Bugera V5 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by waitcoatmn, Nov 16, 2010.

1. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Cute as the little "Bugger" (groan) was, mine got solf almost as soon as it came out of the shipping box. Couldn't find a single useable tone in it. There are some links to articles on how to get the omnipresent mud out of it but it wasn't worth the PCB hassle. Punt

2. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought mine in 2007 or 2008 . Used it primarily in the band's rehearsal room which was pretty small , maybe about 18'x18' . Band broke up in 2009 and I put the V5 in the closet , hadn't played it in 10 years . Saw a thread on here yesterday about mods for them so I got it out today , noticed I had changed the speaker out for a Weber . 10 years ago I wasn't aware of tube variations so it still had the Bugera ( Chinese ? ) tubes in it . I put a Tung Sol EL84 in and a EH 12ax7 and tried it out , was very pleased with it . Then I tried it through a 1x12 cab I have , even better . Today I ordered a couple caps to do one of the mods , it can only get better !

Stiles and Bluesy_Bobby like this.
  3. Dauntless

Dauntless Tele-Meister

:cool:

4. Bluesy_Bobby

Bluesy_Bobby TDPRI Member

Hi Haleysr, very old post I know but do you have any tutorial of how you did it?

Thanks a lot

5. Bluesy_Bobby

Let us know your impressions after the caps modding, on mine it was like day and night!

6. Bluesy_Bobby

Could you post a picture of the front pannel?

Stiles likes this.
  7. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

I bought one of these used , Infinium V5, was practically new except it had been upgraded with an Eminence 820 hemp speaker and had a Mullard el84 and Mesa 12ax7 ........ I played with it for a while but then found I couldn't live with the dark sound, and it had the upgrades .... after a year of searching for usable tones I decided to put a bright cap across the volume pot like many have done ..... so I opened it and drained filter caps and installed an old ceramic 100pf disc cap that I got from a 1959 Hammond organ ...... it made all the difference, gave me that little bit that was missing..... played it for hours ...... found loads of usable tones ..... hooked it up to a 12" cab and loved it ....... what a difference a cap makes!

8. dronester1

dronester1 TDPRI Member

That's interesting, I haven't checked this forum in ages, I have an elderly V5 (pre-infinium), and I really used to like it, but then I found a pawn shop just down the road from me, and apparently some poor guy (We should probably take off a hat for him or something. I don't think he got sick, but may have been given the "old lady ultimatum" because I walked in the store one day and started flipping out on the few quality guitars and stuff that suddenly appeared! Knowing the staff is a good thing, but if necessary I can go one further as my pops knows all of their regional management. So I started the layaway machine and ended up with a few nice US Strats, a lovely USA LP Studio, as well as a gigantic UK-built VOX AC30/6 TB with greenbacks and an old style egg-shaped footswitch. It weighs more than I do, but I only paid $750 and it worked (needs work, but for $750 it was worth it, when I decide what to do with it). I have a Vox MV-50 Rock Head, and a horrid little junker of a solid state amp (Marshall Master Lead Combo, absolutely horrible, except that it's a decent cab - free, that could easily be cut and given one of my Greenbacks to go with the MV-50). Although I've seen this particular Marshall turned into a Fender Tube Amp, and it turned out really incredibly good, especially if I spent a little bit more for a speaker upgrade, then I could possibly have the AC30TB fixed properly. I have so much more stuff from that 6 months of debt that I haven't mentioned, too, like a Martin 000C-16RTGE, a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass, AND a MX Fender Telecaster (except I like my Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele better, I just bought the Mexi because it had a Seymour Duncan '59 single-sized humbucker that I figured would be better than the stock Squier pups. I'm sure the neck lipstick pup is probably better on the MX Tele than the CV Squier Tele. Whoa.. tangent, I have to go and actually get something done today.

emisilly likes this.
  9. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just dropped in a Celestion Eight 15 and I’m hear to tell you it is a wonderful upgrade.

Florida Sam likes this.
  10. Florida Sam

Florida Sam Tele-Meister

I went pawn shop hunting last weekend and found a tiny, pawn shop in the middle of nowhere. The owner was a really nice guy.
    He had a practically unused V5 Infinium so I had to bring it home for $120.00.
    I've got vintage Fender and boutique amps coming out of my earholes but I wanted to see if this little bugger could hang with my $$$ stuff.

I was very impressed. Not blown away, but very impressed.

First thing, and counter intuitive to it's bargain price, I put a 1960's Mullard EL-84 and an RCA 12AX7A in the tube sockets.

Oh yeah. Sparkle and chime as good as anything.

Lastly I put the Celestion Eight 15 in it.

That's it. I've been plugging into this all week, Les Pauls, Teles, Gretsch. All sound way better than an amp this cheap should sound.

Honestly though, the Mullard made the biggest difference to my ears. That really brought out that 3D swirl.

emisilly, Stiles and Dauntless like this.
  11. dronester1

dronester1 TDPRI Member

I'm looking hard at my old Bug and starting that guitar guy (or gal) thing where you kind-of twitch, and crazy ideas start popping up in the noggin', and my favorite part of the V5 is the attenuator. I have seen every possible speaker swap discussed here, and I sold the original turbo sound, and have tried a Jensen Special Design 8ohm (meh) and a Celestion Super 8 GBA-15 (meh²), but I've seen a lot of people who are in love with some of the Eminence 8" (patriot, etc.). After I make sure nothing is fried before firing it up, I'm not looking for murky or dark bluesy, I want to try and get some chimey British out of it. Recommendations on Tubes or speaker? It's a pre-Infinium V5, so it might not work, and I was very intrigued by the capacitor change for cleans a few comments ago. Would I be better off with a Mono price 15watt? Or even the Joyo Sweet Baby 15 sounds good on the internet. Or do I go all in after a couple of months, faster if I sell something, and look for a Joyo Mjolnir OR (I'm sure most of you have seen the comprehensive 2hr. Youtube video) look for a Wang's 15 tube head? That thing really shines against some tough competition. I dunno. I'd love to go out and drop whatever on a Supro combo and call it done, but the DIY in me says no. The AC30/6 TB is out because it weighs a metric ton, so old me needs tone in a smaller package, not necessarily cheap! But I don't want to be trying to unload something on Reverb because I hate it. I always shudder when I see someone who plunked down $8K or more building their dream guitar through the custom shop, hate it and are hoping they can get $7k... I have to hold it, test the weight, just feel it before I pull trigger. But with amps I kinda have to go by what I see and hear from someone else. Oh, it has to love pedals, or preferably have a loop. Sorry to ramble. I know I will do exactly the wrong thing when it comes to my amps. I pick amazing guitars, but sales pitches kill me on amps. Def. No GC, thank God we have a private music shop with unbelievable inventory and 50 year vets here in Corpus Christi. We also have Lots of pawn shops and I know everyone who works at them.

12. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

i have one on the way. Reading through this thread i only got to 2013. Has Bugera made any improvements in 7-8 years to the quality of the OEM tubes or the manner in which the tube cage is installed, or do these same recommendations of tube swaps/cage removal still apply to the new models?

13. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

okay, laughing a little bit at how much of the commentary centers on the "muddiness" of the amp. Plainly, that is what we used to call the character of small Fender tube amps ( and Gibtones and others). The fix for that is running it into a 12" ext cab, period. Even running a 10" in the small combo enclosure can't modify the overall character. I like that i can use it in a small space and it isnt shrill. An EQ is your friend to accentuate highs, and even my drive or comp pedals have enough tone control without adding much gain to boost the sparkle. I run mine thru a Line 6 Firehawk as just a stomp with semi para eq or my Mooer Radars para EQ boosting the highs.

Tubes? yeah, the powertube rattles. Replace em both with at least EHX or JJ and you should be fine.

Enjoy the stock speaker for its vintage charm and portability and pick up the next decent 112 or 212 combo you see on clist that has a dead amp to convert to an ext cab!

14. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

As i have time, fiddling with the parametric EQ on my Mooer radar (5 band) and im accomplishing more there than what ive heard with speaker swap or bright cap mods, and much simpler. And by improvement i mean my humbuckers sound good now through the V5. i dont think a standard graphic eq pedal would help, but maybe the modded GE-7 would?

https://xacttone.com/xts-midrange-graphic-modded-ge-7.html

here's a really budget friendly option:

Artec SE-PEQ Parametric Equalizer Compact and Powerful New /Nice Player Favorite Fast *U.S.* Ship https://reverb.com/item/455636-artec-se-peq-parametric-equalizer-compact-and-powerful-new-nice-player-favorite-fast-u-s-ship?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=455636-artec-se-peq-parametric-equalizer-compact-and-powerful-new-nice-player-favorite-fast-u-s-ship

anyhow, ill post my eq settings soon.

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Proof positive that no ones ears can ever agree on anything.:rolleyes:

16. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

started with the frequencies on the XTS Boss GE-7 and tweaked to taste. its a good starting point.

20201230_113348.jpg

...was able to cut these levels in half when using my drive pedals -klon and OCD clones.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  17. user n ame

user n ame NEW MEMBER!

amateur question - how do i replace the jewel?

18. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

i nixed the Mooer para EQ and found the sweet spot using the Semi-parametric EQ on my Firehawk. Very Tweed-like. I had purchased the caps for the mod but dont see myself ever doing that now.

Screenshot_20210207-083707_Firehawk Remote.jpg

A cheaper way to go would be these Artec pedals that are available again. Disregard the slaughtered english language in the advert, they make good stuff. I have a number of their pickups in my guitars.

Artec SE-PEQ Parametric Equalizer Compact and Powerful New /Nice Player Favorite Fast *U.S.* Ship https://reverb.com/item/455636-artec-se-peq-parametric-equalizer-compact-and-powerful-new-nice-player-favorite-fast-u-s-ship?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=455636-artec-se-peq-parametric-equalizer-compact-and-powerful-new-nice-player-favorite-fast-u-s-ship

19. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

okay, i'm a hopeless modder. Went ahead and did bright cap mod and its really worth doing, but a PITA on the Infinium model. I ordered a used Jensen MOD 8-20 off reverb that was cheap to try out. I know the C8R gets some love here but anyone try the MOD?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.