1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Building a Keith Richards Ya-Ya-Caster! Need help!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Brandon Cur, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Brandon Cur

Brandon Cur Tele-Meister

Hey guys.

I wanna get a list of all the stuff that I would need to get a really authentic Early-70s Stones/Get yer Ya Yas Out type Tele for a friend of mine.

Any Keith experts know what color/model would be appropriate? I need to know what kind of bridge/pickups/guts would cop the vibe. I think I will be trying to get a Fender Repro neck and an old Fender body I have.

I'll want this guitar to excel especially at these ya-ya's types of tones (Midnight Rambler, Street Fightin' Man, etc.)

2. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

Ya-Ya's was Keith's black Les Paul Custom and Ampeg Dan Armstrong, mostly, from the 1969 tour. Teles don't really show up too much until 71 or 72.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I do believe Monster Mike is right. Do a search here for 'Micawber' for Keith's Tele preferances.

4. msfenderarg

msfenderarg Friend of Leo's

5. Brandon Cur

Brandon Cur Tele-Meister

Hmm

Seems you guys are right. From what I've read a Black 335 (I'm not certain of the model. I know it's a semi) and a Dan Armstrong are to blame for those great raucous crunch tones on GYYO. I really wanted to get some kind of DIY Keith flavored Ya-Ya's Tele.

Is there anyway I could make a Tele that could sound like the Ampeg guitar maybe? I don't wanna let my buddy down.

Thanks for all the links and info so far guys.

6. tweed_pro

tweed_pro Tele-Meister

If you want that fat sound without going with a Gibson, I suggest you outfit the telecaster with some Broadcaster pickups.

7. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

ES 355 into Ampeg, take a look at "Gimme Shelter" DVD

8. Brandon Cur

Brandon Cur Tele-Meister

Well I have a 335 with a great body (resonance, sustain, etc.) but the pickups are meh. Does anyone know a good pair of buckers I could toss in with an RS Kit to have this thing kickin' like Keith's?

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Brandon,

A Jason Lollar Imperial High Wind in the bridge and Imperial Low Wind in the neck would do you very nicely. I'm not really a humbucker fan but I have one home-brew with an Imperial High Wind in the bridge and it's magnificent when I'm in that occasional humbucker mood.

Barncaster

Barncaster

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.