1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Build testing

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Nov 8, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Anyone ever subject one of their builds to some sort of “stress test” do determine the reliability of their creation?

Recently watched a video of EVH talking about the process when developing one of his signature amps where he set the amp up in an isolation booth, plugged in a guitar, cranked the amp, and then just let it feed back for a month.

The above seems a bit extreme but I was thinking about setting up a looper on the input and a dummy load on the output and letting it run for 4-6 hours to see how the transformers hold up temp-wise.

Kevin Wolfe, That Cal Webway and sds1 like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Whenever I service an amp I always let it run for at least two hours just to make sure things are good. That lets everything get good and hot, so if it's gonna fail, hopefully it does on the bench and not when the customer gets it back.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  3. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great subject!

I never want to build and then sell an amp that is not ready for the real world.

interested in how other guys do it...

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  4. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good idea. Ima start doing that.

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - I have the "work" bench and the "burn in bench." It could also be the "I have some free time and want to rock out" bench if I feel like doing that instead :D

6. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

A soak test for 24 hours seems like a reasonable amount of time. Everything dimed on a load box with test signal on input. This burns in the tubes nicely as well, allowing you to readjust bias after as necessary. Seems like it is always necessary.

Periodically check temps with an IR style thermometer.

Some guys hit their builds with a rubber mallet or similar during the soak test, with a scorching hot amp and oscilloscope on the speaker jack it should be possible to actually get a visual on defects as you bang away on the chassis.

There's vibration tables too...

James Knox and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I've heard some quotes of things Van Halen said about amps and such that made it seem like he may have been one of those people who had a little bit of fun giving creative answers during interviews...

8. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

An isolation box and a looper and you could break in the speaker at the same time.

James Knox and Nickfl like this.
  9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I have not devised a *stress test*. I just tell the end user to give a call or bring it back if there is any trouble.

James Knox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.