building a neck with a ebony fretboard?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by funkymann1, Sep 7, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

any good tutorials on this?
    ive done dozens of maple & rosewood necks but never ebony....i buy my fretboards from stew mac & from what i see i will need to tint the board...my only issue is my technique of building necks is i glue the fretboard after i do the TR channel then trim off the sides then do the markers....every time i see an ebony board installation the markers & trimming are done after the tinting & the fretboard is mounted with everytying trimmed & ready to go....never done it this way...
    in other words i dont see myself being able to tint a board after its glued & markers are on....

2. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

3. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

The dye is messy stuff. Gloves, covered table, and anything you don't want black well away from you are all musts.

Unless you are going for a consistently near black fretboard (which is perfectly understandable) or your piece has too much blond in it, I prefer it natural, with a few wisps of light wood here and there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.