Build Progress! Wiring (not) fun :-/

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Likeabrave, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Likeabrave

Likeabrave TDPRI Member

Shielded everything with copper tape and continuity checked out. Pickups are mounted and threaded through to the control cavity. So far so good!

The electronics were pulled from a Vintera Modified 50's telecaster, which is supposes to have the same wiring scheme as a Classic Play Baja. Fender's diagram for the CPB show a black, yellow and green wire from the neck pickup. I have a black, yellow, and WHITE wire.

I would have assumed the white is the new green except the clipped end of a white wire is on the s1 switch lug where the diagram suggests the yellow wire should connect, the and the clipped end of the yellow wire is running to ground on the tone pot!

I'm going to go with my gut and solder the pickup based on the wire color remnants unless anyone has a reason to talk me out of it:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Two of the wires should be the ends of the coil winding, therefore should have continuity of course with your coil resistance. One should be the cover ground, no continuity with the other two.

To get the polarity you want, connect your VOM to the coil wires of one pickup. Set the VOM for its lowest D.C. Voltage scale. Hold a screwdriver next to the pole pieces, then move it away while watching the meter. You will see a brief positive or negative reading. Repeat with the other pickup.
    Both positive or both negative = in phase.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    garrett and Likeabrave like this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

There are 2 versions of the Twisted Tele neck pickup. The Baja and the 2012 Am Std/Twisted Tele retail sets.
    It's a good bet that the Vintera Mod wire colors are now the same as the retail sets. Unfortunately Fender haven't released the Vintera service diagrams.

The Baja version is Green - cover ground, yellow - coil hot, black - coil ground.
    Am Std, Retail Set, (Vintera Mod?) Yellow - cover ground, white - coil hot, black - coil ground

Baja Twisted Tele Neck
    Fender_Twisted_Tele_neck_'Baja'_bttm.jpg

Normal Twisted Tele Neck (Fender recently have started to solder the cover grounds like this).

Fender_Twisted_Tele_neck_mod.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Likeabrave likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

In addition to the good advice above, use your meter to test continuity across the metal pickup cover and the ends of the three leads to establish which one is the shield ground. Do this with the leads disconnected from the circuit.

Likeabrave and Ricky D. like this.
  5. Likeabrave

Likeabrave TDPRI Member

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know.

6. Likeabrave

Likeabrave TDPRI Member

Thanks. Confirmed yellow is ground!

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.