Build idea / What do you think

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AbisFjord, Jan 29, 2018.

1. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

First the general build:

Partscaster, white finish with gold hardware and torti guard, rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck, neck pickup only. Sort of an "anti-esquire" build. (Evil Esquire?)

On the guitar I currently use, I have a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the neck position and rarely, if ever, switch to any other position, choosing instead to manipulate the sound through the tone and volume controls. I have considered completely removing the bridge pup and replacing the bridge plate with a whole, uncut plate to cover the existing routing on the guitar (standard Mexican body). Furthermore, I would replace the control plate to remove the unnecessary 3-way switch, leaving the tone and control. While this is a modification I plan on making, I have considered building a cheap partscaster with these modifications in mind.

Therefore, the new build could have a minimized bridge zone, with no extra plate needed to cover any existing routing in the body. This might look funny with a pickguard not extending all the way to the saddle. Further, the control plate could also be minimized as far as length, with no switch, which saves a couple of inches down there. (Though there is concern that a short control plate might not exist in the retail world.) Now the real question here, with this theoretical build, would you like to see a big ol' gold humbucker on the neck side or a traditional chrome-dome single?

What do you folks think about that?

Anode100 likes this.
  2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Nice idea, but you run the risk of losing the 'Telecaster' tone (even on the neck pickup) by removing the bridge plate.

I like the way you're thinking though - everything you need, nothing you don't - very 'Tele'!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

I don't know the make of them, but on a few guitars Billy Gibbons has a humbucker that looks like 2 covered front tele pickups sitting in a hb pickup ring. Could look pretty cool.

AbisFjord likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Everything but the tort guard sounds good.

5. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Torti guard is pretty much nonnegotiable, it's kind of my thing. I like my guitars ugly, like me.

6. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

What would you slap on there? Maybe flat gold or even sparkle gold, kind of a Guild look?

7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Billy used a pearly gates straight across(perpendicular to) the strings. The bridge cavity requires extra routing for that. Glendale Guitars makes that bridge.
    Wilkinson does a half ashtray bridge. Dragonfire guitars has them the cheapest I’ve seen.
    Would probably be easiest to cover that bridge cavity with a pickguard if you are serious.
    You can design one on the warmoth site with just a neck pickup.
    Something like a 72 Deluxe or Deluxe Thinline would cover the bridge pup route and the control cavity if you just wanted holes for volume and tone. There is also a guy in Indiana that makes a control plate with no switch. Rock Rabbit

8. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

A89C09D2-68F4-478B-970B-E6BEEB6386B3.jpeg 68E5A161-F59B-4F62-A547-20A6FEB8A87E.jpeg Like these.

Attached Files:

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Since you're going for a white body, gold anodized aluminum can be cool, and just a little different. Like my CV Strat.

C04064DB-B792-484C-BFB0-4EAD6F504CD3_zpsvadhdwes.jpg

Or even a black guard. It's basic, but I think it looks cool.

fullsizeoutput_176.jpeg

CFFF and Felino like this.
  10. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Thanks for all of your input so far, gentlemen. Some interesting ideas.

11. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

With the gold hardware, it might just be too much... gold. The black might clash nicely though with a big gold humbucker.

12. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Any thoughts on whether a humbucker or single coil is more appropriate for the sole pickup on the neck side? A mini-hum might look slick as well, but is a bit of a fence-sitter tone wise. I'm afraid a lonely single coil might not be hot enough in that position.

13. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

P90.

Ride the volume control for clean / grit tones.

Fiesta Red and Ebidis like this.
  14. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Get the same SD humbucker you like and get a Gold cover for it? If you already know that set up works for you, do it with this build.

As for the bridge, get an uncut one like you’re considering. Or maybe get a regular one and cut a piece of metal in shape of the bridge pickup and screw that in? I did similar with a Strat once. I set it up Tele style and cut some scrap pickguard of the same colour to screw in under the guard at the middle pickup. I could tell playing obviously, but from further away it was un-noticeable.

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a Filtertron?

16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I like your style. But I think I'm going to win the award for the most ridiculous partscaster ever, in progress:

No bridge pup like you, routs all filled (top loader hardtail bridge), and drumroll please...

A 5" hole going all the way through the body, like a dread.

Direct to jack (Look ma, no switch or pots!), and carving my own round "thing" to cover the hole and mount the pup. I have an SD Hot Rails bridge pup I might put there, or something more sensible. And oh--covered in denim.

I'm calling it my Stupidcaster.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.