Building a Classic Rock Setlist

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I wonder how this song about male dominance -- would go over with today's woman. Don't get me wrong, I like it.

No different to the women of the 60's I would imagine.

I think these kind of power and control 'games' still happen in relationships these days.

I never like to put too much weight on a song, because it's a song... but maybe there would be a higher percentage that would see it as a cautionary tale these days?

... the suggestion in the song is that the female starts out as pushy and dominating, so it's really about dominance in a relationship rather than 'male dominance' exclusively. Neither is usually a recipe for success (unless it's what both parties want) but it's not a love song about a happy sharing and caring relationship is it?

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
What about something by Dire Straits? Or possibly Steppinwolf? “Born to be Wild” could be updated. “Down by the Waterside” is a cool song.

WWLaidback

Tele-Meister
What about something by Dire Straits? Or possibly Steppinwolf? “Born to be Wild” could be updated. “Down by the Waterside” is a cool song.
I wondered about Steppenwolf. Magic Carpet Ride was a favorite for me. They're a great band, but it's mostly keyboards.
Dire Straights is a good band. Mark Knoffler has his own unique finger playing style on guitar, and it's hard to duplicate.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
precisely. Note for note won't cut it.

Have you noticed that rock and roll is going away?
Maybe a different approach might work? ya think?
I think it may not be in the mainstream but I don't see it going away. Not in my circle.
Check out Blackberry smoke for example. They are now packing major venue's on a major US tour every year. They are Rock and Roll in every sense.
Or Greta Van Fleet, while I am not a huge fan, their recipe seemed to work. You are worried about out of date but playing cover music. Maybe you are wanting to be original? Just a thought.

WWLaidback

Tele-Meister
No different to the women of the 60's I would imagine.

I think these kind of power and control 'games' still happen in relationships these days.

I never like to put too much weight on a song, because it's a song... but maybe there would be a higher percentage that would see it as a cautionary tale these days?

... the suggestion in the song is that the female starts out as pushy and dominating, so it's really about dominance in a relationship rather than 'male dominance' exclusively. Neither is usually a recipe for success (unless it's what both parties want) but it's not a love song about a happy sharing and caring relationship is it?

The Stones are a great band and I've listened to them a lot.
I even play Angie on my 12 string a bit.
Where do you find a vocalist with the Jagger persona?

WWLaidback

Tele-Meister
I think it may not be in the mainstream but I don't see it going away. Not in my circle.
Check out Blackberry smoke for example. They are now packing major venue's on a major US tour every year. They are Rock and Roll in every sense.
Or Greta Van Fleet, while I am not a huge fan, their recipe seemed to work. You are worried about out of date but playing cover music. Maybe you are wanting to be original? Just a thought.
Thanks. I'll check that out.
I want to rework the rock and roll hymnbook so to speak.
There is so much to choose from.
Contemporary Christian Music had a lot of success -- reworking their old hymnals over the last 20 years -- using Nashville's music studios -- and then releasing it on K-Love radio.

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
Thanks. I'll check that out.
I want to rework the rock and roll hymnbook so to speak.
There is so much to choose from.
Contemporary Christian Music had a lot of success -- reworking their old hymnals over the last 20 years -- using Nashville's music studios -- and then releasing it on K-Love radio.
Understandable. In that respect I would say worry less about not having the ability to have a Mick Jagger as your lead like you state above or emulating Knopfler's wicked playing style. The whole frame work of what you are wanting to do is laid in doing it how you ARE able to.
So don't shoot down the classic's that everyone knows (yes us 25 year olds know these classics just like you) but instead take those classics and deliver them in a way that we can all respect and enjoy to hear. People can tell when you are playing genuinely rather than try to mock another player.

If your influences are rooted in classic rock and roll then it will come out even if you are playing a song that you might think is too "pop".

WWLaidback

Tele-Meister
Understandable. In that respect I would say worry less about not having the ability to have a Mick Jagger as your lead like you state above or emulating Knopfler's wicked playing style. The whole frame work of what you are wanting to do is laid in doing it how you ARE able to.
So don't shoot down the classic's that everyone knows (yes us 25 year olds know these classics just like you) but instead take those classics and deliver them in a way that we can all respect and enjoy to hear. People can tell when you are playing genuinely rather than try to mock another player.

If your influences are rooted in classic rock and roll then it will come out even if you are playing a song that you might think is too "pop".
Well this is true when I think outside of the bigger box, on the other-hand very few can do a Jimi Hendrix song and get away with it.
I can only think of a few successes: SRV with voodoo child, Rod Stewart with Angel, and Spirit with Hey Joe.

But there are many failures.
A respectable musician can lose his respect rather quickly that way.
I'll show a couple of bombs.

Clapton got lazy and butchered the song with "too much talent"

John Mayer, a very talented guitarist but no Jimi, and the frustration shows:

Slash, good lead but no Jimi:

WWLaidback, amateur with a guitar 20 years ago:

Last edited:

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Chet is a master guitarist that could play many genres.
I was impressed with some of his jazz work.
Vince Gill learned from Chet and he's a polished guitarist:

No, that’s not it.

You remind me of a former member who’s name was Chet.

ScottTunes

Tele-Meister
piano and sax. no. that's not my idea of rock and roll.

Piano and saxophone are a huge foundation of R&R! John Lennon once said distorted guitar basically replaced the sax.

Using Lennon (again) and The Beatles, they got their start playing real classic rock, but "B sides." Jazz and Blues IS the foundation of Rock. Why not use some of the 50s era...

Also, instead of being a "live jukebox," how about coming up with your own arrangements, like the professionals do. Don't just cover the record. That's already been "done" to death (possibly why guitar rock began fading to begin with).

Having different arrangements to familiar songs creates new interest. One way to do that is to alter the key of a song to fit you, and/or your singer(s).

John Paul Jones was a masterful arranger prior to joining Led Zepp. It was also a key role for him WITH Zepp.

Changing an arrangement is difficult. But, get it right, and you your band, and probably your audience will enjoy your versions of familiar tunes.

WWLaidback

Tele-Meister
I don't know what it is, but you've got it bad. Have you ever posted anything positive?

2.5 billion views.
a guy rides a tricycle and raps.
I'm sorry but I don't see the music value here.
They aren't even considered "a band" by a lot of people.
Maybe I should consider it a "video production" instead of music.
That's the best explanation I can come up with.
Am I being unfair?