Builders Stamps?

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Does anyone recognise these Builder Name stamps?
The pots are date code 70 -*****
Serial Number plate 3077** is correct for late 1970, or early 71
Arm is original, not sanded at the pocket back end, or under under the heal, but I can only recognise the B under the unsanded Poly
I haven't seen these neck shims that are the--edit same similar profile shape as the neck piclup

P1230177.JPG
P1170003.JPG
P1190475.JPG
P1230137.JPG

Last edited:

slack

Friend of Leo's
I downloaded and played with your pic. Your neck is stamped 71. I can't make out the month definitively. You might could with a black light or other trickery. Typically, the stamp dates to 3+ months before shaping, etc.

Chambers is a very common stamp in 71 (and 72, and 73...). Pena, too.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the help slack .....I don't have any black/fluros' etc, but that is very interesting ......did you save the image where you determined [saw] the date?....

Have you seen those shims before?......the red is 0.020", and the black 0.010"......the material isn't plastic, but similar to a sheet of fiberboard, I suppose popular for electrical insulation 50 years ago?

Reading about Leo's shrewd economics, the shims could have been offcuts from another process with Fender amplifiers ??
P1230287.JPG

Last edited:

slack

Friend of Leo's
No, I didn't save the manipulated pic. It didn't take much to discern the "71" though. It's not obvious, but it's obviously that and not 70 or 72, if that makes sense. (It can only be a "7" and a "1.")

I forgot to comment on the shims.... As msalama said, standard Fender shims for the era.

If you want to get more invasive, there is probably a date code stamp on the bottom of the bridge pup, under the plate (but also possibly under masking tape). I use an ophthalmoscope to read them.

If the body and neck are original to each other, it's 71 or 72. Is it possibly 70? Eh... (I would love to see evidence/examples of 1970 Fender guitars with those names stamped in the neck pocket.)

Looks like the wood broke off on the treble side, between the neck pocket and neck pup rout, right? I've seen that a lot on 70 and 71 Teles for some reason (or at least cracked). I attribute it to tilting the neck back during removal, but have no explanation for why I've seen it on so many Teles from these years and not others.

And isn't that tone pot stamped 137-664x? That would be a CTS pot from 1966.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Double checked each pot body, they are dual coded as follows [the 5 & 4 are not a typo]

Volume .137 665 0, and also 70-2125-0240
Tone .....137 664 0, and also 70-2125-0240

I had only recorded the 70 prefix series being the JIT purchasing for the approx. year of manufacture of the items which ~~ corresponds to the ~~ year of manufacture of the instrument etc

I am beginning to think this guitar was manufactured on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend

There are no tags or stickers under either pickup?, or in the body cavity?

Yes, that small block of wood [from the top E side] was found floating in the neck pickup cavity 40 something years ago.......so I took this opportunity & re-glued it back in.......I can only speculate the break occurred as you mention .......thanks for your comments
P1230294.JPG
P1230289.JPG

Last edited: