Building a guitar. . . . Hummmm...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ronkirn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ftitele

ftitele TDPRI Member

Wow... amazing work. You can really see a pro is at work here.

A question about the binding: Is the binding that you bought exactly the same thickness as the rout you made? In other words, will you still be needing to sand the binding flush against the side of the body?

Also what is the disadvantage from applying the binding after dying the body?

Can't wait to see the end result.

Rgds.

Fti

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I made slightly thicker binding from natural wood for my last two guitar projects. I glued it place and then scraped it down to meet the body. I'm not sure if that's how you do it with plastic binding.

Absolutely gorgeous project btw. I love a bound Tele!

3. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

Wow, I am speechless... I can't believe how the bookmatched "tiger stripe" grain comes out so clearly once you get stain on it! Amazing...

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ron ............ this thread is no less that excellent.[​IMG] Great pictures and narrative. With one look at your website one can see that you are a true artist and craftsmen. Thanks for sharing how you do it.

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Great thread. Thanks for sharing, Ron.

Two questions:

How did I miss this one when you started it?

Why is it not a Sticky?

6. Mack

Mack TDPRI Member

I have only one thing to say about this guitar.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

You have no idea how jealous I am at your skills here.... Awesome!

Mak.

:D

7. hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565 Tele-Meister

\
    I think he took the words right out of my mouth. Great job, Ron!

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

The binding is a few thousandths thicker, thus the top edge will get scraped

This is purely a matter of preference, some like to spray everything and scrap, others do it this way, there's no real advantage or disadvantage to either way.

Building a guitar is like any other task requiring a higher level of skill. Much of the things that have to be done can be done many different ways, it’s just a matter of finding what works for ya.

The real killer is that it’s so much fun.

rk

Bpayne82 likes this.
  9. need2retire

need2retire Tele-Meister

Could there be a risk of getting glue on the stained/painted body if binding is done afterward? Or it's ok cause it's easy to fix? Seems to me avoiding the scraping is easier though. But don't know what I'm talking about as I never built a guitar before. But I do plan to have that "fun" too someday.

I'm learning a lot from you Ron ... Thanks so much.

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You ain't just a whistlin' Dixie there my friend!

Thanks again for sharing!

11. Ronkirn

the secret is using a sealer that has a high tolerance for the solvent in the glue being used. That way you can wipe any that oozes out before any erosion occurs.

rk

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

You know, I built a Saga Tele kit about a year ago....looking at these photos and reading Ron's words makes me feel about as useful as the chewing gun that's under the seats at the movie theater.

To see a hunk of wood change into a beautiful guitar body without CNC or computers or lasers is just amazing.

I have a dumb question....How close is this process to the process that the guys at Fender would have used in 1957? The hand's on skill is is just humbling to a knucklehead like me who can barley build a speaker cabinet.

Very Cool! Thanks for posting.

John

13. Tedecaster

Tedecaster Tele-Afflicted

Ron, please show us when you scrape the binding flush. The thought of that step is giving me the shivers.

Do you have a special scraper with a guide as not to scape more than just the edge of the binding? Or lots of clear coat for a buffer? Or just nerves of steel & a steady hand to match?

14. Ronkirn

That's hard to say... but since they didn't have CNC technology. . it would come down to the size of the machine being used...

I have a couple of scrapers around.. I'll be digging 'em out and showing ya... I made them... it's easy....there are a few methods that work fine....

rk

15. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Ron. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

16. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Very, very nice. Just checking Ron's website and looking at the blondes.

What colour is this shade? Is it blonde burst? orange burst? Whatever it is, I love it.

17. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

I believe it's honey sunburst or "honeyburst"

18. Ronkirn

Well, Tommy called Friday to let me know Brocks’ and several other’s necks were on the way, so that made it scrape time. I want to have the body ready for lacquer at the same time the neck arrives so it can all be sprayed at the same time.

When I have lacquered over the binding, I use the conventional scrape method. Here are a couple of simple, yet effective scrapers I have made from scraps of lumber and recycled saw blades.

The construction is pretty simple and really requires no description.

[​IMG]

they are used as seen here…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The “bite” of the blade is controlled by rotating the scraper’s blade against the binding to get the correct feel as the material is removed. This is a “feel’ thing, but not really difficult. If you are attempting this, take a scrap of binding, bind a hunk of scrap lumber, paint it and scrape it. You will get the feel rapidly.

Ron Kirn

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  19. Ronkirn

The shop made scrapers are great, but not really necessary for this application, thus I pull out the stops and go “whole hog” and bring out the Super Duper, Mega Mighty Metal scraper, I spare no expense… Oh some call it a utility knife blade.
    I put a couple of layers of tape over the sharp edge that rides across the finished surface, and simply rake , in a diagonal motion, using my finger tips to regulate the angle as the blade attacks the binding.

[​IMG]

Here is the blade in action, I use two hands to pull the blade, it’s just that one is wrapped around a Nikon to take the photo here.

[​IMG]

The scraper I made can be used too, as seen here. I just find the simple blade faster and easier to control.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the scraped binding during the process. As you develop a bit of finesse, you will become very adept at removing any glue and other related ooze that needs to be removed.

[​IMG]

Ron Kirn

mgarofolo likes this.
  20. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Hot Diggity !
    Phenomenal work Ron, and THANK YOU for the thread !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.