1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

building a baritone tele. what pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chet Johnson, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Hey all! Im building a baritone tele. Ive built a LOT of strats and teles and know how about every pickup out there will behave in 10-46 string guage, and strat scale length.

With a baritone neck and beaver strings tuned b-b, how much do I need to compensate for output and bright tone? Will it easily overdrive the amp? Should I stay vintage , or are hotter output pickups ok?

Anyone have experience with a baritone tele?

2. kinetiq

kinetiq Former Member

The same pickups you'd put in a non-baritone tele will work fine. The only tones you can get that'll be lower than a standard-tuned guitar are the open B string through the first four frets. The harmonics and sustain are slightly different using longer (and thicker) strings - the anti-mandolin effect - and you'll likely have to turn down the bass on your amp more than usual to blend in a band situation. I'd suggest vintage output as a starting point, especially if you're concerned with bright tone.

Check out the Earth album "Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method" for some americana-influenced baritone tele. It's hard to pin down Dylan Carlson's gear but I believe he uses Bardens in at least one of his teles, not sure if it's a baritone tuned one or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.