Build suggestions for my pile of parts?

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Ok, I was digging through my miscellaneous pile of guitar stuff and found the tranny’s, pcb, chokes and filter caps from a Marshall 50 watt plexi reissue that I had converted to a hand-wired.
Looking for suggestions on a project to use them on. It would need to be a simple circuit for me to build it but I am not opposed to having someone else build me something cool.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Thanks
Mitch

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
If I could make a wish and have what I wanted it would be the high gain channel from a Carr Slant 6V. I owned one once then fell on hard times and had to part with it in order to pay bills. It had a beautiful tone, and still had great string definition.
I guess my first question would be what do you already have and not have, amp-wise?

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the heads up Printer! That’s probably beyond my skill level, to build from scratch. I was basically using the Slant as a tone reference. I want something that will get some grind going but doesn’t smear out on chords. I want to use 6V6 power tubes out of personal preference for their tone and because I have a bunch of them. If memory serves EL34 iron will work with 6V6’s?
I guess I need to give you guys a little background. I do most of my own amp maintenance, i.e. rebiasing, change out filter caps or a bad transformer. I have built a few stompbox kits and a tweed Princeton clone kit which turned out okay. Those types of builds are basically a prepackaged affair so I didn’t need to do any parts scrounging or figure what would work and what would not. I have good soldering skills and know what the symbols mean on a schematic but can’t translate a schematic into a layout. Perhaps a ceriatone kit of some sort?
Schematic here. Doing the Marshal channel should be doable with what you have.

mountainhick

Tele-Meister
I want to use 6V6 power tubes out of personal preference for their tone and because I have a bunch of them. If memory serves EL34 iron will work with 6V6’s?

What are the input/output impedances of the output Transformer?

In general, push pull 6V6 likes 6.6-8K, EL34 3.4K primary impedance.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
What are the input/output impedances of the output Transformer?

In general, push pull 6V6 likes 6.6-8K, EL34 3.4K primary impedance.
But the amp uses a quad of 6V6's so it would work out.

Thanks for the heads up Printer! That’s probably beyond my skill level, to build from scratch. I was basically using the Slant as a tone reference. I want something that will get some grind going but doesn’t smear out on chords. I want to use 6V6 power tubes out of personal preference for their tone and because I have a bunch of them. If memory serves EL34 iron will work with 6V6’s?
I guess I need to give you guys a little background. I do most of my own amp maintenance, i.e. rebiasing, change out filter caps or a bad transformer. I have built a few stompbox kits and a tweed Princeton clone kit which turned out okay. Those types of builds are basically a prepackaged affair so I didn’t need to do any parts scrounging or figure what would work and what would not. I have good soldering skills and know what the symbols mean on a schematic but can’t translate a schematic into a layout. Perhaps a ceriatone kit of some sort?
"tranny’s, pcb, chokes and filter caps"

You already have the guts of the amp. You can replace the few part values to match the Carr. You will need a chassis and assorted bits like the tube sockets, no idea if you used the pots of the previous amp. The 6V6 pinout is the same as a EL34 from what I remember. You have the expensive stuff, the transformers, you have options.

JCM800_2203Ceriatone-23-Aug.jpg

Might be a good idea to

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
Yeah I guess I was ambiguous, a quad of 6V6 in place of a pair of EL 34’s is my intention. Somewhere amongst my misc.parts I should also have a bf/sf chassis which should have more than enough holes for everything although the tans cutouts might not be right, time to start digging again!