1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Building a 2nd smaller pedalboard. What 8 pedals would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by pete-strych, Jul 4, 2015.

1. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

If it's more than one row of pedals and wider than your standing guitar stance, you might be a bit delusional in calling it a small board, even if it is smaller than your "big" board. :lol: But, as quoted above, everything is relative!

I'll probably get kicked out of this forum for admitting that I've never owned 8 pedals at one time. :lol:

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm with Joe except I own way too many pedals..

It's hard for me to mentally manage 8 pedals at once. My small board has 4 or 5. :cool: When I use my "big board" I will put 8 on it but only use 6.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Great pedal suggestions so far! Some of you guys are in the same mindset as me. I need to clarify my project & explain my "small pedalboard" idea. First of all, I don't play 8-10 pedals at a time. I need a VERSATILE set-up to adapt to my situations & genres. Some of us guitarists may be sidemen or do session work. A producer or artist may say, "we'll be needing a Pete Anderson style twang, or can you play an outro solo like Hendrix, or can I hear some lush ethereal chord like Jeffrey Kunde would play, or chunk up that riffing like Napalm Death, or let's hear it like Heart sounded in the 70's..." I need one small (12"x20") rig that I can get many different tones out of. It started out with the reject pedals bumped off main board. I recently traveled to Florida for a week where I played every night, but did not want to lug around the big board. Anyway, those guitarists who are bewildered about tap dancing on 10 pedals can rest easy tonight. Versatility in a more compact setup is what I'm after here.

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Have you seen a doctor?

5. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I can cover all my needs with 6 (the pedals on my small board are in parentheses):

- Wah (535Q Crybaby)
    - Compressor (Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone).
    - OD (WHE Green Rhino).
    - Distortion (Bogner Ecstasy Red)
    - Line 6 M5 (it has a tuner, plus it handles all your modulation needs)
    - A good delay (Boss DD20)

Keep in mind that, like my handle suggests, I'm a Strat guy. YMMV.

6. wahscoot

wahscoot Tele-Meister

Is that a 52 Hot Rod in your avatar?

Cheers!

7. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Make one of your pedals a Zoom MS50G- a toolbox in a pedal..got lots of handy FX in there.

8. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I've been testing out various dirt boxes, but I've not yet settled on the winners. Anyway, here's how this pedalboard project is going. I'll take some photos when complete. I built the pedalboard out if wood painted black hammered metal & added rubber feet. Underneath is a Furman noise canceling power strip/suppressor. Caline power supply powers up the pedals. Planet Waves patch cables. So far, the lineup is:

ENO PT-21 tuner
    Dean Markley Overlord Tube OD
    Biyang Mad Driver (TS 808)
    Joyo Deluxe Crunch
    ENO Myomorpha (RAT Clone)
    DOD Death Metal Distortion
    EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress
    Arion Chorus SCH-Z
    Visual Sound Garage Tone Delay
    Biyang Tri-Reverb

9. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

10. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Dude...that's a country music pedalboard...not versatile enough

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Game Over.
    You WIN!!!

12. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

So...it's finally ready...I just finished wiring up my pedalboard. I even found a black, soft zipper bag/case for $5 at a warehouse store that it fits in. Black 14" zip ties hold everything in place. Planet Waves patch cables were used, along with a Furman Power Strip with noise reduction & 10+ ft. cord, and Caline unit which powers 10 boxes. The signal chain goes: ENO Tuner, ENO Myomorpha (RAT CLONE), Biyang Mad Driver (TS-808), Joyo Deluxe Crunch, Dean Markley Overlord Tube OD w/NOS RCA 12AX7, DOD Death Metal Distortion, EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress, Arion Chorus, Visual Sound Garage Tone Delay & Biyang Tri-Reverb.
    I was on music row in Nashville last night, which inspired tonight's Pedalboard wiring & completion.
    The goal is a versatile board for various situations on the go...smaller than my big pedalboard.

13. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Pic's?

14. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Forgot to upload pics. Whoops! ImageUploadedByTDPRI1438471324.168448.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1438471340.014384.jpg

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Eight pedals plus reverb plus tuner is not small!

I'd hate to see the big one.

16. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

smallER...I don't think I ever said "small" Lol. It gives me a wide array of sounds to handle many genres of music & different situations. It also needs to work with 3-4 different amp heads (2 without reverb). A home was needed for several of these pedals that are not on my other board.

You'd love to see & play the BIG Pedalboard, you just would not want to carry it. I actually need to pull that one apart to rewire "neatly" since it's a wiring mess with looper/switchers & tap delays, etc. having this smaller versatile board allows me to take my time & rewire it professionally without being rushed. So, It's a blessing to my new board operational. I'll be using it tomorrow!!

17. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

I have 3 pedal boards, small, medium and large. Small is 3 pedals, medium is 4, large is 5 plus a tuner. I've been using medium a lot lately, tube screamer, Suhr jackrabbit Trem, Catalinbread Belle Epoch, MXR phase 90.......... Pretty versatile for me..........

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

8 pedals are what I have on my big board.

1) Korg Pitchblack
    The rest are all Catalinbread
    2) Octopussy
    3) Karma Suture
    4) SFT
    5) Callisto
    6) Echorec
    7) Belle Epoch
    8) Topanga

19. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

That is a Sweet Rig! What kind of Tubescreamer?

20. badkins

badkins Tele-Meister

Wow, that's a lot of Catalinbread pedals! I just got a Topanga a few days ago and played my first gig with it this morning at church - nice pedal.

Were you really impressed with your first Catalinbread pedal and then just kept getting more? I think the most I have from a single vendor is 3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.