Build: 10 Watt Vibro Champ 1x12 Combo

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Phrygian77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I was expecting a 1x8 cabinet, but this arrived instead...

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

So, I'm going to roll with it. I was originally planning to do a standard Vibro Champ first, then do a 10 watt version as a head.

I'll be using the 15 watt ClassicTone 40-18031 OT, using the 5k primary for a 5881 or EL34. PT is the ClassicTone 40-18109, using the 550VAC secondary SS rectified.

Checking fitment of components here...

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

I'm wondering if the closeness of the OT to the cap can is going to be a problem. These are 32+32 cans that I had for my Marshall build. I was going to do 64 for the main filter, 32 for the screens, and 32 for the preamp. Cathode bypass cap for the power tube will be a 100/100.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    JeffBlue, sds1 and Snfoilhat like this.
  2. Jorgen83

Jorgen83 TDPRI Member

What speaker are you using?

3. Phrygian77

Well, I don't know yet. I haven't decided. I didn't plan for this, so I've got a WGS G8C sitting in an unopened box. I've got an old Altec and a Scorpion laying around, but I'm not going to use those.

4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Nice mishap in your favor. Looks like it's intended for a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp instead. An EL84 build will be great in that cabinet. As far as a 12" speaker for it I would recommend a Celestion G12H if you can afford it or maybe just any 12" Eminence for Fender from a Blues Jr would be just fine and are cheap on evil bay because a lot of Blues Jr owners replace those for upgraded ones. I'll be watching this thread and looks like you're off to a great start.

5. Phrygian77

No, it had a sticker on the side of the box that said Vibro Champ 1x12.

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a MuchSX Champ built into a head, paired with a LopoLine open-back 1-12" cabinet. I put an Eminence 1258 in there. It's just a plain-jane, non-booteeky, American-voiced 12" but it sounds great, is louder than hell, and was cheap.

Even with a normal 5-watt Champ, our keyboard player once asked if we could move it to the other side of the stage because it was too loud, and it wasn't even pointed at him.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

"I'm wondering if the closeness of the PT to the cap can is going to be a problem. These are 32+32 cans that I had for my Marshall build. I was going to do 64 for the main filter, 32 for the screens, and 32 for the preamp. Cathode bypass cap for the power tube will be a 100/100." if you meant the OT, just diagonal it.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Cool build. I think you'll be leaving a few watts on the table if you want to bias up a 6L6GC with the 550V winding. If you use the 660V winding, you'll match the 5K OT real well. A few watts won't matter much to output volume, but will fit your OT better with the higher B+.

9. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I suppose, however the cabinet looks like it could house a Musicmaster Bass nicely.
    [​IMG]

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

The cap might be a touch warmer than if the transformer was farther away. I would drill a couple of holes and mount the OT a little farther but it might not matter too much.

11. Phrygian77

I didn't realize they're the same size chassis.

It has to go there, or I'd have to ditch the fiberboard that I have, and elevate a Garolite board on standoffs... And, that's not happening.

12. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Then there is no question, it will be fine.

13. Phrygian77

A lot of progress so far. I should have taken more pictures, but I was too busy working.

Pilot holes drilled in the eyelet boards for the mounting screws. Here I've just got the insulator board taped down to chassis to use as a template. Holes were all drilled with the drill press...

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0352_2.jpg

Test mounting the board. These are 5/16" 8-32 Swageform screws (thread forming). Holes were drilled 9/64.

IMAG0357.jpg

I've built a blackface Bassman, and three Princeton Reverbs with chassis from Zachmdhunter, and this is the first time I've had this problem. Same Belton 9-pin sockets that I always buy from Hoffman...

IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0363 (1).jpg

I didn't expect that, so I thought I was done drilling and filing. I had already wiped down the chassis with mineral spirits. :( A little elbow grease with a small round file, and wiped down again...

IMAG0369.jpg

14. Phrygian77

For some reason, the Mojotone fiberboard didn't have the holes drilled for the V1 grid wires that go under the board (the ones that come up over the 100k slope resistor). You can see in my last post where that I drilled them myself. This is why I normally like to make my own boards. I was just trying to save time.

It's not the first time I've had an odd problem with a Mojotone board. The blackface Bassman board didn't have the through hole for the second channel tone control wires. Also, the large blackface style filter board that I got was upside down, i.e., the eyelets were installed on the wrong side. @JKube had the same problem with the Mojotone cap board on his Twin Reverb build.

Moving on, I probably should have put more thought into the layout. We'll see how this works out. I'm going to have to tuck a lot of extra transformer wires somewhere also...

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    RatBug, sds1 and Snfoilhat like this.
  15. Phrygian77

I thought this was going to be a really easy build, at least compared to the Princeton Reverbs builds. Well, not so much.

IMG_20190730_182011.jpg

I'm not sure about my lead dress on the oscillator and cathode follower, but I don't know that it really matters that much. The lead dress examples I've seen in pre-CBS Vibro Champs didn't look so great. In this case the board is offset some because of the Keps nuts, so I couldn't really copy what Fender did anyway. I've got custom stuff everywhere, e.g., multiple can caps, variable cathode bias. I'm winging it.

IMG_20190730_225809.jpg

16. Phrygian77

Ugh... thought I'd be done by now now.! Ready to fire it up! Maybe tomorrow night. :(

IMG_20190731_022558.jpg

17. Phrygian77

Well, I'm a little disappointed. The clean tone isn't quite what I expected considering that I used a 6.8k mid resistor instead of a 15k. It seems a little dull, lacking some top end. The plate voltage was lower than I was anticipating, 334VDC plate to cathode. Maybe that's why it sounds a bit warm? It could also just be my ears today. I still need to A/B it with another amp.

Right now, it doesn't sound quite loud enough to gig with. I'm tempted to try the 630 secondary, but think that would be a bit too much for the 5881.

IMG_20190801_154343.jpg

I do like the tremolo a lot. Just as good as my PR builds, and definitely better than the opto coupler type.

Robear, Snfoilhat and Random1643 like this.
  18. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Maybe raise the NFB resistor a bit to add some brightness and volume. The Princeton Reverb I built this year really benefitted in both areas with a double value NFB off the speaker jack. Left the tail the same. After I got used to it, the stock position just sounded like it had a blanket over it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Your project is certainly a good one. I have a 1968 Silverface Fender Vibro Champ that I modified with a Mercury Magnetics output transformer (57 tweed) and modified the cab for a 10 inch speaker. I installed a 10 inch 4 ohm Peavey Scorpion and this amp sounds incredible. Don't overlook the Scorpion.

20. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Try lowering the v1 bypass cap value to bring up the mid and treble. Last year i built a Champ in a tweed Princeton cab with a 12" 15w Weber and I ended up changing that cap from 22uf to 1uf. That change really woke the amp up and it sounds fantastic, like it was built to drive a 12". I had experimented with a bunch of values too, but to my ears the 1uf was the best.

sds1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.