Build #3, Thread #1: My New Thinline Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freekmagnet, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

yes ,I am impressed.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  2. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to do any finishing. There was the holidays, then I was in be with a bad head cold, and since I do most of my painting outdoors, the weather here in SoCal has been an issue. It’s held at a fairly steady 52°-56° in the shade where I spray, and it has been very windy. Neither condition has been very conducive for painting outdoors.

Anyway, I sprayed the back with a couple coats of dye stain - a mixture of 2 parts GF Medium Brown, 1 part GF Orange and 1 part GF Amber. The GF dye stain had a ton of color, so I cut it by 20% with their reducer. Looks pretty good - I’m going to seal it with Seal Coat, mask the back and hit the front with some orange.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Kriticaster and RogerC like this.
  3. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I hit the front of the bass with some orange yesterday. Overall, it went OK! I had to sand it back once - the orange required a little more finesse out of my cheap spray gun than the medium brown mix did. It was no prob - I’d sealed the surface beforehand with de-waxed shellac. I think it looks pretty good!

[​IMG]

I have a little clean-up on the binding and then today, I might scrape the binding with a razor blade. It’s supposed to rain for a few days here in SoCal, so I probably won’t get to clear coating it for a while. The li’l Lady and I actually going on vacation this month - I was hoping to get this bad boy done before I left, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

eallen, Kriticaster and Zepfan like this.
  4. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

The word we use here in Southern California is, “Firme.”

[​IMG]

Kriticaster, Zepfan and AAT65 like this.
  5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow, that looks great!! I do love the orange.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  6. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I just thought I’d share this - I had my first repair job come through my shop.

[​IMG]

Kriticaster and Zepfan like this.
  7. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

This week, the weather and work constraints didn’t allow for me to get any clear coating done. I have to coat the body and I have maybe another round of 6-8 coats to put on the neck. I was hoping to do it today, but it’s raining like crazy here in SoCal. I’ll just have to wait until we get back from our trip next week. No worries - over the week I made a pickup and cut the shape for the pickguard. At first, I did an aluminum PG, but it just worked against the awesomeness of the orange. I cut a piece out of Garolite instead and sanded it do 400. I’ll clear coat it when I get home. I’ve seen some guys on TDPRI make lacquered Garolite pickguards and they look great. Here’s a photo of the bass laid out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Kriticaster, boop and Zepfan like this.
  8. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

The li’l Lady and I got back from our awesome vacation in Puerto Rico yesterday morning, so I set up a booth in the garage today and got straight to laying down a few coats of clear. I’m using the “new” WB Varathane. This is after 5 thin coats:

[​IMG]

So far so good - I just thinned it with a little water and it seems to be going on OK. I think the ProFinisher lays down better, but right now, I’m much happier with the quality of the gloss that I’m getting with the Varathane. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

Zepfan and guitarbuilder like this.
  9. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I sanded the first 7-8 coats down with 220 followed by 600. That usually works with the ProFinisher, but with the Varathane, it took a few more passes to fill in those 220 scratches. Next time I might try starting with 320 or 400.

I mixed Varathane cut with roughly 10% water and gave the bass 6-7 coats. I got a decent amount of flow and the finish is looking pretty smooth. So far, next to the Minwax Oil-Modified WB Polyurethane, this new Varathane seems to be my fave right now. Overall, it’s looking pretty good and I haven’t had to fight with it at all.

Tomorrow morning, I’ll sand it and do this whole process again. It’s supposed to be sunny and warm all weekend, so hopefully I can get a lot of painting done.

[​IMG]

Zepfan and Kriticaster like this.
  10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks great!!

Freekmagnet likes this.
  11. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

That is coming along very nicely!!

It makes me feel better that your build has taken even longer than mine

Although yours is a custom build and mine was just a Partscaster

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

Freekmagnet likes this.
  12. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

After letting my last 6-7 coats dry overnight, I hit the body with 400. It sanded really easily - almost too easily - and it took the peaks down without leaving any deep scratches. I went over it again with 600. I hope the final finish isn’t too soft.

I did a mix of 5% H20, 5% Floetrol and 90% Varathane. I didn’t see a big difference, but instead of 6 thin coats, I did 3 double coats and there were no drips. I have some errands to run, so I’ll come back later this afternoon and lay down a few more coats.

13. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

OK so last night, I kicked the mix up to 10% Floetrol / 10% H20. It was going to be my last few coats, and I figured that it would give me more flow and lay down pretty smoothly - and it did. However, I feel that I lost a little gloss, so I’ll probably sand it back a little tonight and hit it with a dryer mix.

On another note, I’ve been dry-sanding up to 400 with the 3M no-slip sandpaper I get at HD and Lowe’s. When I switch to the normal black 3M 600 paper, it packs up really fast. I might drop by Woodcraft today and see if they have that fancy sandpaper that Bruce likes.

14. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Here’s a good shot of the new Varathane finish before sanding and polishing - and just FYI, I’m using that cheap Harbor Freight spray rig. This is probably about 24 coats.

[​IMG]

Kriticaster and guitarbuilder like this.
  15. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Today, I spent this rainy day in the garage sanding and polishing. I did both the body and the neck. I’ll tell ya, this new WB Varathane is the bomb.

[​IMG]

I have a little touch-up to do around the bridge and on the counter-bores for the neck bolts on back. Other than that, we’re aces. This week, I’ll get started on assembling this bad boy.

I still have to make a pickguard. My original plan to use Garolite was a bust. When I sanded it, there were a bunch of brown splotches in the material. I assume that this was from impurities in the Garolite. No worries - I have some 3-ply pickguard material arriving Thursday.

I will also be building the electronics this week.

Kriticaster, eallen and Zepfan like this.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Sweet!

Freekmagnet likes this.
  17. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

I still have one or two spots to touch up, but I couldn’t resist joining the neck to the body to see how it looks...

[​IMG]

eallen, Zepfan, guitarbuilder and 3 others like this.
  18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Wow cant wait to see the rest come together

Freekmagnet likes this.
  19. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Meister

Me neither!

It should be done by this time next week. I realized I was out of 1/4” stereo jacks and my pickguard plan didn’t work - otherwise, it would be done today!

Thx.

Kriticaster likes this.
  20. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

I dig this picture of the twins! Non-identical, obviously, but I'm sure you love them both equally ;)

Can't wait to see her finished!

Freekmagnet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.