1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Buick Enclave Replacement

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 23, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Our current car is a 2015 Buick Enclave AWD. It has about 85,000 trouble free (so far) miles. Our last car was a (new) 2007 Buick Lucerne. I can't recall exactly but it also had about 85,000 trouble free miles. We'll be replacing the Enclave AWD in about a year. It is my wife's car. We want to take about one step down from the Enclave AWD in price. But I think we'll still go with an SUV with either AWD or 4WD (we live in the country in snow territory).

We've had great service from both our Buicks but for the first time in decades I'm entertaining the idea of buying a Japanese/American built car. I've always been a "buy American as much as I can" type of guy. But I realize that many "Japanese cars" are actually American made. Just an aside, but, I don't like underpowered cars. I'd like to have at least 225 HP. More would be great. I'd like to keep the price in the < $40,000 range. So, with that in mind and given the info above, what would you buy?

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Subaru Ascent. Made in Indiana by US autoworkers. Turbo with the horsepower you want, but runs on regular. Lots of space. The "Premium" trim level is in your price range.

IMG_E4259.jpg

3. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

spurgie79 and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of Subaru...

Best snow car ever made ...

P-Nutz, Nahtabot and fishermike like this.
  5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

My buddy had the Enclave. Great vehicle.

+1 for the Kia Telluride. Was about to pull the trigger on one in Feb before the madness began. Test drove 2 of them and fell in love with them. You must test drive the EX, S, or SX. The SX is $$$ but you might find a used one in your range, but the EX and S out the door is clearly in your range.

I stupidly and ignorantly frowned upon the 'inferior' Korean manufacturers until I finally came around. Got a used 2017 Kia Sorrento for my wife and we love this car. I will be looking again next spring at the Telluride. Kia and Hyundai are the real deal.

Nahtabot likes this.
  6. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

One of my relatives just got a GMC Acadia, slightly smaller than the previous version, and loves it. The powertrain and ride are very smooth.
    Jeep GC motor and trans have good reputations.
    Also see Hyundai Santa Fe

7. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

My wife has a Buick Encore (less expensive and smaller than the Enclave) which has AWD and is great in the snow. In fact, it has larger tires than my RAV4! BTW, when we lived in New Hampshire, we always put on snow tires in the winter. Made a MAJOR difference in handling and safety in the snow.

reactor99 likes this.
  8. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Do you need three rows of seats?

If not, you can stick with Buick and look at the Envision (if you are going to stay the GM directions) or the Equinox from Chevrolet.

If you decide to pursue the Subaru Ascent, I sell them. PM me, and I'll furnish you with enough ammo to get a pretty fair deal on a nice SUV.

Plus, the AWD drive system that every other manufacturer attempts to emulate.

~syf

StevesBoogie likes this.
  9. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

We have a Toyota Highlander. New would be a little over your budget, but used, still amazing car.

We have the adaptive cruise, lane keeper, brake assist, blind spot option.

It saved our lives.

A slower car texting or such whipped over into our lane on I75 and our car slowed from 75 to 40 in about 50 feet. I hit he brakes and was sure we would hit her, but the brain in the car avoided locking up the tires and in a blink we were safe.

Love the blind spot monitor too as I am getting older and slower.

Whatever you buy, get the premium safety package. You'll thank me later.

Good luck. I hate buying vehicles, but love getting them. Lease?

10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I‘ve been driving a 2020 Nissan Murano for about a month. My sister has an Enclave. There is no comparison. The Nissan has the same V6 as in the Maxima. 265 hp and it moves. Much better handling car than the Buick. Excellent highway car. I’m getting over 25 mpg. No turbos or superchargers.

Nahtabot likes this.
  11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

the enclave are nice if you liked those you will love the tahoe/yukon

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Chev Equinox. We’ve had two. Problem free, drove well.

14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They are nice, but many folks are still having to pay above MSRP just to buy them.

15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

did the Americans really name a car model "the Enclave"? that is so unbelievably weird.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.