Build Deluxe Reverb using PC board from Ebay

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by drlizardo, Aug 19, 2016.

1. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Has anyone built a deluxe reverb using the electronics from a reissue on ebay? There are several loaded boards removed from reissues where people decided to handwire instead. Is this a cheap alternative possibly? There's still a lot of work to do fabricating a chassis and cabinet but that's doable for pretty cheap.

Any thoughts?

2. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Don't bother. It would be just as easy to build it the old way with a chassis kit.

3. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I agree that a turret board is better than the PC. Those PCB things are junk.

4. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

I was thinking more about saving money. I guess it would probably be close

5. Badside

Badside Tele-Meister

The board is often the least expensive part of a build. You'd still need transformers, a chassis, tubes, a reverb pan, etc

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - a fancy board with turrets and decent parts will probably about what you could buy a ripped out reissue for, or find one of the decent board kits that match the older style. If you're gonna try and make it nice you really won't save much getting the boards.

7. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

If you are going to spend the time to build an amp that used a turret board, don't short cut with a PC board. You will end up changing it out in the future anyway.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  8. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree, you can buy a populated turret board for close to the money of one of those PCB pulls. Why pay all the money for a cab, speaker, chassis and transformers just to stuff it with a PCB?

9. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

I wouldn't pay money for a cab or chassis or tubes, but I think you're probably right. I have no idea what a loaded turret board costs

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

11. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

I came to the same conclusion as the guys here who know, albeit after the fact. I bought the PRRI PCB ($55). I decided to keep a track of the cost and between MojoTone, HoffmanAmps, Amazon and eBay, its into me for $492.67 and I still have maybe $25 for stuff I got wrong/missed earlier, like the L12A jack for the external speaker.
    All sittin in a box, haven't even started yet.
    But, I'm not kicking myself over it. I'll enjoy working on it and if it winds up on a tech's bench, ehhh, they need work too.

12. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

Ohh, first post.
    Hi, my name is Nate, live in the Memphis area, recently retired

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Hello Nate, and welcome

14. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

I find that with my amp builds, making and populating the eyelet board is not where most of the time and expense go - that part is relatively cheap and quick to do. So whatever time or money savings you might make building around a PCB don't seem worth it compared to the additional satisfaction of having the whole thing hand-built.

15. robrob

^That's the key. The circuit board is easy and inexpensive. All the work is connecting everything to the tubes and pots. All the expense is in the cab, speaker, tubes and transformers. You'll seriously regret building an amp and sticking a freakin' PCB in it.

Cordovanate, sink that $55 and build a proper circuit board. Your amp's resale value will jump much more than $55 with an eyelet or turret board and your owner's pride will spike too.

16. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Thanks Nate and welcome. I built a tweed deluxe a year or two ago and had a good time doing it. It was all hand wired with a homemade cabinet. It's a lot of fun and I hope yours goes well. You came to the right place for guidance

17. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used a Watts turret board for my "Twin" build, very nice!
    When I decided to build a DR, I also built my turret board. I had a Weber AB763 board for a template, really easy to do.

18. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

I think you are probably right robrob. I'll need to track down a list of components for the turret board, and I think I saw one at HoffmanAmps. I'm looking for an AA1164 build list right???

19. robrob

Hoffman will sell you the board and/or components and he'll solder the board if you like. He's a good dude.

The Deluxe Reverb is an AB763 design and the Reissue is an AB763 on a PCB. Most of us believe the AB763 is the pinnacle of Fender design.

More info on the DR and AB763: https://robrobinette.com/How_The_AB763_Deluxe_Reverb_Works.htm

Signal path:
    [​IMG]

songtalk likes this.
  20. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

Thanks robrob. Everything already purchased, i.e. transformers, chassis, etc., are predicated on the Princeton Reverb Re-Issue. I'd best stick with that. I did find a parts list at Hoffman Amps and may compare it to what I already have to see how much more $$$ I'm looking at for hand wired vs pcb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.