Build Squier or buy MIM

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gnatz, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

As said above, the neck feel is the important factor and to start there.

The Squiers tend to have a sharp edge at the fretboard that rounds to a thin neck profile. I have a Standard Tele with that (think Strat profile) and an older Affinity Tele with a more baseball bat type of neck (that doesn't start to curve until after the thickness of the fretboard) which I think is more rare. I took a file to my Strat fretboard edges to give them that worn-in feel, I might do that with the Standard Tele.

If you're going to make a project of it anyway, buy a used Squier Tele and mod it up. Expect any used (and some new) instruments will need a fret level and polish so that is a good investment of time or cash.

My first Telecaster was this little $10 damaged project that I use for a travel guitar (~23inch scale almost a Mustang/Jaguar size). Google search "Hannah Montana electric guitar" and you'll see what Disney sold for a couple of years (Oh the Purple! That took some time to take off). Made by Samick for Washburn for Disney. Actually impressive full size and tone pickups (youtube has some videos).

Attached Files:

2. Gnatz

Gnatz NEW MEMBER!

I do like modding the squire, and I also want a solid platform to work from...

From the sounds of it, a MIM seems like the better option for me. I might try and Craigslist off a few items for the MIM and also keep the squier as it's my first ever tele... Also so I can eventually mod the snot out of it. I'm trying to attach a photo of the first major mod I ever performed on it. I refinished the squier from red to green and thought it turned out pretty good.

Attached Files:

3. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The MIM Squiers were only made for a short time. This does not make them "collectible" but reveals a short window for an affordable guitar as good or perhaps better than the following Fender "Standards."

I (sadly) sold my late-90's Squier, though ultimately turned that money into a good Guild acoustic, which is where I was going musically. But that Squier was a good guitar; the tuners and the bridge saddles could be questioned, but they never gave me any trouble. The printed-circuit-board pickup switch was not a CRL, but never was a problem. The p/u's were just fine, and although I changed them out, probably did not gain any benefit...when she sold she had her original p/u's in place and a set of really good Lace Sensor tele p/u's in the case pocket.

4. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

I have had my share of Squiers that I have upgraded with various parts including pickups and bridges but if you're going to transplant the neck and other major organs into your Squier, you might as well get a new tele.

5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I'd just keep what you have and use it. If, at some point, you happen to come across another that you like much better, then consider buying that one. As for "upgrades", you can stumble on a lucky improvement once in a while, but it's never guaranteed. My main studio bass is a stock Squier, which will always remain original as there is no reason to mess with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.