Build suggestions - Inputs and opinions welcome!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by drssyoon, May 16, 2020.

1. drssyoon

drssyoon TDPRI Member

In a moment of weakness, I purchased a solid rosewood thinline body and neck. Not sure what I was thinking.

Now that I have them, I would love to hear some suggestions on how to make this look cool and sound good. Any hardware, electronic, pickup suggestions? I don't have a particular tone in mind.

Babicz bridge came with the body. I am not attached to it...:D

Gold or chrome hardware?

IMG-2365.jpg IMG-2372.jpg IMG-2371.jpg IMG-2373.jpg IMG-2369.jpg IMG-2370.jpg

Ricky D., Duggo and 24 track like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gorgeous! I suggest chrome hardware for that.

What kind of music will you be playing on it? I’ll bet it would be great for jazz. Looks like the routs are for humbuckers, but you could drop some TV Jones bucker-size p90 or filtertrons in there. Have fun and keep us posted. Subbed.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, the string ferrules sort of dictate the hardware color unless you want to pull them....and I might not want to do that because they appear to be cleanly installed. If they would come out easily, I vote for gold hardware. Push/pull pots for series/parallel options, a treble pot and a bass pot, and a phase switch for the middle position...another push/pull. Lots of variety. Nice looking body and neck.

oh...and that is a Paulcaster???? Lol.....

4. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Chrome Hipshot bridge and Hipshot open tuners
    Suhr Thornbucker HB's
    50's wiring

5. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very nice set up. I’m undecided on hardware choice. Both chrome or gold would look nice, although leaning towards gold.

6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Homer[1].jpeg oh, yeah. What a lovely thinline body/neck match.
    If you choose gold, go soft/satin finished gold; rather than a garish, glossy/shiny gold, if you know what I mean. Same, if you go w/ a white metal - chrome/nickel - go satin?
    This looks like a wonderful project.
    Peace - Deeve

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I vote for P90s, and a flat Strat hardtail bridge. Are the holes too big for Kluson-style tuners? 'Cause I'd use them. Do they make adapter bushings?

8. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great looking guitar!

Babicsz makes some top notch hardware, and not inexpensive either. Great guys who are builders here right in usa. The height adjustment on their bridges is outstanding.

Eric

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that would look outstanding with all black harware and only gold screws , it would make the wood grain pop!

beautiful body ......I'ld marry it if it were southpaw!

Peltogyne likes this.
  10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

black hardware, G&L PTB tone circuit. master volume for every pickup
    ore in normal setting no load tonepots
    don' t know what music you want to play but some black Wild Bill Lawrence L90
    blade pickups with series/parallel options.[​IMG]
    https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l-90

but the Bootstrap would look cool to
    [​IMG]

https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-skookum-90-clean-for-humbucker

there is a new 6 way freeway switch you could use

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/free-way-pickup-switch.html

11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Without getting too esoteric lol... the spirit of that guitar is a Gibsony Fender. Telecaster body with Gibson wiring and pickups. To me that implies a P90 vrs PAF decision regarding electronics. I guess I'd go humbucker but that is a personal preference.

Spertzel has some tuning machines that might look cool on that guitar.

I like the look of that particular Babicz bridge more than some. It reminds me a bit of those G&L saddle lock bridges. Is it chrome?

Let me preface this by saying my color acuity ain't great. However, I'm with Wally on matching to the ferrules. Rosewood doesn't look bad with gold hardware but I still like the silver look better in this case. Since that stripe through the body is a warm color and those ferrules look a little more nickle to me, I'd probably go with a warmer, yet silver color (nickel) for the hardware. Chrome is a bluer/colder color. It would still look good on that guitar and I usually default to chrome. Might have a chance to try nickel here though.

What color pickguard ya thinking?

RiversQC likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That maple laminate in the sides of the body makes me see gold hardware. Re: pickups.....whatever you choose I would suggest adjustable polepieces. Balanced string output is very important, ime and imho. I also do not think a pick guard is necessary on this one.

24 track likes this.
  13. jhiatt1

jhiatt1 TDPRI Member

Here is what I did to my tele kit and a list of mods.

Fender roller nut
    Wilkinson 3 saddle compensated bridge with brass saddles
    Tuning machines from a Fender Starcaster
    Fender American Standard 3 way switch
    Fender American Standard jack
    Fender vintage 1meg tone pot
    Fender vintage 1meg volume pot
    DiMarzio True Velvet bridge pickup
    GFS vintage 52 neck pickup
    All cavaties are shielded with copper tape
    Vintage wax coated push back wiring
    Hand wired in the vintage 53 telecaster style
    Treble bleed circuit
    Fender Greasebucket circuit from a Highway 1 Telecaster
    String trees are in non conventional locations
    And finally, I aged and distressed everything by hand.
    It is my first build and I decided to go all out. All together it cost me about $325 for kit and all materials.

Attached Files:

14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I don't have strong feelings about hardware - get whatever your budget and your tastes dictate. You are routed for two humbuckers and les paul style 2V2T controls. Again, lots of choices for pups but I have found the StewMac Golden Age 'buckers to be a really nice compromise. They are pretty affordable, have a good vintage PAF sound - I have used them in several guitars and people seem to like them a lot.

I've never used rosewood for an electric but I have built quite a few acoustics with it. It finishes very well but will need pore filling. If you've read any of my build threads you will know that I like finishing resin for pore fill - I think that body will really come alive with finish,

Wally and fenderchamp like this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Chrome....you already have a nice chrome bridge with it.

16. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first thing I thought about was to put a regular tele bridge on it and a pickguard on it and try to disguise it as a harrisonesque thing, but you won't be able to do that very easily.

it's a thinline rear routed like a tele deluxe, it's kind of neither fish nor flesh...

still it is solid rosewood and that makes it a bit intriguing...

if that was mine, I'd deck it out with some chrome openback hipshot tuners

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/grip-lock-open-guitar-tuning-machines

to match the chrome babicz bridge. I personally think babicz hardware is kind of ugly, but I understand it sounds great, and the hardtail on your tele body is pretty conservative for a babicz, so I'd keep that bridge and try it out for a while at least. I wouldn't keep the stock hipshot knobs though, they are kind of dopey looking, I'd get some sweet custom tuner knobs of my choice. I like the fancy victorian with the fancy rosewood. I might even consider pearl.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collect...ucts/guitar-tuner-buttons?variant=43355485320

I've heard that rosewood guitars are rather dark, so I'd probably get some lower wind PAF things, maybe some t-tops, unless I wanted to route it out for WRHB, which is what I would do for sure...but i'm guessing you know what kind of pickups you like.

I'd probably get double black w/o covers if I kept trad-buckers in it. and I'd put a black knob on the 3 way switch.

I think for some reason some black witch hat knobs as a nod to the tele-deluxe heritage of the 4 knobs on a tele would be sweet.

Other than that, as it is kind of dull and, blah looking i would urge you to finish it in full gloss with grain filler so that it really kind of pops. ask @Freeman Keller for some pics of his full gloss over epoxy, beautiful rosewood acoustics for inspiration

If I did full gloss, I might consider nickle pickup covers, but probably not.

though, it might make it a little less generic if you actually took the extra step of routing it a little bit and putting WRHB's in it. If it was mine that would have to happen...

So I'm saying, chrome, cool fancy modern tuners, to go match the bridge, full gloss, chrome WRHB (with fender log covers) and black/chrome witch-hats...

Let it be the fender it really needs to be.

17. fenderchamp

oh and I would jettison that funny looking black "Fender" custom made back plate and bronze neck screws too.

Get a nice extra fat chrome plate and screws. or something that would match up with the babicz.

they don't seem to make any other hardware other than bridges so...

Another option of course would be to go with a traditional chrome stamped saddle fender bridge, F-tuners and an F neckplate....

Pity it's not a three bolt/bullet neck. that would be kind of cool.

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Looking at the picture again, if it was mine here is what I would do.

Chrome tele style bridge - the ferrules don't give you any options. I would probably use a Gotoh since I wouldn't be trying for a vintage look

Chrome tuners - Gotoh, Grover....

Chrome neck plate. Its not a fender, get rid of that one. Black plastic covers for the cavities - they look to be LP size or make your own.

As I said before, I like the SM humbuckers for a good generic PAF sound. You have several options, of course there are lots of pickups. I would get chrome covers and use ebony rings from LMII

To go with the ebony rings I would use simple ebony knobs on the pots. The StewMac LP wiring kit will give you everything you need. Chrome jack plate or socket.

For finish I would mask the f/b, give it my usual three coats of Zpoxy and a couple dozen of nitro. Buff, assemble and enjoy.

19. drssyoon

drssyoon TDPRI Member

Wow, so many great ideas and suggestions... Thanks!

Not sure where to start.

20. fenderchamp

I noticed that neck plate is a little big for the guitar...

Is that body kind of off spec or is it the plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.