Build: King of Tone Clone

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Urshurak776, May 18, 2021.

1. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

60788DED-D420-4135-AF3A-1CEB2CC6C34A.jpeg 05F38116-EAEB-47E7-BFF3-AD6FA7D99C5B.jpeg

I posted quite a while ago about the Rullywow KoT board. Really well done. Pedal sounds great! I initially wired the input Jack backwards but figured it out quickly.

I used 1S1588 for the distortion and BA282 for the soft clipping. The BA282 measure really close to the magic MA856.

Plain box right now, but have a plan for the graphics with a stamp from Hobby Lobby……

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks good! Did you do high and low gain?

Urshurak776 and Mad Kiwi like this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Looks great Ursh! I really like Rullywow's boards and have built a few, the KoT is on my wish list.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. Urshurak776

i actually did it completely stock. I thought about doing the high gain to one side but decided to just do it stock and playing with it for a while. Maybe in the future. I will say, there is quite a bit of gain on tap.

5. Urshurak776

Thanks Zip. Fun build. I think you will enjoy it. Sounds fantastic. Super versatile.

zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I built a Prince of Tone from PedalPCB, nice overdrive, a little more crunch than the older Snouse Black Box that I have. Now that I think of it, I've never run the two together!

As a sidenote, I used the Rullywow KoT drill template for the knobs and LEDs on my 1590BB compressor. I didn't trust my layout skills so I figured since the pots were wired, why not? It was another fun build and I didn't want to mess up too many enclosures ;-)

THAT complete.jpg

TwoBear and Urshurak776 like this.
  7. Urshurak776

Nice! What compressor PCB is that?

TwoBear likes this.
  8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

It's the Ultra Compressor from Guitar-Electronics.EU, based on the THAT4301 chip. I got the chip from Mojotone, big bucks, but it's a cool processor. I picked up a Dyna Comp board from guitar-electronics.eu too, built it and sent it to my son in Colorado so he could get some squish on his guitar and bass when recording.

Took about a month from Poland to get here right after the holidays, so the postal systems were slow. They were worth the wait, good builds.

Urshurak776 and TwoBear like this.
  9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Great looking build! And completely perfect timing, as I just saw a guy on YouTube finally getting his after his four year wait! I wasn’t aware of this site but I did tell people there to go to tag board electronics and build their own. This would obviously be much easier than vero. So is it about a month wait? I was sort of ticked off at Zzsounds Because I ordered a NUXMG 30 and was told it would be here the 21st and now they’ve moved that to maybe June7. I’ve been looking for something to build, and this looks perfect. Thanks and again perfect timing!

Urshurak776 and zippofan like this.
  10. Urshurak776

Thanks! I have done some Vero builds, but only small fuzz type stuff. I can't imagine doing a KOT on Vero (I would have a headache....)

I ordered the PCB and it arrived within 3 or 4 days. Not bad at all. Really fun build. You should give it a shot!

KOT on Vero below.........nope. I need therapy now.

2021-05-19_8-48-35.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  11. Urshurak776

Zip, I honestly don't know much about compressors. I have watched YouTube videos on what they are and why I should buy (or build) one and honestly can't really tell. Probably because YouTube already implements compression in its audio. I think I need to see a LIVE demo to really get it.

12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Awesome! I didn't know they had a KoT kit! So now the million dollar question: If I commission you to build me one, how long is the waiting list ;) LOL!

Urshurak776 likes this.
  13. Urshurak776

One thing I will tell you guys, there is a 100uf capacitor on the board. Recommend you watch the Rullywow video on assembly (great video.) Height of caps is an issue. I bought those 1/2 height 100uf Caps. I got a million of them. If you guys need a couple, I'll be glad to drop it in an envelope for ya and send them to you. No charge. just PM me.

zippofan likes this.
  14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Those low profile electrolytics are great for that, I bought a raft of them myself when I ran into trouble with an Engineer's Thumb build (another compressor lol) and they've come in handy for the 1590G and A builds I just did, otherwise they wouldn't fit!

You're right about compression Ursh, YouTube (and most online video) have already limited the dynamic range of the audio tracks so you need to try one. First one I ever built was a Mammoth modified Ross kit, still with the CA3080 chip, they're hard to find and $$ now, but the LM13700 is the same thing, just a dual. An old bandmate of mine bought it off me at the holidays for a gig they had scheduled (but was later cancelled) as he didn't like the comp on his Boss multi-fx. Those and Dyna Comps can be super squashed, optical comps and FET based ones (Orange Squeezer, Love Squeeze) are more subtle but noticeable when you turn it off.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  15. Urshurak776

Thanks @zippofan! Appreciate the explanation.

zippofan likes this.
  16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Thats a really clean build. Impressive.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  17. Urshurak776

Thanks Mike!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.