f-spaced and/or short legged HBs? I'd think that would be contrary to the company's mission statement.

Wally likes this.
  15. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister

I mainly play a Les Paul (although that is changing) and I went down the PAF rabbit hole a while back. I think the best PAF pickups I’ve installed have been either by Jim Wagner (WCR Pickups) or Throbak. I’ve had better luck with these winders than many other brands although I haven’t tried them all. I suggest calling either or them and tell them what you are looking for and they will suggest a humbucker pickup for a strat. Although you probably can’t go wrong with a Throbak SLE-101 or a WCR set of Crossroads. Those are just great pickups.

16. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Pearly Gates Plus is like a regular Pearly Gates, but hotter, with an A5 mag and more wire, potted and in phase with normal Fender pickups. It is a little on the hot side for a PAF.

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, the ‘Fender’ Pearly Gates sounds nothing like a normal Pearly Gates even though SD builds both of them.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got the PRail's yesterday, but I also got the triple shot rings too. So I can do series or parallel HB mode, P90 mode, rail pup mode or combos of which ever coil of each set for in phase/out of phase combos. Either I'll like them all or just a couple and forget how to access them.:D

19. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

20170220_150254.jpg I didn't really care for the two conventional PAF type pickups I fitted to my Strat, and there are just too many alternatives to choose from. So I tried these Warman Retro Rockers, figuring I couldn't really go wrong for about £30 (UK) a pair. No, they don't sound exactly like a Gretsch or TV Jones Filtertron but to my old ears they have much more air and clarity than a conventional hb.

Jlwctn likes this.
  20. 4pickupguy

Thanks folks! Today I ordered the Rio Grande low wind Buffalo w/4 conductor wire and nickel cover. Fingers crossed!!

chrisr0712, Golem and tubegeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.