1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Building a 14" wheel buffer.....for way way under $700

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Muzikp, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I made do with a buffer wheel on my drill press for a long time, although my drill press head rotates 90 degrees so I could get the buffs oriented the same as a buffer would which helped.

I found this old picture of my previous setup.

[​IMG]

But remember this shell pink body I painted for Rob? Polished up real nice...

[​IMG]

But I burned through the finish in one little tiny spot. I felt like I couldn't get the right buff speed on the drill press. Speed has a lot to do with how much heat you build up in the buff, too much heat in the buff is very very bad.

The drill press setup did not have enough room to work though, too easy to bang the body on the drill press due to limited space. This is so much better than the drill press setup, totally worth it.

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Motors from washers and driers are easily scrounged.

3. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Just can't help myself. It's for metal and not for wood but I get a kick out of the huge old motor that puts out a whopping 3/4 hp (that's .56 kW in foreign devil measurements ;) ). That's an 8" wheel to give you an idea how big this is.

Got it as is from the basement of an old girlfriend. There was an old guy there who used it repairing vacuum cleaners. It works fine, especially for how often I use it.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.