1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Build Underway

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jbardt, Nov 19, 2020.

1. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

I decided I wanted to build a Double Bender Tele with the look and sound of a 50s Blackguard. After researching Bender mechanisms, I decided I wanted to design my own with the intent of hiding everything (except the levers and set screws which can’t really be hidden) in the body, and also not have to modify the bridge. So face on, it looks like a classic Tele.

I started with some CAD work to model out a plan for the Bender mechanism. Then got a body routing template and a nice piece of Ash (they don’t designate their Ash, I couldn’t specifically get Swamp Ash) from the planing mill that was big enough to let me do 6 1 piece bodies.

8F72E3B3-F6E9-48B7-A3B8-8CA1B30E670A.jpeg

2D27027E-76E0-4CF8-905F-984C8F2D2E6F.jpeg

I just rough cut them tonight, then will finish route them Saturday morning.

1E6E072C-6368-4426-9E3B-3B16F8F997EA.jpeg 2361B239-229C-4E36-AE07-69A652A96E2F.jpeg

I’ve been ordering components in preparation like Custom wound ‘52 Tele pickups from a local fella, nickel bridge with 3 brass saddles, nickel neck & control plate, Bakelite PickGuard, and some pots, wires, and caps. Trying to do as much Made in USA stuff as I can, as well as vintage style stuff.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Whooo that looks like nice wood. Keep us posted!

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Great start!

Subscribed.

jbardt and crazydave911 like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmmm, a challenge. I like it :)

jbardt likes this.
  5. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

I need about 4-5 people to like the wood enough to take the finished bodies off my hands so I can recoup some funds ;)

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

put ‘em up in the classifieds and folks will buy ‘em.

7. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Yeah, I think that’ll be my plan after the final routing.

Peegoo, El Tele Lobo and crazydave911 like this.
  8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

My back hurts just looking at them, but I love the look of ash. Nice score!

9. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Did the flush routing around the bodies this morning. Went fairly well besides 2 mishaps of having the bit grab and getting some tear out I’ll have to fill and just use for painted bodies.

also, the one I am holding had a split in the wood, as you can see, but I like the look honestly, so I am gonna fill the crack with epoxy and use it for this build. I like the character.
    A3BF386C-B4C6-4E0B-A7C4-D50BB020FEDF.jpeg
    D475C012-A241-4170-9901-1C1F9873BA0B.jpeg

10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That is some fine looking lumber you have there.

krrtlr1, jbardt and crazydave911 like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Delete. Supposed to go on another thread.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Nice stash of wood dude. Shame about that split. Is that gonna be ok right at the back of the neck join?

jbardt likes this.
  13. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Thanks. I think/hope it’ll be okay. The cracks aren’t all the way through. I syringed some pretty tough epoxy in cracks to try to fill and seal them.

I decided against using the cracked one for my bender project since I’ll be remove more good wood in the neck pocket area. But I’m gonna save the split one for my next planned build, which will be an Esquire.

14. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Update: Hardly have gotten anything done with the holiday and rifle season in. I did some sanding on the stuff I filled. That went fine.

I drilled out the neck holes on the bodies. Then was planning to drill the string through holes the remaining distance (they were drilled about halfway after routing, but needed a longer bit to finish) and the bridge holes.

Well, turns out the drill press I have at the house doesn’t allow me to get the body in far enough to drill the string through holes (I started the holes with the drill press at my buddies who had the flush trim router setup). So I had to order a small size drill guide block.

That came in and my first go with it was problematic because it was smaller than expected and I didn’t have clamps that were deep enough to clamp it to the body. So I tried handling it as tight as I could, but it rocked on me and caused the bit to drift and a hole went out of line.
    8406E27C-9FA0-49D8-8D9C-71532694155C.jpeg

After being pissy about that, I found a drill press vise and clamped the guide block in there and made my second attempt on another body I am keeping for an Esquire. This way went fine. The holes may look a little rough in the picture cause I didn’t bother cleaning them up before taking the picture.

53237085-C355-45E1-9646-CA11E36F13BF.jpeg

4F81E328-05D0-4DC7-86B5-6362D0CD837E.jpeg

So last night I was trying to decide what I wanted to do about the holes that ran out on me. Originally I wasn’t that worried cause they are hidden by the bridge. But I figured “why not try to fix it, that way I have the ability in my tool kit”. So I looked at it for a bit and decided I would drill out the hole about half depth from the bad side using a slightly larger drill bit. Then backfill the hole with wood filler (I only had time for the first fill, and so the picture is only half filled) and then I’ll sand the face flush, remark and re-drill from the filled side and get the holes straight that way.

1437F029-63EB-4DE8-B6A4-7A3182C8B94F.jpeg

krrtlr1 and crazydave911 like this.
  15. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Fixed the holes I eff’d up :confused:
    3AF74D1E-36A7-4B4D-B372-ECAE292B6F08.jpeg

crazydave911 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Question: I have a set of Fender 0994918000 String Ferrules. From my understanding, I should do a 5/16” hole with around a 3/8” counterbore.

Those measurements don’t really match up with what I measured on the ferrules. Anybody use these ferrules (or other vintage flanges ferrules) and have any insight on the sizes?

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Well, it’s been a minute since an update because, quite frankly, there has been nothing to update on. Had various of priorities between the holidays and other things.

I also ran into the issue with my drill press not being big enough to drill holes in the body. I worked around it on a few bodies using a drill guide, but wasn’t confident enough to do the 3 nicest bodies that way. Not too mention the next step on the 3 I drilled is to counterbore for the string ferrules, and I am not confident I can concentrically drill the counter bores with the existing holes without a press.

So I had planned on using a drill press at my grandfathers, but I haven’t had the time to take the bodies there and go through the setup and drilling. I hunted around for a little bit for a bigger press for at home, but eventually decided that I’ll just modify mine.

So I took it apart and cut the post at the black line on the picture below:

[​IMG]

Then took it to work and cut some 1” angle iron 4” long and with some welds, was able to offset the post 2”. I just finished up making up a larger work piece table:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I should be ready to rock now!

Due to my busy schedule (and the busy schedule of my friend who just got a CNC that we will use for make the Bender pieces) and my impatience, my plan is pivoting temporarily to getting the one body done so that I can build it when the neck comes in (hopefully soon). Then when schedules allow, I will make the Double Bender mods to it, or to another body.

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

19. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I love how you modded that drill press. I did something similar with my benchtop model, but yours is much more practical than mine.

20. jbardt

jbardt TDPRI Member

Made a alignment block similar to the below pic (changed it for actual use) using an 1/8” piece of rod and some glue.

F6F62193-B9A2-41FD-87C0-C770A515CB8B.jpeg
    0C54342F-5AE1-4188-8F59-8FA9FA07E3CA.jpeg

Did some string ferrule drilling last night. 3/8” x 0.059” Deep with a Forstner bit first, then 5/16” x 5/16” Deep with a 5/16” Straight bit.

Turned out pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.