Build 3 - Something Different

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jim_in_PA, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I think I'm liking this little idea...

[​IMG]

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Great, clean build, man!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  3. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

I think I like it too, nice Jim!

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  4. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

That looks awesome, well done!
    Looks like a little fret sprout you might want to file off, tho...;)

5. Jim_in_PA

ROFLOL. True dat. But I think I like the gold frets for this one for sure. Hardware will largely be black so a tiny little bit of bling with the frets and, perhaps the knobs will do the trick.

Mr_Q and awasson like this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

On this particular build, today brought getting the "dots" all installed and the fretboard sanded and prepared for, well...fretting. "Pearloid" got the call here and turned out nicely. I used black CA which pretty much disappeared after sanding with this Indian Rosewood. (interesting "cinnamon" odor while sanding)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Nicholas, eallen and awasson like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

After spending the morning on design work for a client, I got a little bit of time in the shop this afternoon to work on this build. The short version is...fretted, dealt with the ends of the frets, did a lot of sanding on the neck and then glued the neck to the body. :) Definitely looks something like a guitar now. LOL

Sinking them home...this went a lot faster and easier as "this time" the fretboard radius was dead-nuts on. I bought an appropriate radius sanding block which removed any variation while I was knocking down the dots. The fret press head is a knock-off from EBay (Elmer brand) and works extremely well for this.
    [​IMG]

Nipped and abraded even to the edge of the fretboards...
    [​IMG]

Taped and then dressed the fret ends...easier to do that while the neck was still free of the body, although they will probably need a little more refining.
    [​IMG]

Final test fitting before glue...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And....glue up. It was easiest to start here at the vice so I could have two hands available to insure it was seated exactly right while tightening the clamp with the other hand.

[​IMG]

After it set for about 45 minutes, I inverted it and cleaned off any glue squeeze out while it was still pliable.

[​IMG]

Next steps include a whole bunch of finish sanding before coating this with a bunch of things to make it prettier.

8. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

Great looking build Jim! Do you mind if I ask what software you are using? I to build with CNC and have been using Vectric V Carve Pro. I have not done any 3d carving on my guitars with it, using it exclusivy.for pocketing, drilling and profiling. I would.like to start getting into making necks and was wondering what you are using.

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  9. maple

maple TDPRI Member

Just tidy work

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  10. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

Such clean work. Very well done!

11. Jim_in_PA

Gipper, I also use Vectric software. While I updated to Aspire early in the year to support some client work like these custom modeled magnolia motif appliqués on the fireplace in this all-walnut room...(which took eight hours each to cut...)

[​IMG]

...you can do a whole lot of great things using the molding toolpath that's available in the most recent versions of VCarve Pro. All of the contouring on this body was done using the molding tool path features...multiple iterations, of course. In general, you can do the same for modeling the back of the neck if you are careful and plan it out. I happened to start out with Alex Navaro's Telecaster files (Google search on NBASSES and contact him directly as his files are no longer online like they were; he's also on Facebook and Instagram under the same name) so I could learn some things I didn't have experience with, but at this point, I'm able to modify things pretty well, although I do have more capabilities with Aspire than with VCarve Pro.

------

I did a little more work today on this build...a LOT of sanding plus a little more attention to the fret ends as I was not happy with a few of them, drilling for the jack, masking off and then doing the first coat of Z-Poxy for grain filling the sapele.

The glue-up really went well and after sitting overnight. Solid.

[​IMG]

There was also that little operation to deal with where the jack goes before I proceeded to finishing steps. We'll start there. I'm using the nice looking metal inserts to hold the audio jack. The outer rim is 25mm/1", so the first step was to use a 25mm forstner bit to create a recess so that the rim sits flush with the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This also provided the pilot point for running the 7/8" drill through to the control cavity...not shown.

After some more final sanding...and some more final sanding....oh, and a little more final sanding, I masked off the fretboard and the various recesses and holes in the body in preparation for finishing.

[​IMG]

And then slathered on the first coat of Z-Poxy to grain fill the sapele and start things on the way to what will hopefully be a very nice finish. The body and headstock will likely get at least one additional coat of Z-Poxy after it's sanded back, but I'm not going to do that on the back of the neck as I don't want to build that area up too much. The Target Coatings sealer will be more than enough in that area without additional resin. Since I did coat all the surfaces, I hung the instrument for the resin to cure. Any subsequent applications will go on "flat" so the resin can settle down on the faces. That will take more time because of waiting between front and back, but should result in a better surface. Dat color though... :) :D

[​IMG]

12. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

That is looking very, very nice. Love that shot all the way up at #41.

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Thanks. The gold fret wire look awesome on this thing...It will add just a little bit of "special" with all of the rest of the hardware being black.

14. lancashiremick

lancashiremick TDPRI Member

Beautiful craftsmanship, Jim !

15. Jim_in_PA

Well, I have a bit of work to do to level that Z-Poxy, but they grain is most certainly filled. LOL

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Gipper

Gipper Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info. I thought you may be using vectric software based on some of the renderings you have posted. I have been using it for over 10 years now but I do need to upgrade as I am only on version 6.5. They have done alot of upgrades over the years, the first version I had didnt have a tool to draw a line! I had to make a box and delete 3 sides of it. Back then it wasnt meant to be a design tool as much as a toolpath generation platform. Downloaded trial of version 10 and will definitley be upgrading. To me it is the best software out there for folks like me who do not know CAD and I have designed many a guitar with it.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  17. Jim_in_PA

Yes, there are "YUGE" :D improvements in the subsequent Vectric versions and V10 has features that will be very useful to you, such as that molding toolpath. Very worthy of the upgrade cost, my friend. One other nicety is that licensing is fully electronic online and dot-releases are fed to you that way, too, so it's easy to stay up to date with bug fixes, etc.

18. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

Very nice build!!

19. Jim_in_PA

Mucho sanding later, the Z-Poxy is flat and the grain is filled really nicely. The downside to a heavy coat is the amount of sanding, The upside is that I don't need to do it a second time, at least on this instrument. I got lucky for sure. I'm happy with the results...

[​IMG]

After a through cleaning, I shot a very light coat of de-waxed shellac to be able to confirm visually that everything is filled to my satisfaction. I'll hit that with some 400 or 600 to knock off any nibs or whatever and can then start on my clear coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Looks great, Jim. I can’t help but admire that view along with the guitar.

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.