Build Muscle, Lose Weight?

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
I'd be interested in seeing a source for this claim because I've never seen an actual expert reverse themselves on eggs. Most Americans get MORE protein than they need, so pushing the need for meat, cheese, eggs to get your protein is just the more brainwashing of the uninformed. As far as an efficient source of protein, you can get more bang for your buck in a can of beans - more fiber, less fat, more filling and less expensive.

From the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - Eggs are also loaded with cholesterol—about 200 milligrams for an average-sized egg. That's more than double the amount in a Big Mac. Fat and cholesterol contribute to heart disease. A 2021 study found that the addition of half an egg per day was associated with more deaths from heart disease, cancer, and all causes.
Eggs are also labeled a Carcinogen.

You are definitely the smartest person on TDPRI and what you write is correct as well.

OP can go vegan or else. The end.

I work in the Pharmaceutical industry, so sadly, perhaps, the industry wants this.
Though we only make life saving drugs atm, the industy as a whole exists becase of meat eaters. Meat and Dairy.

Again not to overcomplicate.

Go Vegan, or see the people around you succumb to weight and disease as you do too.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
I'm not giving up my eggs. But I do eat the best I can find. Pete and Gerry's.

Red meat ? I stopped eating it before I saw this video. But worth a listen..

(May have to rewind it to the beginning)

faulp

TDPRI Member
Well you have two choices.

Go Vegan, have drastic improvement in your life and never think about weight again, think about disease MUCH MUCH less than you ever have, and feel better than you ever have since young.

Or, continue on the way you have been and get much much worse, using medication which will only make it worse.

By the way protein comes from plants. Look at a gorilla. Dont listen to the American "food pyramid" or watch a documentary Food Inc and learn how "McDonalds" shaped what Americans eat way back in the 50's, by controlling what foods get mass produced by farmers. Unfortunately most obese, diseased, cancered, and diabetic americans still adhere to this diet. While I love the fifties, and forties, and old eras, this is one area that is an abomination.

Again the choice is simple and its yours.

Beans, rice, vegetables, potatoes, fruit. Nuts.

If you need cheese for some ungodly reason, get vegan cheese, vegan sausage. They have it all at Walmart. Shouldnt be neccesary since its porcessed food but its WORLDS BETTER than the pus infused milk and cancer/pus/disease infested meat for abused, tortured, and murdered beings. Remember, every pandemic has come from... eating animals. Swine flu, mad cow, etc etc etc.

Anyway, choice is yours. Its simple.

Im vegan, I never think about weight. Unless I go to Chipotle and get a massive black bean, pinto bean, white rice, brown rice, fajita, sofrita, gucamole, hot sauce, tomato, green sauce, lettuce, etc etc burrito.

What more do you need in life?

Your health.

Thats how you get it. So cheap to buy organic fruits/vegetables/beans at Walmart, compared to processed foods...

Would've never guessed.

Gorillas spend most of their day eating and usually consume around 20kg of food each day. Something worth mentioning.

Sounds Good

Tele-Afflicted
I am 71 nearly and i still train and about 215 pounds at 5.8 tall. I do high reps now and free standing squats even, and just eat good foods. I think the heavy lifting concept is not that real personally, just good food and regular training, i also do 1 or 2 body parts when i train but not every day so i work my entire body once each week.

Also i walk a fair deal, i still have abs and i do no sit ups even so i suppose some of it is good genetics also.

Good Luck!

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Again, you are cherry picking facts and examining them
In isolation instead of looking at the whole picture.
I saw an examination of the average diet of the American cowboy of the late 1800s. It was LOADED with much more fat and cholesterol… Bacon, fatback, etc. no refrigerators or food from a box on a wagon train.
yet there was NOT an epidemic of obesity and heart disease in the Old West…WHY? because…they worked hard all day and were active from dawn to dusk.
Examining factors in isolation leads to wrong conclusions.

Have you noticed that since doctors have been prescribing more anti statin drugs to offset cholesterol, that the rate of Alzheimer’s disease has also increased? As I said before… the brains needs cholesterol to function and one of the building blocks of testosterone is cholesterol.
If I were to give up one food group to be healthy it would be sugar and artificial Sweeteners (except sugar alcohols and monk fruit which do NOt spike your blood sugar. )
I don’t think I’m the only one doing some cherry picking. Bye, bye.

GBfun

TDPRI Member
Ack. I am now fighting my weight as I'm 50lbs over my high school fighting weight and my blood pressure is starting to get to the bottom of Stage 2(>160).

Sadly, it IS easier to gain muscle mass and lose weight below the age of 50, though it is never easy.

The theory appears to be that one's testosterone and supporting hormones are no longer plentiful enough past 50 to easily build muscle. Muscles consumes the most calories and has many health benefits throughout the body that FAT doesn't provide. Indeed, fat appears to be active in producing hormones that are distinctly unhealthy. So the plan appears to be : grow muscle, reduce fat.

Well duh you say. Yep, that's what I say too. But don't take any of this from me anyway. I didn't really get dangerously fat until that-which-cannot-be-named showed up and I'm new to this subject.

But one thing I can say is, losing weight by eating less is not always that effective if one's body just does the same fat building on less calories ! Mine pulled that trick on ME. I now eat half my normal food and remain the same weight. I also can say that copious exercise(swimming a mile, running or walking daily, long bike rides, etc etc) may improve my conditioning, but they sure don't do much for weight loss ! So what is an old guy to do ?

At the moment, it seems that hormone replacement is the best bet for building muscle again and providing more energy for stronger workouts which *might* work to reduce fat levels. So keep an eye out in your local area for such possibilities and read up on this approach for a while. But you know how all these zillions of fat reduction programs are...and there are probably outright scammers to avoid. I also heard a recent rumor about a diabetes drug(there's always a rumor about some fantastic new drug) that's also quite useful for weight loss.

Personally, that might come in quite handy for me if true, because by the time I figure out how to successfully keep the weight off forever, I might be quite diabetic too ! :)

Anyway, look around in that direction and see what turns up.

There are a zillion of us in the same boat ! (and it's sinking...lol)

PS. Geez. It's now 5:30am and I'm about to ride my bike 8 miles in the gloom to escape the heatwave and lose thousands of pounds of FAT. Yeah, sure. But I am sure that there should be a law
about exercising before NOON ! Yes, indeed. And the same for playing music. I'm pretty sure of THAT !

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This advice is for the O.P. I think he should concentrate on reducing calories and add in some medical supervision. You don't need to be trying to build muscle mass or do strength training - leave that for the guys who have their weight/size under control.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ride a bike multiple times a week and do an upper body-only weight routine.

(Specific to your age and strictly for gaining back some upper body strength)

That’s it - you’re done.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sound less great. :)
I agree.

I think most folks here know, I don't eat red meat (I do eat fish, fowl, eggs, dairy) but that's irrelevant for the purposes of this thread. It is for me - I think it is foolish to recommend any of these regimes we do to someone we hardly know. Doesn't matter if someone is proselytizing for Vegan or Keto or whatever - the O.P. is going to brush you off. He's not going to listen. Nor should he.