Builders: from where do you source your cases?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by FlyGuy10, Jun 8, 2015.

1. FlyGuy10

FlyGuy10 TDPRI Member

Always alot about building on here, but my question pertains to after the build.

How do you ship your built guitars? In cases? In gig bags? Why? Do you have a dealer relationship with a certain company or companies? Where do you get your cases/gig bags from?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Ebay and Musicians friends. Usually I get cases when I buy guitars and they get swapped out here and there.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I just hang mine on the wall. I have a nice gig bag that I put 'em in when I go to play out.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Discounts at GFS sometimes as well as the Regular priced ones they sell. Decent quality in the tweed knock offs they sell.

5. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6. FlyGuy10

FlyGuy10 TDPRI Member

7. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol:

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Mine always end up being an odd shape for a standard case due to neck angle and body shape. I just use gig bags and buy them in groups on eBay cheap.

Thanks for the case build link, I need to find a good way to make cases cheap.

9. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I became a dealer for Gator Cases. They sell most of the standard electric cases in lots of 4, so I sometimes wind up with 3 extra cases that I don't necessarily need right now, but they don't go bad...

10. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I ran across this on YouTube a while back... The guitar is ugly as sin... but I like the case!

Part One:

Part Two:

I haven't built one of these... I usually just buy inexpensive cases from Guitar Center or eBay. I've looked at Rondo, too:

http://www.rondomusic.com/casesbags.html

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It's relatively easy to develop a dealer relationship with the case manufacturers, TKL, Gator, G&G, all of them are happy to work with ya..

Ron Kirn

12. FlyGuy10

FlyGuy10 TDPRI Member

For those of you who are recommending dealer relationships with a manufacturer: how easy is it to acquire that status? I am just starting out with making guitars and don't have a legitimate business yet but i will likely have 3 or 4 guitars that I will be selling or giving away within the month. What hoops would I need to jump through?

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Pick a case manufacturer... call them... some will require a minimum number of units on your first order, some, perhaps not.. but.. the case manufacturers know their protocol far better then we do...

You can also contact KMC, and get setup with them, not only cases but a broad litany of other stuff will be available too.

Ron Kirn

14. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You need to set up a legitimate business before any vendor will sell direct to you or give you wholesale prices.

Set up a DBA, apply for a federal tax ID and state sales tax collection authority. Easy, cheap, doesn't take long.

Read your state sales tax rules carefully. I was given bad advice about what I was supposed to be collecting. Fortunately I figured it out before I got in trouble.

15. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

+1 on Gator Cases. Their ATA cases with the TSA latches are some of the best that we've come across for traveling and their standard molded plastic cases are a great value.

Need to have a federal tax ID number to become a dealer though...and even then, you need to order in volume to drive the per unit cost down.

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I build my own cases. It's actually fun, and it gives me a break from the more tedious woodworking at hand. I line the inside with cork or carpet, depending on the guitar. The outside can be stained or painted or covered with some type of material. I paint mine, and here is where the creativity comes into play. This book explains how to build a simple case:It's easy to Build Your Own Lap Steel Guitar: Martin Koch: 9783901314094: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BNJAHNV8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41BNJAHNV8L

17. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Rondo

Sign up for Rondo's newsletter. I purchased two cases that were seconds...I did not see anything wrong with them when they arrived...the price $25 each. Not bags but cases. Not like a $150 fender but great for my use.
    Wade

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.