Build: 10 Watt Vibro Champ 1x12 Combo

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

You mentioned EL34 earlier, it may drive a little better at higher voltage.
    Ultimately, your 40-18109 only has 100mA to offer. You are squeezing it for the last bit of juice. I'd say keep squeezing!

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

It's a nice build, a neat work - congratulations Phrygian77 ! :cool:

IMHO, expecting 10W RMS output clean tone on rated impedance with a single EL34, 6L6 or the like with only 334VDC plate to cathode is optimistic. o_O I'd rather say that you would be around 6-7 watts clean tone (@400Hz, sine wave, just under the clipping onset on the scope).

It's what I notice on my similar builds (SE 6L6/EL34). My power transformer is a 300V/0.1A HV secondary, plus solid-state rectifier and 100µ/500V filter caps + choke. Sorry I don't have my schematic on hands to confirm the exact matching DC voltage values, nor the plate load I used (Hammond 125BSE transformer). I tested an EL34 and a 6L6 with no significative power output difference.

Like you planned to do it initially, I used a 8" speaker... Perfect for home use, but not for gigging, you said it... ;)

[​IMG]

On his mate, fitted with a 8" too, I integrated the tremolo effect of the Vibro-Champ, and and I agree : it's a good sounding tremolo...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a SE 6V6GTA output stage, where :

Vp = 314V
    Vs = 310V
    Vk = 19.6V
    Rk = 470R/5W + 22µF//

For a mighty 3WRMS clean tone output, via a (too tiny) 1750A Hammond transformer (5K/8R).

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20190802_140201.jpg

IMG_20190802_140234.jpg

I did some side by side testing with my blackface Bassman combo setup the way I usually gig with it, and I think this thing might just be loud enough. I'll find out tonight! It's also not as warm as I thought either. The stronger bottom end of the Bassman though with those 6L6s and the bigger cabinet was very apparent. It seems a little louder in the combo cab with the GB128 than it was through my Weber 1225 loaded 1936 cabinet.

I could turn this build into a head, and pair it with a 2x12 cab, maybe with a GB128 and a 1258. I still have another Vibro Champ chassis and a lot of faceplates! I may try to build the AA964 non-reverb Princeton circuit into one with JJ 6V6s SS rectified.

Yeah, lowering the NFB level would certainly increase the volume some. I would think that would make it a bit more midrangy also. I've got an NFB switch on my Bassman (it's way too loud and dynamic that way), and I put one on one of my PR builds.

I've got a 12" Scorpion (did I mention that in a previous post?). I like it OK. It reminds me of an EV or an Altec, fairly flat and uncolored.

I did that with the 5F1 circuit that I built in a PR chassis and cabinet. A 1uF works really well with the 1.5k cathode resistor. If I up the mid resistor, or add a mid boost pot (which I may do), I'd probably do that to tighten up the low end some.

That's why I bought the M6 version. I thought the 40-18027 that I've used in my PR builds might run a little hot, especially using the 550 secondary with an EL34.

Thanks! I haven't scoped it yet, but I think it's right at about 7 watts.

4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Can you gig with it? Yes! Yes, you can! It really surprised me how well it did with our 5 piece group in the little restaurant tonight. So, here's your blueprint for a single-ended giggable amp. Any less sensitivity in the speaker and it probably wouldn't have worked out.

MVIMG_20190802_204121 (1).jpg

Robear and GoKart Mozart like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.