1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Building A Fender Marauder Bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ElGuitarGeek, Mar 8, 2021.

1. ElGuitarGeek

ElGuitarGeek TDPRI Member

First time posting here, hoping someone could help me out.

After seeing the Marauder while looking at odd Fender models a few years back, I always thought having one would be neat. Now after building a Toronado and a Strat partscaster I want to take a shot at building a Marauder Bass.

The problem being, I have no idea what the measurements/dimensions of the body is/ should be, so I have no good starting point. Can anyone with a Marauder, or maybe someone that has built one help me out here?

Edit: Didn’t explain the best. There is no such thing as an official Marauder bass. I am looking for a template or blueprints for the usual six string guitar Marauder so I can modify it to be used as a bass.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I can't find any photos of a Marauder Bass, just the normal 6-string Marauder guitar. Do you have any photos?

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

They made a Marauder in the Player series a few years back. Not aware there was ever a Marauder bass even as a prototype. But the guitar shape is pretty close to a Jag so why not use that at your guide?

edvard likes this.
  4. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

There is a program I bought years ago that works perfectly for what you're trying to do. It's only $ 22, but it only works on a PC, no Mac version

https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

You would take a stock photo of a Marauder, then assign a known value, in this case the bass scale length, and the program figures out the rest.

I've used it when no templates were available.

Good Luck !

jkingma likes this.
  5. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking the same thing. There's lots of real estate behind the guitar bridge of a Jaguar/JazzMaster body to accommodate bass bridge placement.

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

OK, I got it. Here's a Jag Bass template, which is just a Jazz Bass superimposed on a Jaguar body. To make it a Marauder, you need to make the pickguard one piece except for the control plate, and put a blade pickup switch where the multi-switch block is on the lower horn, and eliminate the roller controls on the top horn. Ignore the routing for active electronics. Do what you want for pickups.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  7. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

It would be nice if it would have a hidden pickup

8. ElGuitarGeek

There isn’t actually a Marauder bass, you would be correct. I was just looking for a template of the normal six string guitar body, then I could modify it to make it work as a bass guitar.

9. ElGuitarGeek

That sounds like it would work pretty well if I can’t find any actual templates of the normal six string model. Thanks

10. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

11. ElGuitarGeek

I did Google around a bit before posting this thread, guess I either missed it or couldn’t find it under the search terms I used. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.