Building a 2x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Il Belva, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi guys,
    I decided to build a 2x10, don't ask me why it's just some kind of GAS :p
    I will use pinewood and I will use this schematic:
    [​IMG]
    I wanted your opinion about the speakers. Googling a bit I found people that talk wonders about the Jensen 10/70. I personally like the greenbacks so I was thinking about 10" greenbacks.
    Have you got experience about 10" speakers? Any suggestion?
    I will use it with a Vox AC15 and a Laney Cub10!

bye

TMMC likes this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got a Jensen 10/70 in my Cub 10 and it's a great speaker. I find it a little dark at lower volumes though and the tone control is always wound round to '10'. Wind the volume up a little and all is forgiven. It displays a tight bass, zero flub, wonderful, projecting mids and crystal clear treble. Certainly an improvement over the HH 1050 fitted as stock. Loud little thing too. At high volume, it's glorious.

asnarski likes this.
  3. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Can't really go wrong with greenbacks and a British circuit! Also check the WGS lineup - I love their speakers and they are generally cheaper than Celestion.

TMMC likes this.
  4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Schwalbenschwanzverbindungen. Schwalbenschwanzverbindungen indeed.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Greenbacks are a much better match with bother and a far better speaker. I am not a fan of new Jensens - the so-called "reissues" are just the new name owner's designs sort of similar to vintage speakers; they're cheap imports that are not the same or even close in sound to original Jensens.

Other British-voiced speakers can be found at Eminence and Warehouse Guitar Speakers; I especially like the WGS Celestion-types, and the prices are very reasonable.

There was no schematic above - make sure you order speakers that (when combined when wired in either series or parallel...and also combined with the internal speaker if you will use it that way) will have the right *total* impedance for your amps. If they are different in impedance I would not use the same cabinet with both - the Vox in particular does not like incorrect speaker loads.

If you don't know how to calculate the total impedance all the speaker manufacturer websites have wiring guides.

Il Belva likes this.
  6. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reminder :D

7. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi VintageSG,
    I think I'm not going to get a Jensen MOD10/70, it looks like it's difficult to find it in Italy at decent prices, but I'm not a good googler!

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hiya,
    As the Jensen is made in Italy, perhaps approach them directly. It is a match made in heaven in the amp, for those times you don't want to lug about the amp + 2x10" cab.
    Jensen 10-70, 5751 in V1, JJ 6V6S output valves and bias it correctly and you have one stonking good amp. I've run mine through 2 1x10"s, a 1x12" and a 4x12" ( not all at the same time :) ) and it belies its size. Loud, controlled, forceful and toneful. What I really want though is a 2x10". I think it'll be the perfect match.

I'd be tempted to replace the stock speaker in the amp with a Jensen and build the cab with Celestions. Different sounds make for variety.

9. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

I know they are made in Italy, that's what makes this thing absurd!!!
    I am either the worst googler ever or they just export the things (that seems quite impossible to me).

P.S. I found them, I confirm I'm the worst googler in the world, I was searching in English and not in Italian...

10. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Try hotrox uk for jensen speakers. I dont know what shipping to italy would be like though

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The 10/70 is awfully bass heavy and sort of an oddly-voiced "American" style scooped-mid speaker - with the highs rolled off. Both those amps pair better (IMO) with British voiced (Celestion-type) speakers; otherwise the amp voicing is kind of fighting the speaker's response curve.

Mods are also a "budget" line, but 10/70's are not that cheap price-wise. I've removed 10/70's because players thought they were far too "dark" sounding, lacking Fender highs and the upper-mid response of Celestions. Among many techs Jensens (including the mod line) are all notoriously hard to break in, either taking a long time or needing "help"(using solvent on the surrounds to break up the heavy doping). I have a few newer Jensens myself that ended up ok after solvent-assist and high-volume 20+ hour break in, but I'll never recommend or buy them again. They're also "disposable" - in the long run never worth reconing.

If pricing is an issue I'd look at Weber and WGS' British-voiced models - or Celestion if you can get the British ones cheaper over there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.