Build Muscle, Lose Weight?

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
. . . I think Taubes would say that he is a fan of high fat diets. If you learn music, the first distinction you learn is major versus minor. When it comes to nutrition, the first major distinction is about food: fat, protein, and carbohydrate. I don't think Taubes would agree with "eat less" when it comes to eating. If you eat the right food (low carb), then you can always eat to satiety and not gain weight. The problem is that most of us are addicted to carbs and it's no small task getting over that addiction. Anyway, good luck with your health.
Thanks again. I think adding the "high fat" clarification makes it clearer. The contrast as I understand it is between high fat/low carb and low fat diets.

Thanks again.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
No need to build muscle; instead, cut out sugars and fats. What will happen is the proportion of muscle mass to overall body mass will increase as a result of your weight loss. Stay active. Simply being on your feet instead of sitting will work wonders. Cut back on TV; that usually involves hours of sitting.

Weight loss and getting into shape is not something you simply do. Instead, it's something you have to hammer into your brain; you have make a conscious decision that your current physical condition is undesireable/disgusting/etc., and you are going to change it permanently. It's a different lifetyle than what you're currently living.

This allows you to make connections with habits and foods that contribute to your current physical condition. It becomes easier to say "no" to that donut, because the donut prevents you from achieving your goal.

Good luck!
One other simple suggestion: eat slowly. I have a bad habit of wolfing down my food. I can eat a lot more than I need because I eat so fast that the nutrients haven't had time to be absorbed and trigger a satiation signal. If I chew thoroughly and slow down the pace, there's time for the food I've already eaten to affect my blood sugar levels and send a signal to my brain saying "that's enough, already".

Another simple thing is to make sure you get a lot of fiber. It reduces absorption, decreases constipation, and the added bulk helps you feel full more quickly. I try to eat meals with lots of fruits and veggies, but when that doesn't happen I will at least add a teaspoon of Metamucil to the meal and I think that helps a bit. Drink lots of water, too.

I do agree that a big part of it is mental...changing your lifestyle and changing your relationship to food.

Another trick I use is that if I want a treat I will eat something like a piece of dried mango, or maybe a small square of really high quality dark chocolate. I savor the taste and really make sure to enjoy it. By being really present when I eat it, I can get as much or more pleasure out of one small square of dark chocolate than others get out of two scoops of ice cream. If I want a savory treat, rather than go for potato chips or Doritos I will go with a few smokehouse almonds or salted, roasted cashews. Similar satisfaction without it being totally empty calories.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Preach it brother! We have been so bamboozled by the food industry, we don’t know which way is up. Remember “the incredible, edible egg” campaign? Eggs are 50% fat, the only incredible thing is that people fall for their BS.
We HAVE been sold a bill of goods by the lobbying of the food industry… healthy Fat is not our problem.
Sugar, most artificial sweeteners and processed carbs are what make us fat.

Dr Jason Fung, phrenologist and cancer researcher has several books and multiple excellent videos on YouTube. He is a big proponent of Intermittent Fasting and there are studies to back it up.
Just cutting calories will only go so far… your body will lower its metabolism as a survival mechanism. It’s the QUALITY of the the food and the TIMING.
If you eat 2000 calories in 3 meals a day, you may maintain your weight. Eating the same 2000 calories in a 6-8 hour window can result in weight loss due to how Insulin and other hormones react.
You cannot our train a bad diet.
I went from 203 to 163 by using IF and incorporating some Keto principles…cutting processed carbs, starches and sugars while eating lots of healthy fats (avocado, walnuts, olive oil, cocoanut oil, etc).

I highly recommend Dr Fung’s information. He has successfully enabled some Type II diabetics to get totally off of insulin strictly by modifying their diet and timing of meals.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
And every few years, the “experts” reverse themselves about eggs.
It’s one of the best and cheapest protein sources and the brain NEEDS cholesterol to function properly.
One of the building blocks of testosterone is…you guessed it…cholesterol.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
And every few years, the “experts” reverse themselves about eggs.
It’s one of the best and cheapest protein sources and the brain NEEDS cholesterol to function properly.
One of the building blocks of testosterone is…you guessed it…cholesterol.
I'd be interested in seeing a source for this claim because I've never seen an actual expert reverse themselves on eggs. Most Americans get MORE protein than they need, so pushing the need for meat, cheese, eggs to get your protein is just the more brainwashing of the uninformed. As far as an efficient source of protein, you can get more bang for your buck in a can of beans - more fiber, less fat, more filling and less expensive.

From the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - Eggs are also loaded with cholesterol—about 200 milligrams for an average-sized egg. That's more than double the amount in a Big Mac. Fat and cholesterol contribute to heart disease. A 2021 study found that the addition of half an egg per day was associated with more deaths from heart disease, cancer, and all causes.

Patshep

TDPRI Member
I put in some weight during the pandemic. I’m 54. My doctor said that having some muscle was important to keep your metabolism burning calories. He said the best workouts for me are probably lifting weights and doing 20 minutes of cardio after. Also walking a lot

PoorNoodle

Tele-Meister
What works for me is:
Eat less = lose weight
Exercise more = feel better
Years ago I weighed 210 lbs. Now I’m 150 lbs and sticking with it.

The biggest challenge was portion sizes. Wrapping my head around the fact that a Mc D Cheeseburger, small fries and a water is a sufficient adult meal was actually mind blowing.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
First, have you been tested for hypothyroidism. It's very common and THEY DON'T TEST FOR IT, unless you ask.

A good TSH number is 3-ish (for me, everyone has a "feel good" level). When I had my TSH tested it came out at 13+ which is severely hypo. I started taking synthroid and went from 222 pounds to 150 in about 6 months. No working out.

I'm back to 160, and my TSH test just came in at 5.5, so I'm moving up to 150 micrograms a day.

In addition, as you age, your metabolism drastically changes. At 66, I *literally* half to work out twice as hard for half the results. This is my doctors words, not mine!

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
I'm an odd bird of sorts. 64 yo and very fortunate in many ways. My health is, according to my pcp, surprisingly good considering my history of poor diet and smoking. I met the covid thing head on. When it hit I had 4 comorbidities. Obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and copd (which quitting smoking allowed me to not need to reach for my inhaler).

~18 months ago I weighed 269 lbs, was prescribed a 4th blood pressure med, and doc talked to me about insulin. I also took a station and 1500 mg metaformin a day. Also told me I wouldn't fare well if I caught covid. a1c was ~ 6.5 iirc. So I told him to give me 3 months.

Fast forward to March 3rd of this year, I weighed 176, have my blood pressure in the low normal range for the first time in decades, and my a1c was 5.2. Lower than docs lol. He took me off all but 1 bp med and told me I could stop taking metformin. This morning I weighed 161. No longer overweight.

So yes, in a way I turned covid into a positive thing. Made me do my research and beat 3 of 4 comorbidities. Whole foods, exercise, and tossing the smokes. And meticulous study and application of glycemic index and glycemic load of foods. If it raises my blood glucose over 125, I stop eating it. Works.

I was struggling to lose my visceral fat (belly fat), so I bought a bike. Now it's melting away. I've gone from size 48 pants and 3X shirts to 30 pants and medium shirts. The pants are getting loose. Did it safe too. Lost a safe rate of less than two pounds a week. Oh, forgot to mention my cholesterol and triglycerides were sky high when I started. Now both are normal range.

Only med I take now is amlodipine. Stopped the rest.

My BMI has went from ~ 39-40 to 24.1 and my body fat % is around 14%, down from over 36%.

Did it by researching the glycemic index of individual foods and also the glycemic load of foods. Once I started to apply that as my focus on diet and adding walking and light strength training the fat started melting away. Met all my goals and now the focus is on the visceral fat. Since I bought a bike in May, it's melting away, albeit slowly.

Never bothered counting calories. My body lets me know if I don't get enough and my scale lets me know if I got too many.

In short, as a doctor named David Lipetz wrote in his book The Good Calorie Diet, "it's not that we eat too much, it's that we make too much fat from what we do eat". It's all about the glycemic index and glycemic load of foods.

Go with higher water content and nutrient rich whole foods, get up and move, and know what foods to eliminate. Also, accept it takes diligence.

Going from miserable to feeling great is worth it.

Last edited:

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
I'd be interested in seeing a source for this claim because I've never seen an actual expert reverse themselves on eggs. Most Americans get MORE protein than they need, so pushing the need for meat, cheese, eggs to get your protein is just the more brainwashing of the uninformed. As far as an efficient source of protein, you can get more bang for your buck in a can of beans - more fiber, less fat, more filling and less expensive.

From the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - Eggs are also loaded with cholesterol—about 200 milligrams for an average-sized egg. That's more than double the amount in a Big Mac. Fat and cholesterol contribute to heart disease. A 2021 study found that the addition of half an egg per day was associated with more deaths from heart disease, cancer, and all causes.
The mistake you make is lumping ALL fat together and labeling it “bad”. That’s the standard line we have been told over the last 50 years.
There are two kinds of cholesterol, HDL and LDL, one is good the other is unhealthy.
Do you happen to know how the American Food Pyramid (what we were taught in school to eat) was established? In the early 1970s, two separate Lobbyist groups presented totally opposite recommendations for what we should be eating. (And we all know that Lobbyists have our best interest at heart.) The US Senate committee, chaired by Sen McGovern, made the decision to adopt one…basically by flipping a coin because they did not know what else to do.
Don’t know about you, but I would not stake my life on that pyramid.
The grains that we are told to eat are mostly GMO now. They strip the husk of the wheat (the nutritional part), grind it up and make flour. As early as 1912, there was Senate testimony warning of degradation of our food products.

Dr Jason Fung stated that in his 8 years of education to become a doctor, he received a grand total of 9 hours of nutrition education…and that most of what they were taught has been proved to be WRONG.

What most people do not realize is that our hormones play a key part in our weight. Insulin spikes whenever you eat something. Ghrelin is a hormone that determines how hungry or full you feel. Both of these are negatively affected by sugar and most artificial sweeteners. Fat and protein, much less so.

The whole weight issue is not so simple as eating less calories.
There is a plethora of information available for anyone looking to educate themselves.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Again, you are cherry picking facts and examining them
In isolation instead of looking at the whole picture.
I saw an examination of the average diet of the American cowboy of the late 1800s. It was LOADED with much more fat and cholesterol… Bacon, fatback, etc. no refrigerators or food from a box on a wagon train.
yet there was NOT an epidemic of obesity and heart disease in the Old West…WHY? because…they worked hard all day and were active from dawn to dusk.
Examining factors in isolation leads to wrong conclusions.

Have you noticed that since doctors have been prescribing more anti statin drugs to offset cholesterol, that the rate of Alzheimer’s disease has also increased? As I said before… the brains needs cholesterol to function and one of the building blocks of testosterone is cholesterol.
If I were to give up one food group to be healthy it would be sugar and artificial Sweeteners (except sugar alcohols and monk fruit which do NOt spike your blood sugar. )

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
If I were to give up one food group to be healthy it would be sugar and artificial Sweeteners (except sugar alcohols and monk fruit which do NOt spike your blood sugar. )
Yep, erythritol is what I started using. Bought some and made a pitcher of Kool-Aid with it. Checked my blood glucose before and after I drank about 24 oz of the Kool-Aid. 20 minutes after and again 45 minutes after. No spike.

I got my average daily glucose readings down well but I was having trouble getting my fasting reading below 100. So I kept digging and found an article that suggested eating a high protein food right before bedtime. A boiled egg was one example they gave so I tried it and sure enough I had the lowest fasting reading since I started. Not by a lot but going in the right direction. So I kept doing it and after a couple months of eating a boiled egg or a quarter cup of cottage cheese (Good Culture brand) my fasting reading is in the low 80's.

Iirc, the article explained that if your blood glucose isn't high enough when you go to bed that your liver releases glucose. The protein snack digests slowly and prevents that.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
My running days are over. What worked for me was completely eliminating beer, pasta, bread, and cereal. And doing pushups daily. Good luck to you.

1659062001244.png

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
My running days are over. What worked for me was completely eliminating beer, pasta, bread, and cereal. And doing pushups daily. Good luck to you.

View attachment 1010345
There ya go. Eliminating bad carbs and adding exercise is a powerful method.

As far as pasta, black bean spaghetti is ok. Check this out.. especially the iron, fiber, potassium, and protein.

img_20220601_101520_9aab4366ee30edf757dc653048721bf2e33971fc.jpg

Black beans glycemic index is 30. Net carbs of this spaghetti is 8g. 30 GI x 8 g net carbs ÷ 100 = 2.4 glycemic load. That's golden. Anything under a glycemic load of 10 is good.

Edamame pasta is very similar as well. A little olive oil, garlic powder, and parmesan and I'm good.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Well you have two choices.

Go Vegan, have drastic improvement in your life and never think about weight again, think about disease MUCH MUCH less than you ever have, and feel better than you ever have since young.

Or, continue on the way you have been and get much much worse, using medication which will only make it worse.

By the way protein comes from plants. Look at a gorilla. Dont listen to the American "food pyramid" or watch a documentary Food Inc and learn how "McDonalds" shaped what Americans eat way back in the 50's, by controlling what foods get mass produced by farmers. Unfortunately most obese, diseased, cancered, and diabetic americans still adhere to this diet. While I love the fifties, and forties, and old eras, this is one area that is an abomination.

Again the choice is simple and its yours.

Beans, rice, vegetables, potatoes, fruit. Nuts.

If you need cheese for some ungodly reason, get vegan cheese, vegan sausage. They have it all at Walmart. Shouldnt be neccesary since its porcessed food but its WORLDS BETTER than the pus infused milk and cancer/pus/disease infested meat for abused, tortured, and murdered beings. Remember, every pandemic has come from... eating animals. Swine flu, mad cow, etc etc etc.

Anyway, choice is yours. Its simple.

Im vegan, I never think about weight. Unless I go to Chipotle and get a massive black bean, pinto bean, white rice, brown rice, fajita, sofrita, gucamole, hot sauce, tomato, green sauce, lettuce, etc etc burrito.

What more do you need in life?

Your health.

Thats how you get it. So cheap to buy organic fruits/vegetables/beans at Walmart, compared to processed foods...

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Dark chocolate. Came upon this article and found a brand at the local health food shop that's 88% cocoa.

Stuff is so nutrient dense there is not much room for added sugar.