Build Muscle, Lose Weight?

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I just read an article that once over age 50 eating more protein (dietary protein, not from supplements) may help reduce muscle wasting that tends to occur as we age.

A healthy diet with plenty of fiber and water, moderate exercise that includes both cardio and weights, and good sleep can do a lot, but it takes time. Cutting out all alcohol is a very easy way to lose weight. During the last couple of years of the virus I got in the habitat of having a beer with dinner every night. I cut that out when I saw I was putting on a few pounds and those pounds went away pretty quickly.

But I think it is very hard to readjust your homeostasis body set point. For many years I weighed about 142 lbs-- I was an ectomorph. Racing bicycles I got even leaner-- down to 137 lbs when I was in peak racing shape. Then I decided I wanted to have a stronger, more manly body. So I got into weight lifting. Over time I got myself where my body's new set point was around 160 lbs.

Then I got into power lifting, focusing on squats, deadlifts, bench, and pullups, and eating lots of food. I got up to 172 lbs, with a big "barrel" of a mid-section that looks like a beer belly but is actually muscle, and that became my new homeostatic set point....where my body "wants" to be.

With changes in lifestyle due to the pandemic I became the heaviest I've ever been in my life at 182#. (I'm 5'9"). Not happy about that at all.

I think it would be nearly impossible to get my body set point back down to 160. With a lot of walking, cardio, and lighter lifting I think I can get back to around 170, but it ain't going to be easy. Conversely, once you're no longer a true ectomorph it seems pretty easy to put on a pound or two a week and have that new, higher weight become your new set point.

I think it takes dedication and discipline to permanently and truly lose even a pound a week. Adjust your exercise/diet regime, stick to it, and be patient. It will take time. Your weight may fluctuate in the short term, but what really matters is managing to re-set your body's homeostatic set point-- what weight your body "wants" to be. That is the real challenge and it isn't easy. Typically people diet, lose a bunch of weight, but then gain it all back because their homeostatic set point never actually changed, so their body was fighting them the whole way and was just waiting to get right back to where it was when given the caloric opportunity.

Last edited:

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I found a good scientific article on "set point" vs. "settling point". Key points:

- there is some evidence for a loose, metabolic "settling point", but it seems mostly designed to gain weight back rather than to lose weight. I.e., we evolved in a world where starvation was a much greater risk than obesity. So when we lose fat our metabolisms try hard to gain it back. And when we gain fat, our bodies try to keep it, making it hard to lose it.

- a high-calorie, high fat Western diet can swamp the effects of individual metabolism or "set point". Given the abundance of food and the opportunities for hyperphagy (a.k.a. over-eating), we have to use our brains to manage our food intake and not rely on our hunger cues alone. Our bodies just weren't optimized for a food-rich environment and so our instincts and biological signals for hunger are not reliable in this environment.

-- And aging just makes it worse.

-- Dogs, cats, and mice are just the same. Given the opportunity they will become obese. We are wired to over-eat and get fat if we get the chance. Makes sense since we all evolved in an environment where starvation was a real possibility, and where the opportunity to become obese was highly unlikely.

unfamous

Tele-Holic
Try to do 100 push ups daily for 30 days. Just try and do the best you can the regular way. Dont worry about perfect form just do what you can.. You will notice a change quickly. Good Luck !
Ignoring proper form does two things. A) makes you prone to injury. B) Decreases the benefit to your muscles that you would have gotten had you done the exercise properly. Oh, and you get the benefit of getting in the habit of doing it wrong AND being a bad example for others. What a deal!

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
^^^^^ Form will come naturally if he sticks with it. Some people need to walk before they run. It's like starting out being unfamous and just working your way up by getting into a good habit doing it right over time and then becoming famous..

Friend of Leo's
Two ways to get fit/strong/lose weight.
Lift weights or run.
But neither of those will work without a calorie controlled diet.
Think 'services'.... Do you want to out-lift an enemy or out-run them?
But the key really is diet... Eat only at meal times and reduce your calorie intake! Have the occasional treat, sure, but stick to the diet.
Count your calories every day.

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
1) Discuss your situation with your MD, not internet randos.
2) Metabolism slows down only @.07% yearly after age 60.
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe5017
3) Find and work with a highly rated dietician who is also an athlete.
4) Find a PT/Trainer who is also an athlete to develop a plan with reachable goals.
Well, yeah. But this is much more entertaining. :)

I do plan to discuss with doctor at next appointment.

And I've worked with a few trainers when I was in my 40s. That's also on the agenda down the road.

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
BTW, I believe that muscle weighs more than fat.

Just something to consider...

imo.
Not just your opinion. Absolutely true.

I get to go shopping for used clothing in my closet every couple of weeks. But I'd also like to cut more weight.

Last edited:

Octorfunk

Tele-Holic
IME, with regards to weight, calorie restriction is far more important than exercise. A year ago, I restricted my calories by eating one large meal a day and a snack (and booze), and I lost 25 lbs without lifting a finger. If anything I've been less active due to a foot injury. I'd love to lose another 25 lbs, and maybe exercise will help, but step 1 is eat less food.
This. I started eating less and dropped 20lbs in 5 weeks sitting at a cubicle all day. Obviously that's not a long-term solution, but man it sure is a heck of a kickstarter to feeling better. This time around I'm trying to add in a mild/moderate strength-building routine to try and speed up the weight loss. Muscle burns fat, so obviously adding some muscle helps with losing weight.

Kiriyaro2211

TDPRI Member
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.
As for muscle building, there is always a dilemma whether more weight or reps can help here. I guess, there are different factors to take into consideration. As for me, I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a goal to build muscles, so I combine both reps and more weight now in the hope to see the result. Maybe more experienced people will say that I chose the wrong way.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I lost a ton of weight by doing the fast800, without doing a shred of exercise. I now eat within a fasting window, and fast for 16 hours a day. I cut down on my carbs, massively, and follow a loose Mediterranean diet of fish, chicken, plenty of above-ground vegetables, pulses, some grains, cheese in moderation, olive oil etc but very little bread, potato, pasta, starchy veg etc. To do it properly you should also cut out beer, but some red wine every now and then is fine. Oh and obviously no sugar.

You can find the recipe book on Amazon. The food is tasty and healthy, recipies are prepared by nutritionists, and the recipies are offered both for fasting days and for non-fasting days with some small modifications/additions.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Condolences on losing your wife.

My PCP did not like my A1C and my blood pressure, so my wife put us both on a low-carb diet. Especially cutting out sugar. I have lost 13 pounds in the past two months.

I have decided that cutting out carbs contributes more to weight (fat) loss than anything else. My wife has also lost weight and she has not moved around much since cracking her tibia in March.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.
As for muscle building, there is always a dilemma whether more weight or reps can help here. I guess, there are different factors to take into consideration. As for me, I'm not a bodybuilder, but I have a goal to build muscles, so I combine both reps and more weight now in the hope to see the result. Maybe more experienced people will say that I chose the wrong way.
From what I have read and heard, it is more weight that builds more muscle. Although activity is certainly better than no activity.

effzee

Tele-Holic
Hey there, very sorry to read about your wife, you did right by her though and honestly, that's a bigger and better achievement than most of us will ever know. Good on you.

Regarding fat metabolism, it's not not that simple. Every body is different and we all change with age, but every body has a weight memory, meaning you'll always try unconsciously to get back to whatever your maximum weight was in the past Your hormones will fool around with your mood to influence you to stop trying to lose weight, and the older you get, the harder it becomes.

I know about this because someone close to me has been fighting this battle for years and she's way up on the learning curve after many consultations with many experts in the field. It helped her a lot when she learned this. Just being aware of the effect helped her prepare ways to get around it.

Anyway, there's one huge aspect to fat metabolism that hardly gets any attention, but it's often the missing link for people who say they just can not lose weight no matter what they do, and that's the breathing. I'll keep this really short now and just say that mouth breathing leads to hyperventilating which blocks fat metabolism. Breathing slower and literally less, can have a strong effect on your body's ability to bring oxygen into the cross l cells where it's needed, and to break down fat and transport it out of the body.

I

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Silver Supporter
1) Discuss your situation with your MD, not internet randos.
2) Metabolism slows down only @.07% yearly after age 60.
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe5017
3) Find and work with a highly rated dietician who is also an athlete.
4) Find a PT/Trainer who is also an athlete to develop a plan with reachable goals.
lots of mds go by old info if they arent into fitness and muscle building...try and find one thats is into muscle building science...a guy like this one

Dr. Mike Israetel holds a PhD in Sport Physiology

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Condolences on losing your wife.

My PCP did not like my A1C and my blood pressure, so my wife put us both on a low-carb diet. Especially cutting out sugar. I have lost 13 pounds in the past two months.

I have decided that cutting out carbs contributes more to weight (fat) loss than anything else. My wife has also lost weight and she has not moved around much since cracking her tibia in March.

Cutting carbs really works for me personally. I lost 80 lbs over about 8 months eating keto. I have the odd indulgence of spaghetti, but even now I maintain a low carb, protein heavy diet.

I can feel it in my body as soon as I start introducing more carbs.

effzee

Tele-Holic
lots of mds go by old info if they arent into fitness and muscle building...try and find one thats is into muscle building science...a guy like this one

Dr. Mike Israetel holds a PhD in Sport Physiology
I agree. That's the thing about "discuss this with your doctor" advice. Every doctor is going to give you different information. Why should I assume that *my* MD is going to give me the best information for me? More often than not, they'll repeat dogma that they learned in med school (and they don't all learn the same material, either) which may or may not be the best.